IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Since you guys have been offering help to the DIY-challenged, I would appreciate suggestions for my problem.

I always used an LPS-1 set at 7v to power my sMS-200ultra set at 9v and never had a problem.  @MayfromSOtMtold me it was a bad idea, so I opened the case and changed the jumpers.  In the process, I also dislodged a cable and had to return the unit to Korea for repair.

When I recently tried to open the case to change the voltage setting back to 9v, I discovered the screws are now too tight for me to unscrew them.  The price of this discovery was damaged threads on 2 screws.  May has been completely uncooperative in helping me and refuses to even acknowledge that they made the screws too tight.  (Never mind the fact that I was able to open the unit once before, or that I also opened my sPS-500 and tX-USBultra without incident.)  Even if I were to spend the $100-150 to return it to Korea, there is a high likelihood they won't fix it given May's lack of cooperation to this point.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting the screws out that don't involve a drill?

Hi auricgoldfinger, 

Sorry to hear you still don't get solution on this matter from our local partner, but every screws were tightened by a fixed constant power driver and it can be unscrewed by a handy driver also, it doesn't mean that only your product is firmly tighten specially. As you have requested, in this time I have loosened the screws almost halfway also, but anyway I am very sorry for the same result you experienced.

Speaking of pulling the screws out,  the screw heads are already broken and damaged a lot,  so the only way what you can do is using a drill and take out the screws by force. You know I already sent a few extra screws to be replaced, you will need to practice to pull out the screws by a drill and then apply it to the damaged screws on the product or simply ask what to do for this situation to the store where you bought.

We always try our best to support our customers and that is what I have to do,  I'm sorry again to hear your situation but I'm trying my best to support.

Thank you.

Best regards, May.

18 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Just found more details about that impressive mod for Oppo UDP-205 below

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39919&start=45

25MHz TCXO here

http://www.foxonline.com/pdfs/fox924.pdf

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/fox-electronics/FOX924B-25.000/631-1074-1-ND/1024779

27MHz OCXO here

http://www.sbtron.co.kr/english/product/product_ocxo.html

http://www.sbtron.co.kr/korean/product/pdfs/ocxo_sboc_25_sine.pdf

The clocks cables that were going between boths PCBs didn't seem to be all that special, and then the clocks themselves could be replaced by even better ones. Of course we should also power both clocks directly with LT3045 or LPS-1.2 etc.

Hi, I would like to share the pictures how I've setup the sCLK-EX for UDP-203 and UDP-205, also I've built up the new power board for the digital input for UDP-205. The modification have been done impressively and if anyone would like to try out this modification, please email for more details and final quote.

This is my email address: [email protected]

Thank you.

Best regards, May

12 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Wow, this thing looks mighty!

@MayfromSOtM, any indication of the price? I hope you will bring it as a finished product to High End Munich in May, it’s high on my shopping list!

Hi AmusedToD, 

Not yet ready for the price information, so sorry, but yes, we are planning to show up the switch for the first time to coming AXPONA and Munich show!! :)

Thank you!

Best regards, May

13 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Ok, good job.

Are you able to share some info regarding the specs of the switch? Will it accept 12V power supplies? Is it based on the sCLK platform? Do the inputs/outputs have some sort of audio grade isolation?

have not much infomation to share since I've already shared the information which I've known :) It will be 12V input and the sCLK-EX would be installed optionally and the audio grade filter feature will be used which has been used in iSO-CAT6.

Thank you~

Best regards, May

23 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Thanks, May.

I already have and use the ISO-CAT6, does this mean I won’t need it anymore if I buy your switch?

No, I mean this feature is applied to our new switch, and still the iSO-CAT6 works in the position.

Thank you~

Best regards May

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I will be able to soon. Had everything ready. REF 10 warming up. Got the boards back from SOtM and no video. Power is good. Lights on the LAN but no video so don't know what's up. Need to send it back. More time and money... 

In the mean time I brought home a Manley Chinook phono pre to audition. Looking forward to that. 

you figured out the connector got damaged somehow.. so it would take extra time and money indeed.

Thank you.

Best regards, May

19 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Why wasn't the mobo tested more thoroughly before returning it to Johnseye?  Now he has to absorb the expense of returning it.

In my case, it took 3 tries to get a non-mobo OCX10 order correct, and I was expected to pay the return shipping cost of around $100 even though SOtM was in the wrong.  I also received their upgraded OCC copper DC cable for the sPS-500 that was dead out of the box.  

Someone else on the thread recently received a modded switch that didn't work.  That's not exactly rocket science for SOtM at this point.

How difficult is it to check a manifest to see if the products being shipped match the order?  Shouldn't the products be tested before they are shipped?  Why should the customer be expected to pay for SOtM's mistakes?

I have experienced a deterioration in service and sense a different tone now from when I first started buying products from them.

Sorry for the situaion being happend, but there seems extra explanation required for better understanding each other and it is not blaming to anyone, please don't argue about it. The test was done successffully, and we took video and pictures to make sure evertying works perfectly, and shared with Johnsesy, and indeed it worked perfectly fine but while assembling the board to the case, this connector got damaged, https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/hirose-electric-co-ltd/U.FL-R-SMT-1(01)/H122041-ND/3978494 so the connection can't be made flawlessly, and it is the reason the board would be back to us for the replacement.

Thank you.

Best regards, May

17 hours ago, Johnseye said:

This is the first issue I have ever had with any SOtM work, and I have had a lot done.  My last mobo modification was flawless.  Both May and Lee have been very easy to work with.  I have met both and they have been very accommodating to my needs.  May is an excellent communicator, making herself available through chat to quickly troubleshoot.  She promptly responds to all my communications.

We have identified what we believe to be the cause of the issue as a malfunctioning RF connector on the board.  The board was tested prior to shipment.  May even provided a video in addition to photos.  We don't know what could have caused the part to fail.  I will wait to make any judgement until the work is corrected, part replaced, I get it working in my system and hear the impact.

Yes, thank you for all your help May. The board and sCLK are being shipped today.

Just got this message, thank you Johnseys for your understanding.

Best regards, May