IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

It seems a lot of people are getting confused by my posts on the subject of network leakage, I will try and state things in a more concrete manor.

This is relating to a switch which is what your network endpoint into your audio system is connected, this may be streamer (microRendu etc) a laptop or other computer Mac mini, PC etc). We shall call this the audio endpoint (AE)

Leakage current can get into the AE through the switch in two ways, from the power supply powering the switch, or from the cable connected to the rest of the network. The leakage coming from the network comes from the SMPS powering THOSE devices.

If the switch connected to the AE is powered by an SMPS, grounding the negative of output of the SMPS will shunt the leakage from that supply, but the leakage from the NETWORK will still go through. There is one exception, see the next section.

IF the switch is one of FS105 and FS108, grounding the negative of the supply will get rid of BOTH the leakage from the SMPS AND the network leakage. NOTE, this ONLY happens for these two switch types. Grounding the supply to a different switch type does NOT block network leakage.

If you are powering a switch from a linear supply, this gets rid of the leakage going through the PS of the switch, but NOT the network leakage. The only way to get rid of the network leakage is to use one of the above switches AND ground the negative of the supply powering the switch, no matter WHAT that supply might be. (linear, SMPS, LPS-1 etc)

If you are using an LPS-1 to power the switch, see the above rules for ANY supply. ANY supply includes the LPS-1. Thus IF you have one of the two named switches and you are powering the switch from an LPS-1, you must ground the output of the LPS-1 in order to block the network leakage. This will only work with one of those two switches. Grounding the output of the LPS-1 will NOT block leakage if you are using some other switch. It will not help if the LPS-1 is driving some other type of device. Thus there is no reason to ground the output of an LPS-1 if it is NOT driving one of the above named switches.

There is one exception to the last point. IF the LPS-1 is driving an ISO REGEN there can be a situation where the whole audio system is floating with respect to earth ground and a charge can build up which can show up as clicks and pops. ONE earth ground in such a system can alleviate this. ONE way to do this is to ground the negative of the supply powering the ISO REGEN. If this supply is an LPS-1 then you can try grounding the output of the LPS-1 to see if it fixes the clicks and pops.

Grounding the INPUT to the LPS-1 can help in other situations by shunting the high impedance leakage.

I hope this makes things clear, I'm running out of ways to say this.

John S.

What if the power supplies are connected to a floating isolation transformer? Where should the grounding go?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, austinpop said:

Stock cords on both the sPS-500 and the Meanwells for the LPS-1. Eric hasn’t gone down the grounding path yet.

The sPS -500 negative DC is already grounded internally by design. Therefore no high impedance leakage currents. 

Since the LPS-1 DC input was an ungrounded Maxwell, there would possibly be a high impedance leakage current in the LPS-1 output.

Just saying..

I'm a new proud owner of the SOtM Trifecta ?. Not really an audiophile poet so suffice to say I'm dumbfounded by the improvement of the sound over my old setup even before breaking in the new components. 

My current connections are:

Roon to
Orbi WiFi router in HiFi room  (sPS-500@ 12V) to
D-Link DGS105 switch (sPS-500 one leg @7V) with modified regulators, capacitors and a clock input to
sMS200 (sPS-500 second leg@7V) modified to accept two clock inputs to
tX-USBultra (100W Zerozone to LPS-1 @7V) with clock outputs to above switch and sMS200 to
Vinnie Rossi LIO DHT DAC2.0

I have a problem with this setup in that sometimes in the middle of a song, the connection from Roon to the sMS200 gets cut off and often requires a reboot of some Trifecta devices to restore the connection. This occurs especially often with Roon upsampled to DSD512 files. Much less so with DSD256 and lower upsampling. But occasionally happens to simple 44.1MHz files too.

Never used to have issues with the microRendu. That unit just worked… until it didn’t and would then be a serious issue like micro SD card failure. 

I wonder if anyone here can explain what is the issue is and how to resolve this disconnect problem? Or in which order to reboot which Trifecta devices to reconnect the stream? I haven’t work this out yet and it currently seems random. Sometimes rebooting the sMS-200 and reconnecting the USB cable to the LIO DAC2.0 would do the trick, sometimes not. Sometimes switching everything off, waiting for 10 min then restarting would be the only way.

Thanks in advance for any information or experience. 

18 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

You can also try varying the Roon settings in Settings > Library > Background Audio Analysis Speed and Settings > Library > On-Demand Audio Analysis Speed

Wouldn't that be related to Roon scanning the file for dynamic range info and the display for sound levels in the track? I believe this is done only once per file after which the data is stored in Roon. 

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

First off, congratulations! Glad you're enjoying the SQ of your trifecta.

Regarding the issue, clearly it gets worse with higher data throughput. You'd think that even with DSD512 the demand is only 22 Mbps, but you still need to make sure your network is capable. I have seen this before, - not at DSD512 - but at DXD, and I traced it back to a couple of devices upstream of my reclocked switch. For me, the problem was solved by replacing my rental broadband modem/router with a dedicated Netgear modem, a TP-Link Archer C7 router, and a GS105 switch. 

So double check your network path all the way from the ingress from your ISP to your reclocked switch. Reseat ethernet cables in their ports. Basic stuff.

Also, play with Roon settings on both the Core and Roon Ready on the sMS:

• Core:
  • image.thumb.png.6d22f8d99ea56522d7cb0dea7b00ddb5.png
  • Roon Ready on sMS:
  • image.thumb.png.ce92085fb7e05b0bfa3d31694c420698.png

Hope some of this helps resolve the issue.

As for recovery, I find the easiest and most consistent is to restart the sMS-200. Occasionally, I'd have to first power cycle the tX, then the switch, and finally the sMS.

Thanks for your suggestions, your posts and findings are part of the reason why I started this Trifecta path :-)

I fiddled with the Resync Delay (from 0.2 to 0.3) and keeping the Buffer Duration at 0.1 seems to help. Kamal from SOtM suggests 0.5 but I'm finding that the playback speed starts too slowing with this setting. Perhaps having 2 resync delays in Roon and the sMS-200 causes this streaming problem? If Roon is holding back data for sync purposes at 500ms this may cause the sMS-200 to loose data long enough to hang, unless it's Resync Delay is set longer or long enough to receive the data from Roon. Does this make sense? 

So far since this adjustment, I haven't had a hang yet and DSD512 files are playing just fine.

Haven't tried changing the Roon side Resync Delay yet but will leave this as an option to test just in case I still have issues later.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

If you want simple buy Apple and enjoy iTunes.  There's a cost to the one button simple approach. 

I dont think anyone into Apple/iTunes for serious listening will be following this thread. This is an extreme thread and much suggested here is empirical. "It just works" doesn't apply here for sure. 

I'm comfortable with non-simple solutions but complex systems should at the very least - work. My SOtM spaghetti with Uptone meatballs is having a connectivity issue since day 1. Hangs mid-track from time to time and I'm hoping to solve this with a Teamviewer session tonight with Kim.

So why do I persist with complex solutions? When it all comes together and works, oh boy audio nirvana! x-D

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I doubt a mid-track hang has anything to do with hardware.  Of course it's possible, but it sounds more like a software or network issue.  What software are you using?

I'm using Roon Server on a Macbook Pro streaming it via WiFi to the hifi room. 

Last night K.Kim Teamviewed in to have a look around. He had me remove the 24M and 25M clock cables in turn with a reboot to see the effect on Eunhasu and pings from the Terminal app on the Mac.

The conclusion is that the modified sMS-200 was not clocking properly from the tx-USBultra and I have to return it for repair.

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

My point was that complex is to be expected and complaining about what a spaghetti mess it may be or how it's not simple is contrary to the entire thread.  I didn't mean to come off condescending,  I just think that we as consumers have been programmed by companies like Apple to accept a simple one button solution.  Complex doesn't mean it's not good.  Complex to me means I have options, there's a lot involved and it's customizable. 

Wasn't trying to complain but pointing out that a Server to DAC to Speaker system isn't simple if the Server is actually spaghetti stuffed in a box... in a light hearted way. Sorry if it came across as a complaint.

Agreed that complex allows many options and adjustments but it makes troubleshooting pretty difficult as was in my case being not so savvy with electronics. I ended up discovering it was a hardware problem with Kim's help (took him only 1 hour to do so) but I had to go through 2 weeks of software reinstalls/updates, network hardware changes, wire (DC, clock, USB, ethernet) swaps and countless reboots in different sequences. 

If I had to do it again, I'd still stay complex though, the quality of sound is night and day difference when optimised properly and this isn't possible with a simple system.

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

So this should have been caught by SOtM QA testing prior to shipment?  

They probably tested it but my problem was intermittent - my SOtA/Uptone stack would play for a few hours/minutes just fine then in mid-track, it would crash. Sometimes a complete reboot of all components would solve the problem, other times the stack simply wouldn't reboot. So it was difficult to figure out what happened.

Fortunately the stack was in a state of working when Kim connected into my system and he actually watched it start to disconnect with intermittent successful sMS-200 pings and then finally totally fail. He rooted into the sMS-200, did some checks in Eunhasu, had me reboot with clock cables disconnected (first 24M then both 24M and 25M) and kept an eye on the network pings. Eventually concluding it was a hardware issue.

There are probably many here that have the Trifecta set and it's not as if every other stack fails. So I just count myself unlucky. SOtM agreed to send me a new replacement immediately and not wait for me to return my unit first, that's pretty decent of them. Hope to have it before Christmas..

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, marce said:

Generally it the mechanical team that put the hardware together not those poor EE's. Again though in a domestic environment I would wonder how much internal vibration the components will face and would it have any effect... 

Big, big difference when components are placed on vibration managed platforms. Years ago when I placed my AR CD-7 and BAT VK-5i pre-amp on an Symposium Isis platform and replaced the existing footers with Symposium solids couplers and Rollerblocks, the change in sound was nothing short of a major system upgrade. Bigger soundstage, more solid presence, clarity of sound. A sceptical friend that helped me assemble the rack was gobsmacked by the change. 

Vibration management is so important that I was contemplating atomic microscope active platforms to reduce vibrations. O.o

21 hours ago, marce said:

I know a lot about vibration management and its effects on the electronics, domestic situations are mild trust me on that and cables vibrating...

Your ears must bleed at the levels you are playing music...

A decent stand will do the job.

I don't how you know vibrations in my setup has mild effects. Haha

or that I listen to music loudly.  ?

I think you don't have an understanding how vibrations affect systems or you wouldn't say this. It's the micro vibrations that make a huge difference. Doesn't require massive earth shaking vibrations for the effects to be heard.

I'll continue to trust my ears and 10 years of experiments with vibration management. The changes are as profound as SOtM products.

Enough on this subject, better get back to the topic

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Have you actually tried these cables to compare them to those recommended by SOtM?  If so, would you please describe the nature and magnitude of the difference in SQ?

I just place the 3 new Pasternack PE33476LF-12 (RG316-DS wire, double shielded) clock cables into my system 2 days ago along with 2 Ghent unshielded DC cables from my 2 sPS-500 units replacing the original short SOtM and another longer JSSG Ghent cable. The overall effect off the swap was a thicken and fleshing out of the body in the sound much like the effect of adding the IsoRegen. A more forward and rounded 3D feel to it. A very nice change but also added a small smearing of detail and slightly fatter bass. 

It's an experiment with shielding DC cables. There is talk of benefit but also a possibility of over dampening the sound so I'm trying various arrangements to see what happens.

I'm thinking of letting the wires burn for a few more days then remove them to see the change in sound. I'm hoping the 3D effect will remain but with more detail and tighter bass.

As for the contribution of just the 3, 24 and 25MHz cables within the Trifecta, I will know after I swap them out. And will update my findings here after.

The original SOtM-US recommended cables from Digikey were the J1212-ND version with RG316 single shield wire.

26 minutes ago, flkin said:

Just received my Cybershaft UPOCXO-01 OP14 clock a few days ago :D 

What a device! Its effect can be heard immediate but over time it gets better. I have some info to share from my exchanges with Kenji Hagesawa, the owner of Cybershaft. He says to expect the following:

Minimum warm up - 30 minutes

30 min - perceived improvement (from the max available from the clock effect) is 50%

24 hours - 60%

72 hours - 75%

30 days - 100%

And this resets once the clock is powered off. So he recommends to leave it on all the time.

He further says that the brain needs a few days to get used to the new sound stage. This is of course the Brain Burn-in we are all so familiar with. O.o

Interestingly enough he has some comments about BNC cables to be used. He has a SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) test to check if the cable is good and provides this test for the shielded cables he sells (very reasonably priced). He says:

" Ideally it is 1.0000 but it is evaluated against the physical impedance integrity of the cable. If there are cable performance defects, bad connectors, or machining failure SWR will be a large value. It can be said that there is no problem if SWR value is normally 1.5 or less "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio

The 0.5m, 50ohm BNC cable he supplied me measured 1.0006

I just received my Cybershaft OP-14 clock which I will be using with my Trifecta and it's a brilliant addition to the stable (you know the 3 horses..? whatever..) :D

I wrote some quick facts about warmup time and BNC cable testing and posted it in the Cybershaft thread. Not sure if this is the way to do link that to this post, hope it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...