IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

I managed to get a chunk of late night time to do some experiments.

I set my baseline as:

- sMS > Curious 0.2m > ISO-Regen > USPCB > tX > Lush 0.7m > Codex

I was able to try these configurations:

1. - sMS > Lush > ISO-Regen > USPCB > tX > Curious 0.2m > Codex
  2. - sMS > USPCB (90º) > ISO-Regen > Lush > tX > Curious 0.2m > Codex
  3. - sMS > Lush > tX > Curious 0.2m > Codex (to mimic @[email protected]'s scenario)

Hi austinpop.  Have you tried the sMS > USPCB > ISO-Regen > USPCB > tx combination?

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks go to @Cornan for posting the concept and recommending the Gophert power supply (I am using a CPS-1610 16V 10A model) and @austinpop for recommending the BK Precision 1604A isolating transformer.

My objective was to improve the power supply to my Synology DS213+ NAS, where all of my music files reside.  Frankly, my expectations were low, but since the financial outlay was relatively small, I decided to give it a try.

I received the isolating transformer first.  There was a perceptible improvement, but I was not especially excited about the result.  However, after installing the Gophert, I heard a very dramatic improvement in sound quality.  Music became much more detailed and dynamic, images sharpened, and the soundstage deepened.  I heard the magic to which @Cornan has previously alluded. 

This is good to hear.  I have a Synology DS216j, which is still being powered by the supplied adapter.  I think I will buy this Gophert model, which as you say is relatively inexpensive.  What dc lead are you using to connect it to the Synology?  

I don't think BK supply isolation transformers with UK voltage so I will have to look for something similar.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

33 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Here is something to consider https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps1500

It is a balanced isolation transformer with grounded secondary. 

Otherwise I can highly recommend the Peaktech 2240 which is a isolation transformer with floating secondary. I use this myself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PeakTech-Isolation-Transformer-500-W-1-x-2240/dp/B0067K0ESA

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm afraid I have little technical knowledge and don't know what the relative merits are of grounded and floating secondaries.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, afrancois said:

I glued the sheets on top of the LPS-1 for example and it perfectly dissipates the heat the LPS-1 generates. I even have cooling fins resting on top of them.

Interesting to learn about how these sheets can help improve sound quality.  The only thing I am left wondering before giving them a try is whether the matetial is removable without causing damage once it is stuck down.  Need to think about resale value of components further down the line.  Does the material need to be stuck down for maximum effectiveness?

On 19/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, afrancois said:

When the surface you would like to apply the 3M on gets hot, I think it’s better to glue them on. Of course I’ve never tried to remove them. I use it underneath the sMS-200 and under the sPS-500 and there it is glued onto the surface where the devices are resting on.

Thanks. I might buy one sheet to begin with and experiment a bit without sticking anything down. Perhaps try with some low-tack material like blu tack.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The chips in all these devices run at 3.3V or less, this is supplied by a switching DC-DC converter. This means you should be able to run it from a supply at the rated voltage down to 4.5V or so.

The manufacturers go with higher voltage supplies so they can use a very cheap lower current supply.  So you almost certainly can run from a lower voltage supply as long as it can handle the current at the lower voltage.

Exactly how much current that is will depend on how many connections you have to the switch, whether they are Gigabit or 100Mbit, how much traffic there is on each port etc.

John S.

My Netgear FS105 v3 does not work with the LPS-1 (on either 5v or 7v), so I would have to use it with my iFi iPower 12v.  For the moment, I have chosen to use the ZyXEL ES-105A v3 with the LPS-1 running at 5v.

1 hour ago, afrancois said:

The FS105 v3 however works with the MeanWell (7.5V) that comes with the LPS-1.

I’ll give it a try with the Meanwell, and try the grounding tweak, but I’m expecting that the iFi iPower (with grounding) will sound better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2017 at 9:02 AM, str-1 said:

My Netgear FS105 v3 does not work with the LPS-1 (on either 5v or 7v), so I would have to use it with my iFi iPower 12v.  For the moment, I have chosen to use the ZyXEL ES-105A v3 with the LPS-1 running at 5v.

I also have a Netgear GS105 v5, and yes, as others have found out, while the FS105 v3 does not work with the LPS-1, the GS105 v5 does.

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

I don't know what you think you are gaining by using an LPS-1 or an LPS with the Netgear switch. Just ground the negative DC line and you are good to go.

You might be right.  I have already grounded the smps into the switch and I can’t say that I am hearing an obvious improvement swapping that out for the LPS-1 (Meanwell output also grounded).  But I have had to downgrade the downstream fmc input to its stock smps in order to try the LPS-1 with the GS105.  

If there is any improvement, it is miniscule compared to the improvement I got ferriting my Supra Cat8 cables and grounding all the smps (not sure how much improvement to attribute to each of these actions).

• 1 month later...

With some people already prefering the current Uptone LPS-1 to the Paul Hynes SR4, and others seeing them as different flavoured power supplies of roughly equal overall merit, can we expect the just announced LPS-1.2 to be a clear winner for anything requiring <1.1A?

• 2 weeks later...

Great review @austinpop

With both you and @romaz backing the SE, tx-USBultra and master clock approach, that pretty much sells it to me.  I’m already enjoying the SE connected to the Chord DAVE via an LPS-1-powered ISO Regen, and have just ordered an SR4.  I’ll probably put an order in for the Chord Blu 2 next week and was intending to get a tx-USBultra, which I will now order with a master clock input.  I’ll wait until I’ve got all that, and it is properly run in, before trying out a masterclock.  Cheers

As I prepare to order a tx-USBultra with master clock input it occurs to me that I have no idea what version is better to order - 50ohm or 75ohm.  It will be some time before I am in a position to decide on what master clock to get here in the UK.  I would be grateful for any advice those who have already gone down tne master clock road can offer.  Thanks.

28 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Since you have the Dave, and are heading to a Blu-Dave, I seem to remember Roy saying (in his head-fi posts, or perhaps in email - I can't remember) that he found that once he got the Blu, the clock improvements upstream shrank in their overall importance. IOW, you may not hear as profound an improvement adding a tX-USBultra, and then a reference clock, as I or others not using a Blu-Dave do.

Thanks, that’s very helpful.  So the best approach for me to explore that possible road would be to get the Blu 2 first, and then try out the tx-USBultra.  And if that is successful, then try the master clock (assuming I have the tx-USBultra with the appropriate input).  That gives me a roadmap for the next 3-4 months.

As an aside, I’ve just read a post on the head-fi Blu 2 thread saying the 100 Zenith SE units have now been sold by Innuos.  But it is probably still possible to track down one or two among the dealers.

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Great.  My SE just arrived an hour ago.  I may need a doctor.

And I'm only the fourth week into mine.  But I'm not bothered.  Always expected Innuos would look to top the SE this year.  No guarantees of course, but I would like to think that an SE + USB regenerator (ISO Regen or tx-USBultra), with good power supply (e.g. SR4), plus ferrites and maybe some of @romaz warranty-destroying tweaks, would equal or come close to equaling the next Innuos flagship, and probably for significantly less money.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies if this question has been addressed in earlier posts.  I’ve followed one or two promising links from the index but couldn’t find what I was looking for.  When using a USB regenerator like the tx-USBultra or ISO Regen, are the USB cables before and after of equal importance in terms of their impact on sound quality, or would the payback on investing in better quality be greater with the cable after the regenerator than with the one before it (or vice versa)?

4 hours ago, str-1 said:

My apologies if this question has been addressed in earlier posts.  I’ve followed one or two promising links from the index but couldn’t find what I was looking for.  When using a USB regenerator like the tx-USBultra or ISO Regen, are the USB cables before and after of equal importance in terms of their impact on sound quality, or would the payback on investing in better quality be greater with the cable after the regenerator than with the one before it (or vice versa)?

Thanks for those responses, guys.

I’m just over two weeks into the 6-8 week wait for my Chord Blu 2 and I might need to buy a USB cable or two to prepare for its arrival.  

The options I currently have are the 1.5m stock cable that came with my DAVE, a 200mm Curious USB and two USPCBs.  I have the stock cable connecting my Zenith SE to my ISO Regen, and a USPCB connecting that to the DAVE.  When the Blu 2 turns up I will have the Zenith, Blu 2 and DAVE on different shelves of a vertical equipment rack, which will also have to accommodate either an ISO Regen or a tx-USBultra (possibly both, and their power supplies).  In that setup, the USPCB might not be usable, although I’m hopeful of making some use of the Curious cable, most probably connecting the IR with the Blu 2 on the same shelf.  If I can do that, I’m wondering if the stock USB will be good enough connecting the Zenith to the IR to do my system justice, or whether I will need to invest in something a little better.  

Of course, if I can’t use either the USPCB or the Curious I will have to buy something better anyway.

Following up on a very helpful pm, I discussed with May what upgrade options might be available when ordering a tx-USBultra.  She confirmed that I could order with either 7N UPOCC copper or 7N UPOCC silver internal wiring upgrades, and also with an EMI absorption sheet.  Has anyone been able to compare the stock tx-USBultra with one that has upgraded internal wiring, or who has been able to compare with and without the EMI sheet (which I am assuming I would have to cut up and place rather than it being already attached in the best places)?  Thanks for any feedback on this.

21 hours ago, str-1 said:

Following up on a very helpful pm, I discussed with May what upgrade options might be available when ordering a tx-USBultra.  She confirmed that I could order with either 7N UPOCC copper or 7N UPOCC silver internal wiring upgrades, and also with an EMI absorption sheet.  Has anyone been able to compare the stock tx-USBultra with one that has upgraded internal wiring, or who has been able to compare with and without the EMI sheet (which I am assuming I would have to cut up and place rather than it being already attached in the best places)?  Thanks for any feedback on this.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  While I can tryout the standard unit on 30-day return terms, I wouldn’t have been able to return a special order internal wire upgrade, hence my hope that others could comment on the effect of this.  Cheers

It’s still very early days for the LPS-1.2 but has anyone had chance yet to compare it with the Paul Hynes SR4 powering SOtM gear?  

If Paul delivers to schedule, my SR4 is still up to a couple of weeks away.  When it arrives, and after 150-200 hours run-in,  I will compare its performance against the LPS-1 powering my ISO regen and also a tx-USBultra that I have yet to order (still not sure whether to go for the 9V or 12V model - grateful for any advice).  The LPS-1.2 is a little cheaper than the SR4/silver cable in the UK (only just over £30 difference) and I could get one this week with time enough to cancel the SR4 order if people are finding it better than the SR4.  On the otherhand, if it’s not that much better than the SR4, I’ll stick with the latter just for the sake of having the extra amperage headroom. Thanks in advance for any views.

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Round 3: After 200+ hours of LPS-1.2 burn in

I was out of town for about 5 days, which for audiophiles is pure gold, as it means "burn-in baby, burn-in!" Before I left, I also corrected another difference in setup, by replacing the stock power cords of the LPS-1.2 energizing supplies with a couple more of my trusty Pangea AC-14SE MkII power cords.

Well, whether it was the extra 100 hours, the power cords or both, I'm now just about ready to declare a tie. I'd say the LPS-1.2 with the Pangea power cord for the energizing supply, and with 200 hours of burn-in, is neck-to-neck with the SR-4.

I found one track to be particularly useful in this evaluation: Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes, from Paul Simon's Graceland 25th Anniversary 96/24 album. This track can veer towards sibilance very easily with a lesser system. The LPS-1.2 at 25 hours exhibited this sibilance markedly - especially Paul Simon's voice when he said "soles" or "shoes." By 200+ hours, the sibilance is gone, and replaced with a rich but smooth tonality.

Tonality-wise, I would still say the LPS-1.2 is the "brighter" and the SR-4 the "darker." But I would not equate one to "better" or "worse." This is where system synergy comes in. If you are trying to tame brightness in your system, the SR-4 would be a great fit. On the other hand, if you want just a hint more sparkle, the LPS-1.2 would fit the bill.

And of course, if you're UK-based, the SR-4 is certainly a very good value, whereas for US buyers, the LPS-1.2 is a bargain.

I'll do one more round with the LPS-1.2 with silver cable @mozes is lending me, once it gets here.

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to learning if the LPS-1.2 pulls ahead with the silver cable, or whether that will make it sound too bright.

There might be a place for both the LPS-1.2 and the SR4 in my system.  I already have the ISO Regen, and the tx-USBultra is due today.  For the sake of reducing the number of components I have and be able to sell some gear, I am hoping that the tx-USBultra on its own will prove to deliver the best sound quality.  But I will of course try it in tandem with the IR (IR > tx-USBultra/SR4), running the IR initially with one of the LPS-1s I have but also with an LPS-1.2 once the tx-USBultra and SR4 are fully run-in.  With both an IR and tx-USBultra, two USPCBs, 8 inch Curious Link and 70cm Lush USB cables (plus short and long stock USB cables), an SR4 and two LPS-1s, and then a LPS-1.2 (on trial),  I should have enough options to find a tone I like.

2 hours ago, welldone said:

SR4 is more expensive than LPS 1.2 actually.

That will certainly be the case in the US, but in tne UK the SR4 (with copper dc cable) is cheaper than the LPS-2.1.  Prices today (including VAT and UK delivery) are:

LPS-1.2 (without mains cable)    £433.80 (£439.80 with UK mains cable)

SR4    £415 (£450 with silver dc cable)

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

I would love to hear other voices reviewing the SR-4. Did I miss it, or am I the only one who has had anything to say about it?

Come on, people! :D

I will be happy to offer some thoughts once mine turns up and is run-in.  Paul said I would get it today or tomorrow.  But I haven’t yet received any tracking info, so I am not so sure about that.  Anyway, should be sometime this week.

I have the 9V tX-USBultra, so with that, can only compare the SR4 to a Gophert smps and the tX-U’s own smps (like you, I have some misgivings about opening up the tX-U and changing tne voltage, even though May said I could).  But I can compare the SR4 to an LPS-1 using my ISO Regen.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

While on the topic of PSUs, I find an clear improvement running the ISO regen on 5V - much better sounding as this bypasses the internal voltage regulators...

Thanks.  I didn’t realise you could do that.  I’ll give it a go.

14 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Thanks.  I didn’t realise you could do that.  I’ll give it a go.

Just had a look at the ISO Regen manual and see that the IR requires power in the range 6V-8V.  But it is at the moment running off a 5V feed from the LPS-1.