IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I did not try those, but I did give these Canare cables a shot:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010CIW98

I heard no difference at all vs the $2.50 Monoprice 2m BNC cables with ferrites, and maybe the very  and very occasional slightest of expectation bias induced difference with no ferrites (even then it was maybe 1 out of 6 trials as I swapped back and forth?  I marked it a equivalent)

In my case, it is ultra specific to what works between the Chord Blu2 and Chord DAVE DAC, so very difficult to generalize from that.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Helpful indeed, thanks again.

I should say (since I haven't been active here) that with the Chord BluDAVE driving Omega SAMs direct, I really key off timing detail and soundstage queues when looking for degradations.  With solid well recorded content, in my experience the most ephemeral soundstage feature is height resolution, followed by depth resolution, then a collapsing of timing/attack detail and lateral resolution.

At its best, the soundstage is absolutely holographic: seemingly infinite resolution, and a true surround image (with binaural recordings, it is like listening to at atmos mix in 2 channel, but with vivid spatial detail).  With choral recordings, you can clearly perceive the height of the various singers as they stretch back and up on their risers.  It is eerie, and the near continuous depth queues quickly collapse when RF noise come into the mix (apparently for reasons Rob cited in his post).

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

12 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

With all due respect, you’ve got some quality gear there, do treat it with respect. What is this “ferrites on cheap cables” mambo-jumbo? Get some decent cables and enjoy the music.

LOL, it is a bit embarrassing, isn't it?  All ribbing for the ferrite shame is well deserved and well earned.

FWIW, the context here is hearing the CD transport in the Blu2 be staggeringly better than the USB input.  For a "bits are bits" guy, that was a massive slap upside the head, and I did apologize to everyone that obsesses over the digital chain in my review ;)

In the case of what I was doing with Chord Blu2 + DAVE specifically, my objective was to get the USB input to sound as good as the CD, with the hypothesis that degradations on the digital side were what was dragging it down.  The ferrites and cheap digital cables got me there, which is awesome, so I didn't need to get to that next level with more exotic digital cables.  I'm not averse to same (esp. on the analog side), but I tend to build up to diminishing returns rather than jumping in at the top (It's more fun and I learn more that way).

Based on what I've heard though, I'm pretty sure with better transducers (likely the Voxativ's), I'll be in a position to hear even more upstream refinements and get even better than the CD transport direct, which is why I'm very grateful to lurk here and learn from everyone's experiences.  Once I step up my transducer game and work on the analog side of the fence some more, I'm sure to swing back to power to the DAC, then head back upstream to the digital side.

• 4 weeks later...

Rob is elbow deep with his own efforts with his analog to digital converter (Davina) using the same mScaler, and 40 element pulse array (32bit + 8bit headroom) to get to same, but that will be a while until that is commercially available.  Some high quality recordings mScale'ed to 768kHz (and even 384kHz to be playable by more people) would be quite revealing to folks I think.  The Blu2 really is a revelation.

• 1 month later...

When I (briefly) spoke with Jim this week, he had basically given up on getting more 6 gauge wire (something about a minimum order being in the 6 figures).  At this point, it seems to be unobtanium, but I may have misunderstood him.  You should give him a ping Bruce.

I'm having some electrical work done this week for an electric wall charger, so I'm punting and having 2 dedicated lines put in with standard 10 gauge solid core Romex.  If in the future Jim is able to source his 6 gauge wire (or Roy decides to have his house torn down and has some spare sitting around ;) I'll just have those runs rerun.

Once the lines are in place, I'm hoping to be able to audition some of Jim's power conditioners, and perhaps experiment with various combinations using the 2 dedicated lines (various permutations of analog/digital and high/low power draw, etc)  I too have a Chord setup, so Rob's hypothesis that the Chord DAVE power supply is adversely impacting adjacent systems (detailed in the link to Roy's post on head fi) is worth testing in my setup.

1 hour ago, Bruce Orr said:

Thanks. I'll send a note to Jim to see if he's ready to admit the AWG 6 - to his specs - ain't gonna happen. I'll let you know one way or the other.  10 solid is the fallback. 

If he can source 2x25' lengths of the 6 AWG cord, I'm in!

2 hours ago, d_elm said:

6-3 Romex is available from the hardware chains, eg homedepot. Are you looking for special copper ?

Thanks @d_elm.  My understanding (very loose, since we only have been able to speak briefly) is that he recommends a specific 6AWG cable.  I suspect it is solid core (based on posts of others), and the typical 6 AWG (and 8AWG) power cable is stranded.  Jim recommends the 10 AWG Romex, which is also solid core.  I've been poking around, but I haven't (yet) found any solid core options in 6 AWG or 8 AWG.

I defer to others who've been able to work with Jim more than I have to clarify one way or the other (I hope to chat again with him this week)

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Good question, but I'm not sure the model is right.

FWIW - To my ears, the endpoint and a properly sized server brings different and complimentary things. The endpoint adds transparency, harmonics and creates the sense of space. The server adds density and weight where a poorly size server makes the sound more thin, so it is tough to hear the contrast and transients.

This is a very helpful description, thank  you Larry.  

I am still trying to get my head around how the server side could be having such an impact (not questioning whether it is real, just commiserating with the happy question of "why?").  How can an ethernet-based transport be impacted by the upstream server, esp. with different transport protocols? (RAAT, etc)  

I was noodling on this on the drive in to work this morning.  For those with multiple server NUC configurations, if you are running both at the same time on the same network and streaming to different end points, is there any cross feed in SQ?   That is, if you are listening to A-level server talking to A-level end point, do you hear a SQ change if B-level server starts streaming content to a B-level end point on the same network? (bonus point if on same switches)

Back to lurk mode while I wait for my NUC to arrive ;)

16 hours ago, Bricki said:

Of course there are better dacs than a mojo but I would rather spend my money to improve things upstream because that is where I believe the more significant bottle necks are. 

@austinpop may have an opinion about the relative benefits of improving the dac vs improving everything before the dac??

He has had a lot of recent experience with doing exactly that, so he may be able to chime in here. 

Rajiv will of course speak to his opinion, but I've seen astronomical improvement by up leveling DACs.  It may be heretical, but my view is that everything before the analog chain (I include DAC in the analog chain) takes away SQ.   For me, all the work on the digital/network side is about taking away as little as possible.

By way of example, I documented my journey up the DAC (and transducer) ladders here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19435

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews#review-19675

(as a bonus, this documented my journey from Mojo to Hugo2 to DAVE to BluDAVE, related to question earlier about whether an update from Mojo is worthwhile)

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Quick update... like a moth drawn to the flame, I keep getting drawn back to running squeezelite with large buggers on my NUC as a Roon endpoint, because of the better SQ... and then I get burned when it starts misbehaving again.

With somewhat wishful thinking, I switched over to Squeezelite-R2, in the hope it would be more stable. No such luck.

When it works though ... aah!

I've learned to hit play and leave it alone!!  Watching the detailed logs, it looks like it is the two way orchestration is when things glitch

I can't go back to Roon Bridge, but I can't impose squeezelite on civilians (yet)

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Bridged topology

As you would expect, with bridging, the topology now looks like:

Thank you for the report Rajiv!  May I ask, what are you using for the second ethernet port on your NUC server?

I'm currently in the middle of linux-fu to get a WiFi/ethernet bridge working on my server NUC, just to keep another device off the USB controller on the server, but keep hitting roadblocks.

(oops, I see the response above now...thank you!)

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi Ray,

Yes, I am using the same USB 3 Ethernet dongle I bought 2 years ago to bridge my Dell machine at the time. The chipset is:

Device-2: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152 

IF: enp0s20f0u2 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full 

EDIT: It's still on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOP70EC

Thank you Rajiv!  I'll snag one to play with as I work on WiFi/Ethernet bridging (frustratingly close)

To your question about why it makes a difference, does anyone have a sense of what happens on bridged segments at the physical layer?  That is, is the only electrical signal that gets sent on the bridged port packets intended for the the device on the other side of the bridge?

Pure speculation, but our experiments with large buffers with SqueezeLite on the end point NUC clearly points to ethernet traffic having a very noticeable impact on SQ on the end point.  My hypothesis (untested) is that the end point responding to interrupts from the ethernet controller is somehow impacting the connection to the DAC over USB (data and audio have different messaging interfaces in USB, so there may be some contention in the USB controller?)

There is some network-related mechanism underlying the SQ difference we hear with large buffers.  To narrow it down, on my near infinite "to test" list is see if copying a large file to the large buffer SL end point during playback causes SQ to fall back to what we heard with small buffers.  If it does. next test would be to see if pushing heaving traffic across a shared switch (non-bridge config) impacts SQ on a large buffer SL end point connected to that switch.  

Alas, I'm a couple weeks away from having time for the next series of tests, but it is great to read that bridging still has an impact with the NUCs.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to @austinpop for taking time out of his recent visit to San Diego to join our little audio group for an lovely evening of wine, ceviche, geek talk about servers and networks, and fine music from Hugo mScaler + DAVE direct to single driver high efficiency speakers (Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Voxativ 9.87's with 4D drivers, and Voxativ Zeth's with 1.8 drivers).  

Very well timed for the same day that Rajiv's fantastic Hugo mScaler + Hugo TT2 DAC review got posted (we'll see if we tempted him with the DAVE ;)

I've only recently started down the road of optimizing my upstream of the DAC chain (couple NUCs, ISO Regen, etc), so we all appreciated the discussion on master clocks, network and power isolation, etc.  MUCH to learn, but fantastic to be able to share the trails being blazed here.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when I was doing my SL experiments, I inexplicably was hearing differences between LMS and Roon as a server, but only for certain tracks.  I tracked it down to some transcoding that was happening (hidden in the LMS configuration matrix).  Once I turned off transcoding, order returned to the universe.

To echo the experience of others, I don't have any skipping with LMS and SqueezeLite, only Roon Core.  Alas Rajiv, my experience on how low I can take buffers very closely mimics yours: Lots of sensitivity to input buffers and ALSA buffers, but less so to output buffer.

As an aside, I'm currently running Roon Bridge on my NUC endpoint, but feeding it with two ISO Regen's in series (LPS 1.2 powering both).  That has hugely narrowed the SQ gap between Roon Bridge and SL with large buffers for me (almost equivalent).  Lots more experimentation to do, including rerunning a lot of my previous listening tests to see what may have changed as the rest of my chain has evolved, but an interesting hint (for me) of what may be going on with large buffers in SL.

7 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

What exactly did you do to turn off transcoding?

It was on the screen that had the different file types, with the transcoding target to different file types.  I had to go through one by one to make sure my main audio formats (flac, mp4, wav, dsf, etc) were getting passed through as native files.  

If helpful, I can fire up LMS and look for the specific admin screen (let me know).  Alas, I didn't find a switch to make a global change

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Please try it and tell us what you find.

Interesting, using 

ethtool eno1

I just checked the ethernet speed on my 7i7 NUC endpoint (running AudioLinux) and I'm getting 10Mb/sec(!)

That may explain why I've had some skipping issues with very high res files

Time to figure out how to set or what is causing the low negotiated speed

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

hmm. so I guess I can tell him what I need - e.g what my server is, how many amp I need etc and he may be able to build one then? I hope he is more reliable than Paul Hynes. From your article it takes 6 months to get the Server+ LPS !  A LPS to separately supply the CPU, ethernet etc. I already have a separate DC supply to SSD & USB bridge. 

In my experience with Sean, his communication and follow through has been impeccable (and I adore the custom supply he built for me).  Absolutely hassle/stress free interaction, met my delivery expectations to a "T", and well exceeded my expectations on impact to my system.  Everyone that I know that has worked with him has a similar story.  Unqualified recommendation from me.

I am still waiting on my SR4 and SR7 (might be several years for me...build #31), so I can't speak to whether the hassle of is worth the wait.

19 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Haha, you mean Pau Hynes is still supposedly making them for you?  Several years for a LPS ? By then a full size hand made cello or even luxury piano would have been finished already ! 

I should clarify. I ordered both over the past 4-7 months. I expect the SR4 hopefully this summer, but woth Paul working on the mid teens for the SR7, might be another couple years. I hope he is able to get into a groove and start cranking out a couple a month, so I get to see mine in 2020 (my hearing isn’t getting any better!!)

The silver lining for me is that well probably have gone through a couple more  waves of server strategies by then (I’m sticking to my NUCs until my SR7 arrives)