IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

AustinPop - I'm late to the game here, but thanks for the sharing ur knowledge base and creating the summary/index back in January. Based on what uv said about upstream power supplies, I'm thinking that is an area of opportunity (among others) for me. Being of sound ears, and little mind, I was quickly confused about identifying the model and power needed. What is the best Paul Hynes "model" to power a Netgear Nighthawk router. It requires a maximum of 34 watts. Do models like the S3, 5 or 7 come with socket plugcord AND a connecting cord with appropriate male jack for the router?  Is a separate regulator of some kind needed?

Ok, guys. As a newbie, I could use a little coaching. I'm waiting for my ISO Regen to arrive and will have to make the same tuff decisions about where things go in the chain. I don't know what 'tX' or 'sMS' or some of the other short-hand abbreviations are so can't figure out how to apply to my system. 

So pls tell me what to change in my system below to get to your "agreed" and ""preferred" SQ sequence:

-Ethernet>ultraRendu (powered by LSP-1)>

-USPC USB A>B adapter (comes with ISO Regen) >

- ISO REGEN (powered by LSP-1) >

- Lush USB cable >

- DAC (Simaudio Moon 280D)

Thanks for your help!

Re: sms-200 ultra 

My questions below will quickly reveal  my newbie status:

- if I purchase this, am I correct that most believe it should be used with the master clock option? 

- I know clocks have been discussed in depth. What are 1-2 master clocks I should consider? I see that the clock will dictate whether I order a 50 or 75 ohm inter-connect. 

- Seems there is no option to buy without power supply. Does clock drive what power is needed? The LPS-1 wouldn’t work? Maybe on the clock if not the ultra?

- Lastly, I use a Mac for music server and ethernet to an uR/IR with a Lush USB handling the last link to the DAC. Any issue with Linux/Mac compatibility? Would it make sense to try the IR with the 200 ultra?  

Thanks in advance for all your counsel!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes, you can use one gnd plug to ground several SMPS, as long as they are all plugged into the same strip as the ground plug.

John S.

I created 2 of John’s leakage ‘firewalls’ today. You’re right the space to insert both the solid 14 gauge and ground wires is tight. You can simply trim the ground wire strand by half or 3/4 and insert what’s left. That was the hardest part!  It was easy with John’s “how to” instructions and photos! 

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I shared that concern and decided to make a slightly different version of this without any actual adaptors, even though my Meanwell is not right before a rendu. So a little more like the Groundhog approach.

My parts arrived today:

PA271066.thumb.jpg.becb9b34b8421cead684c0e0fe2a2e3e.jpg

I used a high pressure crimp on a ring terminal with 14 gauge stranded wire. The ring terminal had to be slightly modified using a Dremel tool as the inner diameter of the ring was a bit too tight to fit around the Meanwell's DC plug. 

PA271062.thumb.jpg.d31e9afb38df85e2dda9179597418aa5.jpg

This tweak has a positive effect on my system, very similar to as described above by @austinpop in phase 1 of his experiment, primarily I noted improvement in dynamic contrast and low-level detail, and a noticeably larger airier stereo image when grounding the Meanwell this way.

Big thanks to @JohnSwenson!

Your solution appears a lot “tighter” and fewer parts. I like it. I’ll try it on my next one. On the ring terminal needing being too small a diameter.... would it make any difference if I just clipped the ring at 12 o’clock so it could be spread wider?

• 1 month later...

Guys, I can confirm that May/SoTM did indeed modify a Netgear GS-108 for me. I received the modified switch over Xmas.  It was modified three ways:

- bypass its internal clock and create a new in-port to accept an available sCLK tap from the tx-USBultra. The ultra was modified by creating an sCLK out-port. A skinny little interconnect cable was provided to couple the two. 

- I also asked SoTM to modify any capacitors, etc. they deemed would be an upgrade

- it was also modified to enable it to be powered by a 7V source. 

I have no idea whether they have changed their service platform, but it would surprise me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had no problems using my LPS-1.2 to power the tx-USBultra. Check to make sure the 1.2 settings align with whatever your ultra’s power need is. They come in 3 different power configurations. Mine, for example is 6 1/2- 8 1/2 or something very close to that so my LSP is set at 7. 

It will identify the power needed on the SoTM box it was packaged in. 

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

PSU Roundup: comparing the new LPS-1.2 with the LPS-1 and SR-4

I received my pair of new LPS-1.2s late last week, and have been burning them in ever since. They're now at about 100 hours, so I felt an initial review was in order, especially as I will be traveling for the next week or so. I'm going to revisit this again at about 200 hours, by when I hope to receive the loaner silver cable that @mozes is so graciously sending me.

My current chain with PSUs is:

• sCLK-EX modded switch (LPS-1) > Zenith SE > tX-USBultra (SR-4) > Codex DAC
  • Energizing SMPSes are ground shunted
  • Pangea AC-14SE MkII power cables to energizing supply and SR-4
  • DC cables: Ghent DC01, homebrew Furutech FA 220 AWG14 with Oyaide 2.5mm plugs, Paul Hynes silver DC3FSXLR with Switchcraft 2. 1mm plug

Round 1: After 25 hours of LPS-1.2 burn-in

First the easy part. I swapped the LPS-1 powering the switch with the LPS-1.2, both with the Ghent cable, and it was no contest. The LPS-1.2 was better on every score. Bigger image, airier, deeper bass, and more dynamic. If you own and like the LPS-1, sell it immediately and buy an LPS-1.2. :D It's a no-brainer.

Over on the tX-USBultra, I compared the LPS-1.2 (with the Furutech cable) with the SR-4 (with silver DC3FSXLR cable). This was a tougher challenge, and the LPS-1.2, while sounding excellent, seemed to have a slight tizziness and glare compared to the SR-4. I decided to let burn-in continue.

Round 2: After 100 hours of LPS-1.2 burn-in

For this round, the switch PSU was fixed at LPS-1.2 with Ghent cable, and I focused on the tX-USBultra PSU. Wow - that extra burn-in really helped! At this point, I would say the LPS-1.2 had pulled very close to the SR-4. If the SR-4 is a 100, the LPS-1.2 is a 95, with the LPS-1 being an 80. Let's break down this comparison in terms of the following attributes:

• Image size and air: essentially a wash. Both were equally good
  • Dynamism: The SR-4 was just a smidge more dynamic
  • Tonality: the SR-4 has slightly deeper bass, and the LPS-1.2, while by no means harsh, has a slightly brighter tonal signature. This may even be an advantage depending on the baseline tonal balance of the system. My own system benefits from the slightly darker, blacker, tone of the SR-4
  • Noise: The SR-4 still has a slightly calmer and more relaxed presentation.

To put this in perspective, the SR-4 with the silver cable set me back close to ~$675, compared to the ~$500 for the LPS-1.2 plus Furutech cable.

Summary

In summary, the LPS-1.2 handily outperforms its predecessor, the LPS-1, and comes very, very close to the SQ of the much more expensive Paul Hynes SR-4. Highly recommended!

On 10/16/2017 at 4:02 PM, tapatrick said:

See here from the Grounding SMPS thread John mentioned with photos. I tried it on the input to my Aqvox switch and helped noticeably. Thanks once again John for another  simple and effective adjustment!

See here from the Grounding SMPS thread John mentioned with photos. I tried it on the input to my Aqvox switch and helped noticeably. Thanks once again John for another  simple and effective adjustment!

Thanks Rajiv -- I am not quite up to 100 hours yet but have already experienced same directional improvements in SQ with my two LSP-1.2s. Like you, one is driving a modded switch, and the other the tx-USBultra > Zeniith SE.  I replaced an sps-500 and LSP-1.  Great new product from Alex and the team at UpTone!  Moved the sps-500 to power my router

To be honest, I did not do separate A/B tests with each of the new 1.2s.  I am generally less a scientist that most on this thread. I changed out both and started listening. Generally, I was working on a general perception (unproven by me) thinking that the sps was better suited for driving the router, than the switch which was closer to the Zen/DAC.

Beautiful Music, 

No, Rajiv’s topology shows he is using a power energizer of some type with his LSP-1.2. I don’t know exactly what that is.  

I also was confirming what I remember him saying earlier-that he was now using his Pangea AC 14 Mk LLC power cord with his new LSPs. That plugs into the ‘power energizer’?

13 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

The "energizer" for both LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 should look somewhat similar

https://www.meanwelldirect.co.uk/product/22W-7-5V-2-93A-Energy-Saving-Desktop-Power-Supply/GS25A07-P1J/default.htm

OFcWHT6.jpg GS18-25A.jpg

We could swap the power cable of that "energizer" as shown in the pictures below

uptone-lps1-1.jpg vWi58a2.jpg

First, I’m under the impression the power supply for the LPS-1.2 is new, improved vs. what came with the LPS-1. Is that right?

If Rajiv’s topology is simply saying he is using the Meanwell power energizer that came with the LPS1.2, I understand. It’s not anything special or different from what came with it. 

I also underdtood from Alex that the JS shunt was no longer needed with the new, improved LSP1.2 and the power ‘energizer’ that comes with it. (Yet Rajiv seems to be using one!)