IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:13 AM, kennyb123 said:

I just set it there to take the photo so Rajiv would have an idea of the fit.  

As far as a thermal pads - I wondered the same thing with respect to using these sinks.  

On 8/17/2017 at 7:58 AM, rickca said:

Is the heat sink just sitting on top of the LPS-1?  Wouldn't it be a lot more effective with some kind of thermal pad?

No thermal pad needed. A thermal pad is usually needed to fill in gaps or to help balance an otherwise uneven heatsink to achieve flush contact with a component (usually a cpu/gpu chip). Thus does not apply to the LPS-1 scenario. In fact, I'd wager adding a thermal pad would decrease the effectiveness of the heatsink since the thermal pad adds yet another layer of insulation and is less conductive than the aluminium heatsink itself.

@unbalanced output  Again, I mentioned thermal pads are useful if a heatsink does not sit perfectly flush w a component as you've also reiterated in your post. I do not think the LPS-1's scenario requires such extreme measures. Thermal paste is not applicable in this scenario as well so point moot. Why not include liquid metal while we're at it?

Thermal pad efficiency increases as temperature rises, yes, but the best commercial pads only have thermal ratings up to 17w/mK (the 17s gets brittle and dry after a while). In contrast, aluminum has a rating of 250w/mK. There is no contest. Anyway, I do not wish to harp on this any further as this is an audio forum and not a overclocker's sanctuary. 

@unbalanced output  Point taken. Let's call it a difference of opinions. The important thing is that Austin got his fix :)

@George Hincapie  Not sure why you quoted me? That's what I've been saying all along about pads, you're preaching to the choir. Also, you misunderstand me - my final comment was meant to discourage derailing this thread as the matter was already resolved and not as you indicated to spurn knowledge from other 'disciplines'.