IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Does this mean your powering the SlimRun from the USB port, and not externally @sbenyo?  Thanks to the SlimRun USB, I've got a JCAT XE USB on the way. 

On a side note to my surprise the MPAudio LSIB improves on the Farad Super3 when powering the oR.  Clearer transients across the board, which results in better reproduction across the spectrum, especially the bass response!  Currently have some dueland 16GA as a very short DC run (15cm), but will try Mundorf Silver/Gold due course.   Will be using the MPAudio with the JCAT XE.

Yes. I am powering it just from usb port. Nothing else between PC and DAC. Only SlimRun and Sablon.

I do have a PPA v2 USB card in my PC as well. It has light effect on the highs but it also sounds great without it.

I do feel it cleared the sound a bit more and made the stage a bit wider. It seems like subtle changes but I think it's significant. I will give it more listening time before I conclude.

Nice! It's becoming harder to significantly affect the sound when it's already great.

I upgraded the power, power cables, speaker cables, RCAs, USB and now the SlimRun. Changes have less and less effect but I still like to try, especially when it's a simple upgrade like this. Even if I just think it sounds better, that does the work for me. 😀

I wonder if there is any new trick I can still try that can significantly improve what I already think is a great sound. I know I should replace the IEC inlet of the DAC but with all power changes I am not sure if this will do any significant change.

One thing I know for sure, using good power is crucial for sound. This is also true for DC. I used the UltraCaps LPS-1 once and it made a significant improvement. I think that no power is probably the best if we can avoid it.

24 minutes ago, lmitche said:

You owe it to yourself to try powering the dac end of the cable with an uptone lps1.2. It would be surprising if this didn't lead to a significant increase in sq.

Unfortunately the MP SlimRun just stopped working. It worked well first time I tried it. I did not touch it and it just stopped after first few hours.

Now it does not recognize anything I attach to it. Very frustrating... I hope it's not completely broken.

6 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Try to power off and on your DAC to reset your USB interface on the DAC (assuming it does not get powered up from the USB cable). That happened to me once. But also my cable is defective and I am waiting for replacement. 

I tried to power off the DAC. Also completely removed the power and usb and rebooted the PC. Nothing helps.

The cable does not work with anything else as well. I hope the cable is not defective. Worked well for a couple of hours and then just stopped. ☹️

• 3 months later...

I also run monoprice slimrun usb connected to sablon usb 2020. The sablon by itself is wonderful. Best I heard.

With monoprice it's even gets a clearer and a tiny bit better. It's a must to run slimrun with good power otherwise highs are not clean. 

My only problem is that the female side of the slimrun gets extremely hot. Is it how it should be? I ordered heat sinks but I am not sure it supposed to be like this. SQ is not affected but I am still concerned with it.