IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

20 minutes ago, barrows said:

Of course the heat sink on the case is helping, if it was not drawing away heat, then the sink would remain at room temperature!  I realize that this approach is not the "best" way to cool the internal chips, as these chips are not in direct contact with the case.  But, one has to consider that the air inside the case is transferring heat from the chips, to the case, and hence to the heat sink on top of the case.  

Could the heat dissipation be better with direct contact tot he chips, of course it could, but this does not mean that the sink on the case is not lowering the internal temperature of the eR, it has to be, because the heat sink can be seen to rise above room ambient temperature.  Remember, the case has very little distance internally, from the PCB to its surface, and will conduct heat both by radiation and convection to the case.

When I run the microRendu v 1.4 in my bedroom system at DSD 512, it gets very hot, so I added an external heatsink, and this lowers the case temperature by about 5-6 C. this will help with long term reliability.

Also, remember it is not just a single chip in the eR which is creating all that heat, because there are multiple linear LDOs in there which drop significant voltage, so just dealing with a single chip is not what one wants to do. Thinking about it, a little ventilation for the case could do wonders as well, especially if it was applied in such a fashion as to encourage convective airflow though the case...  The case is small, so the internal air volume heats up a lot.

Thank you barrows for technikal explenations. My heat sink  is pretty warm, that's mean it is working and now I will have much better sleep😉.

Also working good like weight (weighting almost 2 pounds), keeping ER on the place due to use stiff ethernet wires🙂.

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000