IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:14 AM, Superdad said:

The technique is hiding in plain site in the data sheet.  9_9 John has wired LT3045s both ways and measured about half the output impedance when it is done right.  For some reason Alexy at ldovr does not believe it. Oh well...

possible reasons

it is almost useless
it is harmful

i belive that you can get lower impedance with ILIM circuit, but i prefer have lower noise 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 7:12 AM, sandyk said:

At those kinds of already very low noise levels , a LOW and FLAT Output Impedance over a very wide bandwidth is more desirable with PC Audio than the ultimate in noise level. This applies just as much to Digital areas as it does to Analogue Audio areas.

( My apologies for the Off Topic response.)

Alex

Again, In my humble opinion, ILIM drop compensation is USELESS... I have only following statements from @Superdad
1. Output impedance for LPS 1.2 is a "FEW" mOhms
2. ILIM Circuit is a “easy way to cut the output impedance nearly in half”

So – what is the “few mOhms” in figures??? Should I consider it as 10mOhm with ILIM? And <20mOhm without ILIM? You need to add also 2 connectors and feeder cable resistance and easily can have additional 50-100mOhms impedance at the point of load - difference will be 50 vs 60mOhms or even 100 vs 110mOhms between ILIM/No ILIM options.  

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

It’s coming up on three weeks since I placed my order for a pair of those boxes and yet my order status is still processing.  Website indicates a 1-2 week lead time so holiday travels would certainly explain the delay.  Sure would be nice to get a status update from @[email protected].  

i am apologies for the delays, but i can start shipments by the last week of January only , i can not get enclosures faster, Chrismass and New Year holidays affecting deliveries

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

"Purely marketing" ?!  Are you accusing us of lying?  Would you like me to post photos of an UltraCap supply happily cranking out 1.15A for hours on end?

Alex, as per LT3045 specs it is 1A MAX, probably you can send an email to Analog devices and ask to revise the specs as per your measurements

image.png.2d018bb20365f7163fe99012ef7bc6f8.png

image.thumb.png.a68fde027f255a6d3e2add28b8733360.png

and about the current limit, can you confirm how many ampers can be provided with 215Ohm ILIM resistor (and it is not 0.55A per IC)

image.thumb.png.74de58c1c4baceb3863af8678cee0b16.png

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Really Alexey? :S

Yes

I am able to get 0.7A from a single LT3045 (internal current limiter configured for 695mA) but is it the right way to use it? My 5seater car can easily carry 7PAX, but i dont think that i can sell it as a 7seater van.

Even your beautiful  LPS-1 (Supercap followed by single TPS7A4700) rated for 1A only, but LPS1.2 (supercap followed by the same TPS7A4700 and dual LT3045) rated for 1.1A. I can not find any logical explanation why the old LPS-1 is rated for 1A only...

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Superdad said:

I was not kidding when I said you could easily need several a 5~7 amp supplies. I'd be kidding if I suggested you attempt it. :o

5-7A!!!  Are you serios?? 

i think problem not with the current limit but with the way of external regulator connection, if onbord regulators not disconnected from the load (reverse current protection can cause the problem). 

@RickyV How did you connect Lt3045 regulators to the BS??

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well the near 20-year old 16-port with integrated Gigabit copper PHYs Broadcom BCM53343 is not a low-power design. It needs multiple supply rails: 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.8V, and if a lot of its ports are used it will add up a LOT of current. We see switches with 5-10 amp DC-DC buck regulators (fronting several sub-regulators all the time.

For the Melco switch, they blocked off (turned off) 8 of the 16 ports, and it is near certain that part of the reason they set the registers for 4 of the 8 ports to be 100Mbps-only was to save power.

So even if I slightly exaggerated, there is slim chance that a single LT3045--or even a paralleled pair--is going to be enough for some of the rails of that switch. 9_9

Yes

as per switch specs max power consumption about 11W for all rails

And probably 2A is not enought for 1V rail but it is impossible to have 5+A @3.3V

image.thumb.png.f0a93d6e5b610998482fd1436f18835d.png

• 1 month later...