IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

8 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

If you buy a Farad3 for your NUC, I recommend getting the 19v version.

I've bought a Farad 12V for my NUC ( 7i5dkne). I run euphony From USB or AL in RAMroot with no disks attached. 

I've  chosen the 12V so I could be able to use it to power a CPU in a future build. I also think the 12V version is more widely used in switches and converters etc so it might be more future proof. Just my thinking. 

Can you tell me why you'd recommend the 19V instead of the 12V? Better dynamics maybe? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, auricgoldfinger said:

The dynamics are certainly better.  It's been awhile since I made the switch from 12v to 19v, but I also seem to recall the bass was more palpable and the image was more three dimensional.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:52 PM, Dutch said:

If both 12V and 19V PSU’s can deliver 3A, the 19V can also deliver more continuous power: P=V*I so 19*3=57W vs 12*3=36W.

After reexemaning my choice to go with a 12V Farad3 for my Nuc7i5dnke, I've contacted Mattijs and was able to exchange mine for a 19v unit. The 12v unit already impressed me, but the 19v does indeed give more dynamics, a better controlled bass and also a better sorted 3d image. This is of course in my system, but I do think the 19v generally is a better choice for a NUC. Either way, the Farad3 really is a tremendous upgrade.