IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:47 AM, rickca said:

Sorry I've never owned an SOtM sMS-200Ultra, so I don't know the answer.

I posted this elsewhere. Worked for me. Hope it helps.

I highly recommend doing the upgrade via an external PC/memory card. The update took me 18 minutes. I turned off the SMS-200ultra neo, unplugged the USB and master clock cable, did the update via download to a PC and micro to USB card (18 mins). I plugged the card back in and went to the IP address. 4.5 shown as the version. I powered down once more, plugged the cables back in and started the unit once again (just to be safe). Roon play perfectly without adjusting any settings.   The instructions link for this process is buried in the instructions: http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image  

To be safe I did not use the original 8GB SOtM card. I purchased a 16GB class 10 card. 

Question:

First,  my apologies if this has already been answered as I am still working my way through the 500 pages of great information. 

With a Chord DAC (Qutest) and the Hugo M-scaler, does an SOtM USBultra still add value?

My setup is as follows:

- i5 small green computer (separate room)

- Netgear nighthawk router (separate room)

- SOtM sms200ultra neo SE with master clock input

- SOtM master clock (only connected to SOtM player presently)

- Chord M-scaler (just ordered)

- Chord Qutest DAC

- Pass Labs XP10 preamp

- Pass Labs XA30.8 amp

- Focal Maestro speakers

Thanks in advance for the insight.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone who runs and SOtM sms200 ultra and a seperate roon core noticed a huge difference in sound when changing the settings from Fixed volume to Software controls volume? I would have thought Fixed volume would have been best - allowing the preamp to control the volume. However, using the software to control the volume is making a massive improvement in my sound. It is like I just took a sheet off my speakers. The sound is so much more crisp from low to high. I now have my DAC running direct to my amp, bypassing the pass labs preamp.

Any others with similar experience?

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

On many systems, the Roon DSP volume setting can sound better then fixed or device volume. Get well soon!

This is good to know as the difference in my case was massive. Before it sounded like the highs and mids were behind a sheet and the lows were being heard from another room. 

I have a DAVE on the way to replace my Qutest and Preamp but in the meantime I guess I will just enjoy the inproved dynamics of having the Quetest go direct to my pass labs amp. 

Outside of upsampling  (I also have an m-scaler on the way) or DSP,  are there any other settings that tend to improve SQ - even though the rationale may not be all that clear?

• 4 weeks later...

The x10 is my router/internet and is in a closet 100 feet away from my listening room. It is connected to the internet cable coming into the house. Previously I had an RJ45 cable running from the router to the listening room, connecting to the SOtM switch. This was replaced by fiber. I gained galvanic isolation from my sonictransporter (also 100 feet away connected to the X10). I also think I gained a cleaner (less loss) signal but I have no way to confirm that - just the sound. The X10 is just a beast. It is a 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor. My only guess is that similar to the NUC findings, the extra processing power ensures that it can handle network traffic very well - i.e. it is not struggling to perform tasks.

Ok.. I just cannot get over the difference. Another question. There is so much talk about cables - copper, 7N, pure silver, shielded,  dielectric, etc... however, there are also transceivers that convert RJ45 and USB to optical and then back. Has anyone tried to run as much optical as possible in their system to isolate noise/EMI at every step in the chain?

• 2 months later...

I've made many tweaks since my last post. None were worth posting. None have had the impact that the SFP fiber had.... until now. Townshends podiums are unbelievable. Bases/stands at the bottom of the speakers in the pictures.  The separation of sound is amaizing. You can place your hand on the top of the platform and feel the vibrations from all frequencies. Then you place your hand on the floor (second floor / wood, not concrete) and you feel nothing. The bass is clean, which I expected. What I did not expect was the clarity from the mids and highs. Unbelievable. 20190616_192558.thumb.jpg.ba50b7e49ef0059ada49ddc9153f4a52.jpgI did only one speaker first to have an a/b compare - and to save my back. These speakers weigh close to 300 pounds each. The difference is not subtle. I know many of you run headphones but those who do not, make the investment. Improvement is like going from a 6 to a 10, with only one speaker done. No telling what two will sound like.