IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I agree that a Mac Mini is nice setup for a music server. It's housed in an attractive and fairly resonant-free aluminum chassis. Although Apple had different intentions for doing it, in shielding their RAM and CPU in a stainless steel cage, they also effectively provided a nice RF shield against 2 components that generate quite a bit of it. It also has very short signal paths and putting the SD card reader on a PCIE bus and allowing the OS to boot from it was a genius move. Despite its CPU fan, this thing generates only 11dB of noise and is essentially silent. Obviously, it lends itself to being powered by a 12V source and your MMK is the best way I know to do it. On top of that, their hardware just works which is the benefit of their closed system -- all their components have been vetted for compatibility and reliability. Compared against a NUC, I find it to be a better starting platform and many used Mac Minis can be found cheaply on

Hi Romaz,

Do you think the soon to be released SoTM sps-500 could power an MMK Macmini?

It's rated at 12V/5amps.

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

What is the SoTM sps-500? What function does it perform?

It's the new battery power supply from SoTM that may be more cost effective than a Uptone JS-2/Paul Hynes SR-7 LPS.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2017 at 1:04 PM, lmitche said:

Hi romaz,

Great to hear you were able to duplicate the SQ benefits gained from replacing an SSD with a hard drive. I am sure your SD card experiments will prove to be even better and I look forward to reading about your results.

Hi Larry,

I am re-reading this forum.

I am running Daphile and have it directly connected to sms200

I am using 

a Samsung USB SSD for music storage. 

Are you suggesting  a standard local storage 2.5" hdd in the Mac mini would be superior?

I'm not sure how I would power it with a LPS-1 though. 

Please advise

Geoff

On 27/03/2017 at 11:19 AM, romaz said:

I think the big X factor is the soon-to-be-released Iso Regen by Uptone.  I suspect this could be a better option than the Adnaco and should pair well with their LPS-1.

Is the upcoming tX-USBUltra from SOtM a similar product to the ISO Regen?

On 15/04/2017 at 11:28 PM, gadgetman said:

Since Daphile has a RAM play function, if you have enough memory that you can load entire album into the memory. I would suggest to stick with SSD. My take is that after loading the album onto RAM there's no SSD accessing activity. So the electrical noise can be kept to minimum.

The second reason I don't recommend a HDD for Daphile is that there's always vibration from the HDD even though you put entire album into RAM. And vibration can degrade the SQ.

Thanks for the advice gadgetman

G

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Hi @tapatrick

That is most interesting. What versions of Roon are you on? My setup has the following versions:

1. Roon Core: Build 223
  2. Roon app (iOS, W10, Mac): Build 223
  3. Roon Ready on sMS-200: 1.1.16
  4. sMS-200: v-0.3.7

Also, I found this on the SOtM site: https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/#toggle-id-6

Based on this, I upped the Buffer Duration and Resync Delay on the Roon Ready config to 0.1 and 0.5 respectively (the max values). I also added a Resync Delay of 2000ms in the device settings from the Roon Core side.

None of these helped.

What is even more peculiar is that whereas previously, my failure case was a momentary pause, from which I could resume by hitting Play again, today the sMS-200 disappears completely from the Roon GUI. I see the "select audio zone" button, and the only way to recover is to restart my Ultra stack.

Very peculiar.

I think it might be sMS-200: v-0.3.7. 

My system has been very stable running Daphile until I upgraded the firmware. 

Exactly the same issue with erratic pauses in play. Sometimes play would restart after a few seconds; sometimes I needed to reboot the sMS-200. 

It is not my network because I play files for a locally attached USB ssd and use a direct Ethernet connection from my Macmini to SMS-200. 

If you made a backup of the SD CARD in SMS-200 before the upgrade you could perhaps revert to v-0.3.6 and see if the problem resolves. 

On 15/02/2017 at 11:34 PM, gadgetman said:

In system setup menu tap the middle icon which looks like a pointer going from left to right then goes straight up.

If you plan to roll back to your current version you better make a backup copy before doing software upgrade. You can use Win32 Disk Imager to do the job. It's totally free.

59 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ahhh - very interesting!

Sadly I did not think to make a backup of 3.6. Actually, I think SOtM upgraded my unit to 3.7 while it was with them. For future reference - anybody have instructions on how to make a backup of the sMS-200 SD Card?

BTW - I would love for this to be a software issue. Those can be fixed without shipping my units back to Korea!

On 15/02/2017 at 11:34 PM, gadgetman said:

In system setup menu tap the middle icon which looks like a pointer going from left to right then goes straight up.

If you plan to roll back to your current version you better make a backup copy before doing software upgrade. You can use Win32 Disk Imager to do the job. It's totally free.

14 hours ago, guerph said:

Well...

I've decided to stick with my sMS-200 rather than upgrade to the sMS-200ultra. I have however ordered the tx-USBultra, which will slot in between the sMS-200 and by 2Qute. I'm skeptical of any sonic improvements, but that's what I said when I bought the sMS-200 and was blown away. I'm intrigued by the option of using one of the USB outputs on the tx-USBultra to feed my 2Qute (while using my main speaker setup) and the other to feed my Mojo (while using my headphone setup) without having to mess around with cabling. I am currently running the 2Qute and the sMS-200 on a two module PS-1 from Wyred 4 Sound. I will add a third module to power the tx-USBultra. The PS-1 allows me to power up to four devices, using the regular power modules, up to 1.2A each. Will report back with my findings.

Why not use the 3 redundant clocks included in the tX-USBultra and upgrade your sMS-200 to Ultra level. Sure it won't be as neat as the new unit but better than nothing and much cheaper. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, austinpop said:

BTW - and @Superdad will probably just shake his head at this :D - I couldn't resist picking up my 3rd LPS-1 when one popped up for sale here a few days ago.

So I am now running like this:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.aa5614275951df8b16d4aa902721dfb5.PNG

Any improvement over the shared Y cable setup between tX and switch?

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Review of the Innuos Zenith MkII SE

Here is my current chain:
  • sCLK-EX-modded switch (LPS-1) > sCLK-EX-modded sMS-200 (LPS-1) > ISO-Regen (LPS-1) > tX-USBultra (Hynes SR-4) > Codex
  • Cybershaft OP-14 10 MHz reference clock feeding the sCLK-EX board in the tX-USBultra
  • This clock topology essentially delivers OP-14 quality to my switch, sMS, and tX, and has really been the jewel in my

Summary

The Innuos Zenith MkII SE is a pretty remarkable piece of gear, and I recommend it heartily. Whether it's right for you depends on many things, but most importantly where you're coming from. If you're running your DAC direct from your stock MAC or PC, prepare to have your mind blown. As you go up the spectrum of existing system refinement, the SE's value proposition becomes more and more nuanced.

For my system, the SE does three things:
  1. It allows me to achieve a level of SQ beyond what I previously had
  2. It allows me to simplify my digital audio chain, although it does not completely eliminate the spaghetti
  3. It allows me to sell parts of my current chain to partially defray the cost. I will soon be putting my modded sMS-200, my ISO-Regen, and 2-3 LPS-1s up for sale

Hi Rajiv,

Thanks for a very comprehensive review.

A couple of questions.

1. How were you powering your W10 server?

2. Do you think there might be any advantage "bridging" the SE with the sMS-200?

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, jay said:

My current digital set-up is as follows, and I know it certainly has some limitations on what is possible:

• current Mac Mini (out of the box) with Roon server/NAS/usb-external drive for music > series of netgear switches/generic Cat 6 travelling the length of the house > UltraRendu (Sonore LPS) > Sublon USB > IsoRegen (LPS-1) > USPCB > Schiit Yggy

On order, but yet in, the system will become, with some of those limitations obviously still in place:

• current Mac Mini (out of the box) with Roon server/NAS/usb-external drive for music > series of netgear switches/generic Cat 6 Audioquest Cat7 dedicated 25' run (from another room)  > Sotm modded switch/clock (LPS 1.2) > Sotm dCBL-CAT7 > UltraRendu sMS-200ultra (external clock-capable) (Sonore LPS) > Sublon USB > IsoRegen (LPS-1) > USPCB > Schiit Yggy

I think you should not forget that improving the power supply of your Mac mini can have a huge impact on sound quality. The Uptone MMK kit with Paul Hynes SR4/Uptone JS-2 LPS /SOtM sPS-500 would be reasonably priced and good value for money. Running the OS off an SD card will also lower the noise floor. These simple changes to your existing equipment can be very satisfactory whilst we wait for the dedicated server technology to stabilise with improved clocking etc.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, paulhynes said:

I am currently finishing off orders 8 and 9 ready for shipment, Order 6 was delayed due to a specification error with one of the mains transformers. I have tried to contact you via e-mail, number 6, but my e-mail keeps being rejected by the mail system. Perhaps you have an alternative e-mail we can use. I am expecting a replacement mains transformer next week and will progress this as soon as the transformer arrives.

I will also be starting Limniscate’s order number 10 next week.

Regards to all,

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I am relieved to hear this as I saw #7 was delivered and I wondered where my #6 was!!

I"ll send you another email with an alternate address which might work better.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2018 at 3:57 AM, lmitche said:

Tinned copper sleeving is used for USB and networks cables. Gotham for DC cables. Yes Gotham sounds better then Canare.

Hi Larry,

When comparing Canare 4S6 and Gotham, did they both have the JSSG360?

It is just that the I believe the Canare 4S6 is a speaker cable with no shielding but is AWG20 as opposed to the Gotham which is natively shielded but AWG28.

I think bigger gauge should theoretically be better for lower DC resistance even if Canare uses an inferior copper conductor.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, lmitche said:

If this is a Gotham cable it will take 48 hours to burn in.

What seems to be the element that supposedly makes the Gotham cable superior in DC applications to say the Canare 4S6?

I don't think the conductor is anything special like OCC or Ag and it is quite a thin gauge which has been established to be unfavourable.

Both Canare and Gotham have the star quad construction.

If it it related to the shield then a Canare 4S6 with JSSG 360 should be at least as good if not better but that doesn't seem to be the case from some who have tested and posted.

Just curious.

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

I did one cable ve+, second ve- all four conductors on one or the other. You could be right about alternating them, I don't know.

This configuration would seem to cancel any benefit of the special noise cancelling properties of the Star Quad design. Any perceived benefit may be due to reduced impedance. If you want to reduce impedance properly with a star quad design, you may need to find a thicker gauge cable. I use Canare 4S8. 

58 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, you are right. The idea was to emulate what Cornan had done with JSSG 360 on two separate cables. Sq has taken a big jump and I am hearing details never heard before. The impact is stunning.

I may create a second cable with mixed polarity on each cable and compare the two. Right now, it ain’t broken so I’m going to leave things alone.

Throughout the system replacing Canare 4S8 with JSSG 360 treatment with the Gotham has increased SQ.

Well, my apologies. Seems that DC cable experimentation has advanced somewhat since StarQuad!?

I missed Cornan's post. Intriguing!

@JohnSwenson any thoughts on this?

10 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

While i still in the hunt for the Streamer which fits best with my system to put aside the 2012 macMini and can make a significant reduction in noise, i had the chance to purchase the last upgrade from Louis Motek´s LessLoss the Firewall 64X, i juts received mine two days ago with the suggestion of leaving it for at least several weeks before it can show its fully potential, oh man this little magic thing has put my system so far in another level of clarity, blackness dimension and easy to hear even my records that just could not hear them before, only 3 days and this thing is a HUGE improvement at least in my system which i consider is already a good one, i am going to ask another which i will use on the DAC, this one i put it in the MacMini and to be honest i never thought it could made a lot of difference in the Mac mini, really wow! very recommended!

I have to say that i have no agenda with Mr. Motek, only the fact that every time i have had something from him is a hit and i don't have a lot from him

I suggest this little piece of magic!!

image.thumb.png.4d54e134a30a8c57103eca42e497c189.png

Does this plug into the standard MacMini power inlet?

13 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

No i have a special adapter which Louis made for me 3 years ago, look:

In this case it has the first generation of firewall attached (don't get worry about that), important thing is to make the adaptor, then you can add the NEW firewall 64X (wood one) as you see in the picture...

IMG-1106.thumb.JPG.f639c71397b169d4df1513b25a8764a3.JPG

IMG-1105.thumb.JPG.1ed88c37d5acc760fd46b95ee8570fce.JPG

So you are still using the inbuilt SMPS in the Mac mini.

It would be fantastic value if it is as good a mod as the MMK kit from Uptone with a good quality LPS

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, str-1 said:

From Paul: 

Unfortunately DR rails require two regulator modules per rail so the SR5 chassis can only support 1 DR rail, the SR7MR2 chassis can only support one DR rail and the SR7MR4 chassis can only support two DR rails.”

3 DR rails will fit in a Streacom FC9.

Double Regulation (DR) improves "to a give supply line and rectification interference rejection exceeding 150 dB from DC to 100 KHz" compared to >80dB DC to 100KHz.

DR adds about £200-300 depending on specification.

13 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

My OCX10 has Evox capacitors and eABS-200 EMI absorber.   @limniscate has a REF10.  I don't know all of the components since we'll be using his system, which I have never seen or heard, but we will be using his SR7 to power the OCX10.  @austinpop has no skin in the game but is interested in hearing the comparison.

Very exciting.

I have the SOtM trifector with an SR7 and on the the brink of ordering a Mutec Ref-10 but wondered if the OXC10 might have better synergy.

A few questions if I may;

Were the OCX10 mods done by SOtM?

Who's stock OCX10 will you be using?

Is your tX-USBUltra 50 or 75ohm?

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

My understanding is that you need to have Daphile lms installed on the server side. 

Then on the lms screen ,once you have selected the songs you want to play there is a small icon on the bottom right side of the screen to load your playlist to ram. 

My my friend has 8gb and he can load full albums .

I will try to get screenshot from him. 

I am currently running Daphile so here's a screenshot.

The RAM feature button is at the bottom right of the screen 4th from right.

Daphile is certainly a big step up from Audirvana on MacOs.

I have a SOtM sMS200UltraNeo which I am not using at the moment because the music sounds more transparent without it.

I don't know how but ripped 44.1kHz files are sounding better than playing CD on my BLU2.

Could it be a latency thing?

I am receiving my NUC soon so it will be interesting to see if it's better than MacMini running Daphile.

Hopefully the experience with AL running best on a NUC will translate to Daphile as well.

Untitled.jpeg

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

When compared to the most recent version of VRDS-NEO or even the latest VRDS-ATLAS mechanism from Esoteric, Philips CD Pro 2 mechanism might be holding BLU2 back since the CD Pro Family should be a bit long in the tooth

http://www.esoteric.jp/technology/vrdsneo/indexe.html

https://www.encosystems.net/about/products-history/

In addition, it's hard to tell how much did RF noise degrade the performance of BLU2 without the help of ferrites on BNC cables. I guess it might be a good idea to sell BLU2 and then get Hugo M Scaler with a nice PSU.

Your point about the transport mechanism being inferior may well be valid but my server connects via USB to Blu2 and onto DAVE via BNC cables completely covered with the recommended clamp on ferrites so the RF issue should be common to both sources.

Audirvana runs on MacOs and even on "extreme mode" there are so many processes running in the background when you check with "Activity Monitor".

I know you can probably turn a lot of these off but I am not computer savvy enough to do it.

Daphile (and Audiolinux) I think run much leaner and that may account for the sound quality improvement I hear.

Much more transparent and full bodied.

The sound is simply more "juicy"!!

"The Great Gate at Kiev"; Pictures at the Exhibition Eiji Oue on Reference Recordings; the horn finale is simply stunning.

I ripped with dBpoweramp.