IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 hours ago, bodiebill said:

For many no option I guess, but I am now enjoying the best thinkable network topology with no network devices or -connections having an adverse effect on SQ: namely no network at all.

I tried many things in order to eliminate the nasty effects of network activity on the sound. RJ-45, fiber, JCAT net card FEMTO, MikroTik and Cisco SFP routers, LPS's to match, and the SQ got better and better. Converging to the SQ that can only be had by... no network at all.

I did try this before, over a year ago, but then I had a DAC (Lampizator) that made DSD sound much better than PCM, and upsampling to DSD256 with HQPe/EC was the best achievable. This for me required a network.

Now I have a DAC (Denafrips) with glorious PCM and I no longer feel the need to convert/upsample to DSD256. And wtfplay is an gorgeous player for PCM that eliminates all frills and totally concentrates on SQ. In spite of many requests the author of wtfplay has not added remote control via network to his player, and I can understand why. It would lower the SQ.

Controlling wtfplay with a tiny keyboard with trackpad and a monitor (a tv) is actually quite easy and user friendly. You can even create a playlist and then play it from the command line, with no need for a GUI. 

I could have spared myself a lot of cost (including that for the LPSU's) and much trouble, but it was fun to do. And I may occasionally go back to a network setup for convenience. But the SQ I am now hearing is hard to resist and forgo.

Hello! 

I have read your statement with so much interest. To make the long story short, if you are looking for maximum sound quality, your approach, although understandable and acceptable, to my experience is absolutely wrong. 

On the other hand, overdoing the net way is also completely wrong. The truth seems to be lying in the details and clever moves & decisions. 

I will note some issues. First of all, the magnitude of impact of the VGA is probably enough on its own to make you abandon this idea in a couple of minutes. In all my systems, the presence of an active VGA adapter either on the MoBo or inside the CPU is absolute catastrophe. In addition, splitting the server and playback services in different pcs is a move you can't go backwards. I have been through this numerous times. A fine tune (not to the max) of a two pc setup can't compete against a single pc setup. Not a chance. 

I could mention several more parameters. You can enjoy your music through a single point but when we are talking of sophisticated network builds, we talk of totally different scales of quality. 

With kind regards

Pavgeris

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
5 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Hi pavgeris. If I understand well you always prefer a 2 box setup (with network) to a one box setup? I am asking as the second sentence seems to say the opposite.

I did not mean to be categorical and remain open to different topologies, but reported the change in SQ between my previous complex 2 box setup and the new 1 box setup.

I did wonder about the effect of the hdmi and keyboard, compared to that of a NIC (and everything behind it).

Hard to identify the key reason for the 1 box setup to sound better (to my ears), as so many things are different, including the SW. But given that it does and that so many devices can be removed, makes me prefer it for now. 

I have no experience with keyboard /mouse but the video adapter is for sure detrimental. 

I am now upgrading my network, I will let you know about my results. 

4 hours ago, Downtheline said:

Can you expand on this? I've not come across this report before. 

Very easy! 

Fine tune everything and after you have finished by being able to fully control remotely, take off the vga adapter or alternatively, switch it off through the bios or jumpers. You can't go backwards. It is beyond logic to upgrade all your stuff and leave vga working! 

On 5/23/2020 at 12:07 AM, dctom said:

Thanks for this.

Thought I would give the TP-Link 3468 v.3 a try as it is such a low cost. Unfortunately it seems to create a hardware conflict with my Z390 phantom MB and OS. I am running audiolinux are you using windows?

No. I am using Euphony Linux. Not a conflict in 4 systems! 

7 hours ago, dctom said:

Thanks - have got it to work now - however , strangely, I need to start up with ethernet cable disconnected, then plug it in when computer is up and running. Otherwise the system will not recognise my internal NVMe internal library storage?

So strange! 

Do you notice anything better with this little card? In my systems it was a clear winner in every aspect. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MagnusH said:

Here is a little USB tweak I made to a cheap TP-Link network card. Nothing to fancy, I just cut the 3.3v connection to PCIe and patched in a linear voltage regulator board and a connector to get external power (currently using a battery pack, 4*AA). It made a nice improvement to the sound though, calmer and more fluent. 

But I would like to take this further, maybe a better clock? Or cut the ground connection to the PCIe and make the card floating (will the card work after?). Suggestions are welcome 🙂

791059265_PCIeNUCmod.thumb.JPG.08ec4cdb5007b880ea28f97c9d70ea6e.JPG

I see that you have made a nice little mod on this board.

It is fantastic!

Did you cut only one trace on the pcb? If I ma correct there exist 4x 3.3V connectors on PCIe interface.

I also see that you desoldered the LEDs. I hope that you got really nice sound out of this mod...

2 hours ago, MagnusH said:

I also just ordered a 25Mhz NDK NZ2520SD for $6 (but shipment $30 from Japan), going to connect that to the regulator board and then the clock output to the little black chip's clock input and cut the connection to the old clock. Lets see if it makes any difference (the clock has very low phase noise).

That's so nice.

Please inform us of the upgrade as soon as you complete the process.

I had uploaded a little article about this card about a month ago. Did you already have this hard or maybe you read that post and you decided to get it?

If you read the article and then you decided the upgrade, then I am very curious/interested of your findings. I hope I'm not the only one here... Personally I liked this little card a lot!

Thanks for your update.

14 hours ago, Nsxturbo said:

Great report!

I recently received my 2nd Buffalo BS-GS2016 to add to my 1st one, which currently is just running on a 12v linear supply and connected to a EtherRegen clocked with the Mutec REF10. I’m actually liking the Finisar transceivers over the Planet Tech’s.(more air and delicacy without loss of detail or dynamics.)

Looks like I’ve got more experimenting to do besides the 2nd linear supplied Buffalo😉 I might as well try replacing one of the Buffalo’s 25Mhz clocks with a sCLK-EX 25Mhz synthesized output fed by the REF10, since I already those two pieces in the stable. That will give us all another data point!

I have tried to find the BS-GS2016 model but it is absolutely unavailable in Europe. Not a single shop has it available, so I got a pair of the same but with 8 ports, without SFP, as I am not interested in SFP at all. I got the BS-GS2008 whoch should normally be the same but with fewer ports (also not needed). I am expecting to receive them soon so I will let you know of my impressions.

11 minutes ago, Nsxturbo said:

Crazy thing about the availability, because I’m in the US but actually got my last one on EBay from Italy! Go figure.

It is out of stock throughout the planet. It seems that the HiFi maniacs have gone crazy with this Melco switch. The S100 model is like the BS-GS2016. Not being interested in SFP at all, I think that 2008 is still preferred, inside they are the same but with fewer ports and (logically) less noise. I will try it and will let you know further.

FYI, I have been notified by the greatest network guru in Greece that the audiophiles *MUST* purchase two net switches and *NEVER* one. Stacked switches is definitely the way to go if they are used in a HiFi system. A local friend had purchased 1x S100 and when he tried to stack a second identical machine, he was shocked in awe! One machine is not enough, as dual switches help cancelling out the induced noise instead of trying to filter it. Noise filtration can't be effective because HF always finds a way to pass through. This is what I have been informed by the greatest network guru here. He also told me that anyone who buys very expensive switches does not know what he's doing. It is preferable to stack two cheap machines instead of getting one very expensive unit. This is what exactly he told me about this issue.

13 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I am not sure about that. The Melco board is exactly the same as the BS-GS2016 board. But it's installed in a chassis that does not have opening for the top 8 ports, so you only see the bottom 8 ports. 

People who have been tinkering with the Buffalo BS-GS2016 before the Melco existed have noticed that using the bottom ports sounded better than the top. That's how the Buffalo BS-GS2016A version appeared for audio. My guess is this was the reason Melco did not expose the top 8 ports at all. I have not seen an 8-port Buffalo switch for audio... the Japanese audiophiles prefered the 16-port Buffalo with plastic caps covering the top 8 ports. 

The other thing Melco suggests is to use the first 4 ports on the Melco (the first 8 ports on the Buffalo) for your streamer and the second half of the ports for the rest of the network. They also configure the first half of the ports as 100Mbps, but that does not work well for me. The second half of the ports are 1Gbps, and they suggest those for the rest of your network. 

This particular Broadcom chip must be playing a big role of the sound signature of the Melco/Buffalo. Haven't seen a block diagram to understand the switch fabric architecture, but the isolation between some of the ports, might be playing a big role here. 

The Broadcom chip is the most expensive part in that switch. It's almost $80 on Mouser if you buy it in the hundreds / thousands, which makes me think it is at least half of the cost of the entire switch. It does not make sense that Buffalo would be using the same 16G chip for their 8 port switch and sell it for half the price, or nearly the cost of the 16G chip itself. That's not how these companies make their profit. We are not talking about audiophile switches here. Buffalo makes small business switches in large quantities at consumer prices, not overbuilt/overpriced switches for audiophiles. 

Peter - remove the heatsink of the switch, clean up the thermal paste and check the Broadcom chip part number. Send it to me, and I will confirm if it is the same. It would be nice if it is, but I highly doubt that. 

Yes, I will do it, no problem. I am curious too. The price of 2008 is not far away from 2016. It might be a different chip by Broadcom, it might be the same, it might be a better one in terms of sound quality, nobody knows unless he compares heads up. Like in the case of Realtek network adapter, which is an absolute crap in terms of drivers but it outperforms all Intels I have tried so far. You never know in audio 🙂

3 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I bought some spare Buffalo switches while they were still in stock, and I think I can try 6 switches in parallel. Not practical and need a bunch of cables, but I will give it a go just for the sake of it. The problem is they need at least 3 week to break-in properly as they sound pretty bad the first couple of weeks. 

The 16-port model is out of stock and probably will never be in stock again, as most likely the company plans to release another model. Who knows?

Hi again. 

What I would like to state with my writing regarding copper vs silver is far away from trying to persuade somebody to follow my path. This is the reason I tried to make it as clear as I can. Follow your ears, follow your instict but try to be open and thoughtful, nothing else. 

Regarding copper & silver, I am not referring to third party products. I am referring to designing and manufacturing the cables from scratch in specialized laboratory, with specialized equipment under very strict and controlled conditions. The cables were not extruded but casted continuously through custom designed carbon nozzles with temp gradient of around 1 deg C above and below solidification temperature. The average crystal length was around 400 meters in both cases. No dielectrics, no insulation. Bare conductors. This was the last judgement of copper vs silver. The theoretical results came in line with findings through listening tests. 

This is my final statement here regarding copper vs silver. I have no intention to dig deeper, just to pass on my own findings to you. We live in a free world where everybody is free to do whatever he wants! 

Regarding the dc-dc converters, I am unable to read the part numbers as it is impossible to read the letters. A friend has an iPhone with pro lenses, I will call him tomorrow for further assistance with pictures. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

So that is a Monolithic Power Systems MPQ8632 synchronous buck converter. That series uses the same 3x4mm QFN package for all models from 4A to 12A. Based on the value of the inductor next to it, that one is either the 4A or 6A version.  

Don't worry about it Peter, at least one of them has been read above.

BTW, seems your web site (exoticaudiodesign.com) is down. I hope China is not blocking access to Hong Kong sites now. O.o

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Hello Alex. 

The website is not down due to China's control in HK. It is going to be completely redesigned with all models and series. 

On 6/16/2020 at 10:03 AM, RickyV said:

OMG @Peter Avgeris this must be in the guinness book of records for the biggest phono stage ever. And the first picture is the preamp?? Or is it all phono amp? 

Hello from Athens.

The first pic is the Exotic 3-chassis MM Phono Preamplifier. You are correct.

I have already designed the next level of MC Step Up Transformer. It is one chassis with 4 pairs of SUTs, it is plugged on AC mains and is made out of 24 iron pieces for the stereo set.