IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:22 AM, austinpop said:

Followup on Farad Super 3 PSU

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my impressions of the Farad Super 3 PSU here. I listed my next steps in the summary.

As promised, here is my followup. This time, I'll describe the 15V unit of the Farad Super 3, and the soon-to-be-unveiled Level 3 silver cable. After having put the 15V unit and the L3 cable through the same burn in procedure as the previous 12V unit, I was ready for some comparisons. I used the same power cable (Cardas Clear) and DC cable (Farad Level 3) on both the 12V and 15V versions of the Farad Super 3.

Comparison of the Farads powering the Chord Hugo TT 2

I was actually a bit taken aback at how big an improvement I got going to 15V! Well, I knew the TT2's SQ improved when powered at 15V vs. 12V, but with the Farads I could barely believe I was listening to the same power supply, just at different voltages. The improvement centered around 2 areas:

• Bass: I was listening to Quia Fecit from Arnesen's Magnificat. The movement starts with a deep bass drone. This drone was startlingly more physical and visceral with the 15V supply.
  • Image size: This track - indeed, the whole album - does an excellent job projecting the spacious ambience of the Nidaros Cathedral, Norway where it was recorded. While the 12V supply does an excellent job, the image just grows in all 3 dimensions with the 15V supply. 

Now, keep in mind, this comparison was primarily applicable to the TT2. Not all components accept a range of voltages, and even if they do, they don't necessarily exhibit big SQ differences with higher voltages.

Comparing the Farad 15V with other PSUs powering the TT2

I compared the Farad 15V to the following supplies:

• Stock TT2 15V SMPS: Just like my initial comparison with the 12V unit, this was a significant step up in SQ. The Farad just sounds cleaner, more relaxed, and richer than the stock PSU.
  • Power Add Pilot Pro battery: this battery only has 12V and 16V settings, and the TT2 will not accept 16V. While the battery @ 12V is a nice step up from the stock SMPS, the Farad 15V takes SQ up by another quantum leap. Again, the main areas of improvement are bass and image size, along with more incisive transients.
  • SR4-15: this comparison is pending until Paul has tested the SR4-15's ability to handle a 3A inrush transient.

Comparing the Farad 15V with an SR-7 SR (single regulator) 15V rail powering the Chord Hugo TT 2

The SR-7 (using the Paul Hynes DC3FSXLR cable) still held an SQ advantage over the Farad Super 3, but the difference was quite modest. Since SR-7 rails are typically a scarce resource for those who have them, I would be quite happy to use a 15V Farad on the TT2, and allocate the SR7 rails to devices for which it matters more.

Impressions of the prototype Farad Level 3 silver DC cable

This is a clear step up from the Level 2 cable. In my listening, I found it very, very similar to the Oyaide FTVS-910 cable I mentioned in my prior report. Compared to the Audio Sensibility Signature, the difference was subtle. The L3 cable was more visceral in the bass, while the AS cable had a hint more air and transparency. I'd be hard pressed to prefer one over the other, and it would come down to a question of system synergy.

Final Conclusions

The Farad Super 3, in addition to being an excellent PSU as I found in my previous report, has the added advantage of a continuous current capacity of 3A. This puts it in a unique position compared to lower powered supplies like the LPS-1.2 and the SR-4. The field of high-quality PSUs with current capacity over 2A is quite limited, and the Farad is a welcome addition. I can see it being a great fit for DACs, and other current-hungry devices like NUCs.

For my use case of powering a Chord Hugo TT2, the Farad Super 3 was not only up to the task, its SQ while doing so was excellent. 

I next look forward to Mattijs' higher current Farad supply, now in active development.

Hello everyone

Just arrived!  Found this forum after reading Rajiv's excellent review of the iFi Pro iDSD.  As it happens, that is the DAC I recently purchased and I am now thinking of upgrading the power supply.  The Farad Super 3 looks extremely promising (also based on Rajiv's and some other people's reviews here 😃), but I am a little worried the 3A might not be enough - especially since the Pro iDSD comes with a 15V/4A SMPS and iFi suggests a "minimum of 60VA rating".  However, the same goes for Rajiv's Chord TT2 and he seems to be using the Farad without any issues nonetheless.  

Would anyone be willing to comment on whether it might be unwise to go for the Farad?  Would the Paul Hynes SR5 perhaps be a safer option?  Or am I being overcautious because the Pro iDSD will never draw 4A with normal use?

Greatly looking forward to your insights!

Many thanks

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi, welcome to AS.

This is a very good question, and you're in luck - a local friend of mine has just gone through exactly this thought process with this DAC. He really liked the Farad Super 3 15V driving the Pro iDSD, but then realized how much better it got when we tried my 15V/6A SR-7 rail with it. He ended up getting an SR5-15F which has a 5A continuous/30A transient capacity, and this was a big step up from the Farad.

It's no knock on how good the Farad is - the DAC use case really benefits from current capacity, so the PSU selection process needs to weight current capacity much more in this use case.

Hi Rajiv

Thanks!  That is a very clear answer - the SR5 it shall be then.  

Perhaps a bit of a silly question, but would you also happen to know what kind of connector I would have to order for the Pro iDSD (2.1 mm or 2.5 mm)?  I am asking because the iFi DAC has not been delivered yet and I thought it might be wise to win some time by ordering the SR5 right away... 

Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Oddly, despite the current rating, the DC input jack on the iFi Audio Pro iDSD is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.  (I know because there are a bunch of JS-2 owners powering their Pro iDSD units at 12V.) The Pro iDSD is specified for 9V~18V with lower current drawn at higher voltages, indicating that its DC input stage is handled by DC-DC switching regulators (which is of course fine when done properly).

Hi Superdad

Wonderful, many thanks!  I would in fact have expected 2.5mm, so it's good that I asked 😁