IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 4 weeks later...

@ausstinpop

What does mean bridging a server and how To achieve this?

On 5/9/2017 at 7:23 AM, austinpop said:

Yes, it is direct - in the sense that the music server is bridged, and the direct connection from the bridge is going into the Zyxel (modded) switch, along with the sMS-200 "ultra."

In my simplistic way of thinking, this "ultra" switch's role is nothing but an Ethernet "regen" with the ultra clock.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, amir57bs said:

Usb cable in my idea is very very important .

overally if you like emotional sound (true tone plus good micro dynamic) i think combination of gordon rankin codes plus purist cable is very good.

i do not like ultra smooth and clean sound of many systems , i prefer emotional sound .

i think ethernet renderer may give you ultra clean ultra smooth ultra low noise sound but i prefer intimate sound of pcie usb card with AS gordon rankin codes.

the best way to get emotional sound is to keep the way minimal.

adding reclockers or ethernet devices like microrendu add complexity of streaming data transfer and it will degrade intimacy of sound.

What rare "AS Gordon Rankin codes"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, lmitche said:

Gee, I just connected a straight SATA connector at 12 volts from the Hdplex lt3045 output to the Startech card. This uses Gotham cable from end to end. This card is connected to a 3.0 USB Realtek NIC and Startech 3.5 inch drive enclosure.

Happily I can report a very nice bump up in SQ, especially high end extension and clarity. While tempting, I don't think I will be doing any more radical surgery. I may order a 15 volt to 12 volt 2 amp lt3045 chain as a second regulator.

Thank you Rick!

Can you please provide links To these 2 startech items and to the realtek NIC  ?

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure, why not. B|  USB ‘A’ side cutout of ISO REGEN end panel is centered in both axis.

Just use a T8 size Torx driver bit.

@Superdad Just dreaming of a USPCB with audiophile quality USB connectors... with no nickel plating...

Berrylium copper with palladium plating ?

Just ask Oyaide!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 12:35 AM, austinpop said:

Netgear GS105 with a JSGT-shunted LPS for general hygiene. Based on John Swenson's studies, the Netgear is one of the switches whose port magnetics effectively isolate upstream noise, in conjunction with a ground-shunted LPS.

Any recommendation for a good quality router (can be commercial) havinglike the netgear switch gs105 high quality ethernet ports?

On 6/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, afrancois said:

I'm having very good results with my new network topology. I'm now convinced that the electrical quality of the network that enters the server is also (very) important. Before the latest change, the NAS and AL Server were connected to the main switch.

The NAS and AL Server are electrically isolated from the AQVox. This was already the case in the past, the difference however is that the AL Server is no longer electrically connected to the rest of my network.

All switches, modem, NAS and AL Server have their separate LPS., as do the AQVox and sMS-200 Ultra.

I had bought an Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 10XP for other purposes, but I tried it in my setup and I was really surprised by the impact on the audio quality.

My Ubiquiti wireless AP's are all connected to the main switch!

I'm very curious if things will still even get better when I replace the AQVox with an EtherREGEN, it is already very very good.

1648297463_NetworkTopology2.png.eddb25f67ebfb8941968b69aa18685c3.png

Have you created vlans? Where (on which switch) and for which equipments?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 12:13 AM, Superdad said:

Well per @lmitche‘s urging I recently bought that exact model of Cisco Catalyst switch.  It is a heck of a piece—with way more in it than a $20 Netgear—not surprising since its original list price was probably $600+. ( @JohnSwenson thinks one of the big chips in it may be one  that he worked on at LSI/Avago—I need to send him close up photos to be sure.)

I’ve been running microRendu > ISO REGEN > modified SU-1 > Holo Spring L3 (the first 3 each with their own LPS-1.2) fed from a 25-foot BlueJeans/ Belden CAT6a—direct from my 4GHz iMac, no swtich, bridging trick.

So I put the Cisco on the floor under the audio rack, plugged the long Ethernet cable into port 1 and a 2-foot BJC CAT6 into port 8 to feed the microRendu.  Did not expect much since when I did this with a Netgear FS105 it was a wash or maybe worse than without.  

But whoa!  This was immediately better! More lively and musically engaging. Very nice.

The LiteOn SMPS in this switch is 12V/0.6A (if I recall correctly; 12V for sure, and while the supply might be 1A, Larry told me draw is 0.6A), so I could easily run it from another LPS-1.2.  But I’m busy, and since we are working on our own from-the-ground-up highly isolated/specially clocked switch (see EtherREGEN), I don’t know that I’ll bother at this point.

This certainly does bode very well for our own unit.  While I’ve be confident that EtherREGEN will technically perform as planned (certainly better than the modified switches being sold), I was not sure how much sonic impact it would have for the average user.  But what I heard with this Cisco switch was not subtle, and it beat the direct connection from the computer!  

Color me excited...B|

—Alex C.

@SuperdadWhat is the rationale for chosing port 1 for the incoming data flow (for example from a router) and port 8 for the outgoing data flow to streamer if any or does the choice of ports indifferent?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of praise has been given to lush usb cable by eminent members of this forum.

I wonder if any experience has yet been gathered on ethernet and I2S versions of it:

https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/ethist-2-ethernet-cable

https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable

Looks exciting for extra tweaking hdmi i2s with ground box like entreq

19 hours ago, Nenon said:

I am also planning to compare two AMD-based motherboards - an Asus gaming motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix X470-I) with a AsROCK server motherboard (X470D4U) with ECC RAM. Keep you posted on that as well.

Hi Vassil

Looks very interesting! to compare the 2 prevailing schools of thought: go for gaming board (VRMs etc...) OR go for professional server (Xeon or AMD, single or double; ECC RAMs...).

Are they price wise comparable?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry a bit off topic but I need help...  

the Supermicro  X10SBA motherboard has been quite popular on this forum some time ago. It is limited to 2x4Gb for RAM.

I plan a double PC configuration with this MB for the player part but for use in a server I think a MB accepting 16Gb RAM would be preferable for DSD files. 

Any suggestion for a supermicro miniATX MB accepting 2x8Gb of RAM? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, Nenon said:

That's part of the challenge. There is no good quality power supply on the market that I know of that can adequately power up this beast. There is no passive cooling chassis that is compatible with the FCLGA3647 socket, and you have two of them. There is no passive cooling chassis where this motherboard would fit in without drilling. It is very difficult to find good quality industrial RDIMM RAM, so that's a custom order. I am doing custom CPU heatsinks and custom cooling pipes, custom LPS, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. 

I have trouble finding industrial RAM

I could buy from SOS electronic at a good price 2 pcs of 4GB RAM Apacer industrial DDR3 SODIMM 1,35V (75.B93E2.G040B) for the server part of my double PC. But impossible to find 2 pcs of équivalent 2Gb RAM (75.A83E2.G030B) for the player part. No stock seems available anywhere which looks strange to me unless it is discontinued parts but they were marketed since 2017 only!

Is there any alternative?

9 hours ago, mourip said:

I was able to find Apacer memory on eBay that worked for one of my endpoints and also my music server, both of which use the same system board. These were pulls but have run perfectly for months and were MUCH cheaper than any of the sources for new stock.

Thanks MOURIP which référence did you look for? Is it industrial ones?