IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I have had similar experience. Tried the IR alone, with mR in front or with an amberR in front and prefer the IR alone. Have only one USPCB and found biggest improvement when used in front of the IR instead of after. I will try an additional USPCB to add after and see if it makes any improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give Hurka some props for his never ending efforts for great sound and sharing.  Been using an AGM battery (12V) regulated by Paul Hynes board (7V) to power my mRendu, IR and Micro iDSD black. My assumption was that powering the PH from a low impedance, high current, low noise battery had to be better than from rectified AC. Wrong! I replaced the battery with another PH regulator this one powered by rectified AC. So basically this is my version of a double regulated PH. The sound is better in every way. Even my wife provided an unsolicited comment on the improvement. Also wanted to add my amazement at the iFi Micro BL that continues to sound better each time I make an improvement in front of it---a bargain at $600. YMMV.

CJH

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Not sure why you want 2 RJ45 connections to your JCat. My thought was to use the optical connection from both Sonore optical modules and an optical connection from the etherRegen into the Mikro Tik CRS305 since it has four possible optical connections (no use for the RJ45 connection of the CRS305). Then use one RJ45 connection from the etherRegen to your JCat. Total optical isolation and great clocking going into the JCat.

CJH

• 2 months later...

Tried the Slimrun USB3 and am getting very good results vs. an uRendu powered by double regulated MPaudio. Only problem is when using HQPlayer it sounds great until I use my Chromebook (via wifi) to control HQP (2 different rooms). When the HQP control app is used the soundstage shortens and high frequencies are exagerated. Turn it off and the magic returns. The Slimrun has an option to be externally 5v powered so I will try this as a remedy--problem is power connection is via micro usb so I am waiting for appropriate cable connectors to arrive. Anyone have similar experience?

CJH

cat6man:

Using HQP desktop on an older I7 laptop with music on network nas, both connected to network switch along with router in storage room. Switch is powered with Hynes constant current regulator. In music room  I control using HQP control app from a small laptop. uRendu is used in HQP NAA mode.

Tried another experiment last night. Added a 2nd switch (powered via double regulated MPaudio) with fiber in-between to isolate the I7 from the nas and router--no improvement and actually it seemed worse. Like the addition made the sound fuzzier with slightly less distinction between instruments. Music is a piece with 3 cellos called Dialogue. 

Still waiting for power connectors for the Slimrun.

CJH

Following up on my previous post. I received mini USB adapter to power my MP SR with a double regulated MP Audio 5V supply. This completely solved my sonic problems running HQP Control from a second Laptop. Sound is now consistent with or without HQP Control. Experiencing improvements in bass control, depth and width of soundstage, spacing between instruments and tonality resulting in a more natural, less mechanical presentation. One surprise was how good upsampled PCM now sounds, though sampling to DSD 256 still edges it out. One of my favorite test tracks is Zigeunerweisen, from Uncommon Ritual--Edgar Meyer.

• 2 months later...