IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

....here's a nice quote about the quality of the NUC from Andrew Gillis:

click here

"You could get the sonicTransporter to work as a player but the sound quality would be low compared to a microRendu or Sonicorbiter SE.

You can try to use it as a player if you want but don’t expect great sound. The quality should be about the same as a NUC "....

so I'm holding my breath at the moment!

On 3/15/2019 at 8:01 AM, Dutch said:

It’s a small computer in a fanless case. A NUC is also a small computer that can be built into a fanless case. The sonicTransporter is not a NUC though.

Shunyata Research makes power cords, your toaster comes with a power cord. Your toasters power cord is not a Shunyata.

I think you catch my drift! 🙂

thanks, yes, but I already knew that my friend - lol!

you missed the point!   ...he's calling down the quality of the NUC, wink wink

On 3/16/2019 at 3:03 PM, Dutch said:

And you seemed to have missed my point! :) My point is very simple: don’t compare apples and oranges, whether it be power cables, small computers or even different models of NUC’s. There is no ‘the NUC’, there’s dozens of models. If you have followed this thread you’ve read that the best results thus far come from the NUC7i7DN’xx’ models but all ‘sound different’.

NB. The post you linked to is from May 2016 BTW so there’s also no way he was discussing the same NUCs we are in this topic.

Thanks! good point! I wonder if  andrew feels the same way today about NUC's? (he does have a vested interest in his own equipment though; his own gear will have moved on since then too).

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

Alex, with two or three LT3045 regulators powering most signal carrying devices here, I've noticed that the second and sometimes, third LT3045s add a lot of value in an increasing returns kinda way. With his current approach, Amir is never going to hit the tipping point, beyond which additional regulation adds increasing value.

....is there any value in adding additional regulation to these:

(middle one is MCRU/LDA)

1657544994_SboosterBOTWLPSU(4x)b.jpg.4e23222dbe311076a1e14a5cf89b9c79.jpg

324716287_MCRULDALinearPowerSupply5V-2A.thumb.jpg.09ef006a3d3c5868419cff8db42f4daf.jpg

780442072_30WUltra-LowNoiseLinearPowerSupplyDCRegulated5V-32VACFiltered(2x).thumb.jpg.e02015558f578e1a382aea848d40a00a.jpg

thanks

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Yeah I get it. Am just saying its also madness unless you just won the lottery.

The SoTM switch is $1700 with the sclk-EX and clock input. Another $200 for the Evox caps and silver wire. Times that by two and factor in two decent PSUs and your approaching 5 grand! For network switches!

Most music lovers will never spend $5000 on a HiFi or components. Let alone spending that on making the Ethernet signal nice.

And that's before we factor in the Master Clock.

Perhaps I'm just in a funny mood but jeezo. We've lost our minds somewhere...

I always assumed I'd sell my AQVOX SE to fund or part fund an EtherRegen or sNH-10G. Daisy chaining them never occurred to me. 

Cheers,

Alan

hi Al.

$5000 - would you get a better return for the investment (bang for buck) by upgrading say the speakers!

SoTM switch/sclk-EX/clock input/PSU's; Vs. speaker upgrade?

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

For those that like all the extra boxes ;) The JCAT Net card can be powered using an external 5V (>=1,5A) power source. The upcoming Sonore OpticalModule will accept 5-9V so in theory it’s possible to power both using one PSU set to 5V and an Y-cable.

I’m currently using a cheap TP Link MC220L to one of my server NIC’s, the other NIC (both bridged) is connected to the NUC endpoint. Both will be replaced soon by the JCAT Net card. I may replace the TP Link with an OpticalModule when it becomes available to still enjoy the benefits of the full galvanic isolation fiber optics offer.

Then later I could also use the etherREGEN between the server and endpoint. With the other audiophile switches like SOtM, TLS, ... this seems to be the preferred setup.

Another option would be to sacrifice the bridge functionality, use the fiber input of the etherREGEN for the connection to the main network, connect the end-point to the isolated 100mbps output port of the etherREGEN and the server to a RJ45 port on the other side of the ‘isolation moat’. I would then not need the opticalModule.

One could also use two etherREGENs; one in front of the server and one in between server and endpoint.

So many exciting options for us audiophiles nowadays, good times!! :)

can you do a diagram of all these boxes linked up?

JCAT Net card

Sonore Optical Module

TP Link MC220L

server NIC’s

NUC

Sonore Optical Rendu

Uptone Ether REGEN

Uptone Iso Regen

SOtM switches

sCLK-EX

tx usb ultra

TLS switches