IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Those are some nice value LPSes!

But torriods and poor diode bridge. Even better,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-100VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-Ouptut-9v-12v-19v-24v-R1716/141770497380?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My one has copper foil over r-type. Used same but little less VA for Mini power for over year. But no LPS-1.2 to compare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lmitche said:

using two cables instead of one, such as we have seen done by Cornan. With four conductors in a cable this was a straight forward use of the GAC 4.

What is wiring of 8 conductors?

My thinking is important to impedance lowering that full circuit (V+, V-) in (each) star-quad cable.

11 hours ago, lmitche said:

analog interconnects from Omega Mikro which are very thin copper ribbons covered with transparent film as insulation. The construction is fragile, and would not survive insertion into a tinned copper sleeve.

High probability insertion destructive, but should easy survive following leader line through sleeve. Tie wire or string leader behind connectors. Thread through sleeve. Pull through & remove leader, done :)

Recently watch electric company pull 13.2KV conductors through temporary sheaves from 3 color coded poly leader ropes up on tall poles. Later manually hooked over to new polymer insulators before energized.

45 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

"it is important to note that it is always essential that a Faraday shield be grounded. A floating or open-circuit shield almost invariably increases capacitively coupled noise."

But JSSS & JSSS-360 shielded cables not grounded (by design). Any theories why they so effective?

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

I think both floating and signal grounded can be effective if you read John's words.

Sorry, think distinction is distraction  :(

Grounding can bring noise & drain it. Bigger antenna for noise? Drain impedance?

Floating shield smaller antenna(s). Maybe sink RF in capacitance between shield layers?

Only questioning thoughts, but audio system RFI mechanisms not addressed with who said what, when.

23 minutes ago, Superdad said:

However, as I posted about 18 months ago, Oyaide did change to a new, smaller style that I find near-impossible to use for wire of any decent gauge.

23 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Belden 9418 shielded star-quad wire we use for the cables we supply with the JS-2 is 4 conductors of #18. Pairing #18 equals about a #15--plus the shield tied at one end.  Now you understand why the new ones are impossible for us.  It is tight enough with larger original ones!

Got Oyaide right angle connector from Ghent special order. Looks like new version straight one with shorter sleeve & tab. Used with same Belden quad cable, was tight but possible (but not production). Forgot some heat shrink in too hurried assembly & even with custom tape pieces, tightened sleeve caused intermittent short (nice current limiting in LT304xs :) ). Now fixed and sound good.

157188916_BeldonSQOyaideRA.thumb.JPG.6590c428f14af92bdf2efcdebf1d6837.JPG

Extra JSSS wire made sleeve assembly difficult but still possible. JSSS-360 have to wait, enough DIY for while.

8 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

on behalf of those of us intrigued by the JSSG 360 but daunted at the prospect of tackling it, kudos on being one of the first cable manufacturers to offer it ready made! 

Yes, Phasure is cool with subject, but Ghent Audio is really first with commercial JSSS-360 product, appearing just days (week?) after emerging from these pages!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, afrancois said:

All I can say is that my system never sounded like it does now. Extreme shielding does payoff.

Happy to know your results with 'Extreme' shielding. Theory is attractive, but needed experimental results :)

I know of mu-metal for long time, but not interested because of problem with losing effectiveness due to even little bending of metal, and high cost too.

How do you see issue of bending degradation?

How much cost to you per cable (averaged with overhead)?

Pleased for your SQ level, also jealous 9_9

41 minutes ago, afrancois said:

A sheet of mu-metal 15 cm x 100 cm costs 105 euro. Cost is acceptable for what you get. I guess the price per 50 cm is about 40 euro,  ISO tape and heat-sink tube included

How many shielded cables per 15/cm x 50, you estimate?

What is "ISO tape?"

45 minutes ago, afrancois said:

I lose nothing (I think) while bending because I'm using more windings. More overlap as you will.

So spiral winding, about how many turns? (not sure what is what in pictures)

48 minutes ago, afrancois said:

My cables also have JSSG360 before applying the mu-metal.

Ha! Multi-stages of shielding, like multi-stages of DC regulation, for extreme results  ¬¬

Also suggest polystyrene tubing instead of PVC. Available in small sizes for cables, plus thinner wall, maybe better fits. Capacitance performance better, but is that right for this application?  Time to test  :)

40 minutes ago, afrancois said:

hope some other CA members will try to experiment with this. I feel it really helped.

Now interested in trying this, but must wait for some DIY time & extra $$. maybe after leaves raked up -_-

Thx! for sharing work & answers to many questions.

Last question :) 

How you cutoff 8mm strips from mu-metal sheets?

4 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Once again Roy also talked about why double regulated is better than single regulated counterpart here

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=361&tab=comments#comment-860642

On August 10, 2018 at 3:01 AM, romaz said:

Regarding power supplies for this NUC board, yes, it scales extremely well to power supplies and better than my DFI board.  This board can accept 12-19V.  During my testing with my SR7s, 19V sounds a little better than 12V but DR (double regulated) 12V sounds considerably better than 19V.  The ideal SR7 for this board would likely be a DR 19V which I do not have.

My DIY experience with multi-stage regulation very positive for SQ. May do more in future (got low hanging fruit).

But confused about 12-19V range from @romaz quote. I unaware of (non-ps) circuitry consuming 19V, thought input V all down converted to 12v, 5v, 3.3v, 1.?v or similar. Clarification of what-is-what in load through the 12->19V range, maybe helpful to understand why "19V sounds a little better". Maybe point way to dropping inconvenient high voltage requirement? 

45 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Roy should have explained something about current draw and voltage back in March 2017

Yes, Thx!  Was nice balancing of I vs E over Noise, but theory not implementation. 1st question remains, but now details of regulation/conversion stages interesting.

Reading @romazmulti-subject reply post saw most answers consist of balancing of factors. I recognize mind of engineer- to know & balance many factors to achieve multiple goals. Also sometimes hear from other posters, but this one clear & comforting (so needed here & now :( )

On September 27, 2018 at 4:50 PM, lmitche said:

Adding the 3 amp Mpaudio lt3045 regulator after the 13.5 volt AMB Sigma 11 results in the worse sound of the three options.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Thanks and yes I have removed the kemet caps on the output side of my ldovr lt3045 cards. I still like them on the input side.

?? Not talking about ldover modules, but MPAudio. What will SQ change without output caps on you 3 amp Mpaudio lt3045 regulator?