IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, hurka said:

BCED9A4B-3378-4179-A221-F908013A5C22.jpegWith gold plated plugs sound much better than crappy other one

Beautifully done! 

I would really appreciate it if you would provide the links for ordering the gold plated plugs, copper weave shield, and really cool looking outer cover.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Hi Guys, 

Those of you who are looking at Apacer industrial ECC RAM, make sure to order the brand new model with Samsung IC:

D31.23185S.001  DDR4 4GB ECC UDIMM 2666 CL19 WT

It's a clear step up from the previously available model. 

BTW - I'm in the process of setting up JPLAY / JCAT Club here at AS where I'll be talking about new exciting products. 

Best regards,
Marcin 

Is it a clear step up in technical specs only, or a clear step up in SQ?  If it’s a clear step up in SQ, is it as big a step up as from consumer grade memory to industrial grade memory? 

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Here's another glowing report on the Apacer ram.  Thanks, Nenon!  I purchased two 4GB sticks of non-ECC Apacer ram for my i7 DNBE NUC and two 8 GB sticks of ECC Apacer ram for my Asus B450m/Ryzen 2700 server.  I previously had Hyper X Fury ram in the NUC and Corsair Dominator Platinum in the server.  

I swapped out the ram in the NUC first and I had no idea it would make such a difference.  The improvements were pretty much as Bricki described above.  More air around instruments and voices, and just a general uptick in realism.  I waited a few days for it to settle in, then changed the ram in my server.  I really did not expect a difference on the server.  The Corsair Dominator Platinum ram has Samsung chips also.  What I got was more of the same, in fact there was a bigger improvement on the server than there was on the NUC.

This change was well worth it.  There was no wondering if I was imagining the change or not.  It came through loud and clear. 

Colin

Add me to the list of very pleased beneficiaries of having upgraded i7DNBE NUC ram from Hyper X Fury ram to Apacer ram.  Highly recommended. 

In your Asus B450m/Ryzen 2700 server ram upgrade, are you comparing Corsair Dominator Platinum ram non-ECC ram to ECC Apacer ram?

Wayne

• 1 month later...

I have been looking to buy a Buffalo GS-BS2016 but they are sold out everywhere I’ve checked.  Does anyone know where a couple of them can be found- new or used?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that a number of people's system configurations included a Arris SB8200 cable modem, so I replaced the one provided by my cable provider, and I got a very nice uptick in SQ.

Now I am considering an upgrade from the Netgear Nignthawk AC1900 that I have been using as my router for quite some time now.  I have noticed that a number of people's system configurations include an Edge router.  Can someone suggest which model of the Edge routers seems to provide the best SQ?   I do not need one with WiFi since I'm using an Eero system for that, but I could use one with at more than 4 ports.

Thanks

Thanks ray-dude, ASRMichael, and bodiebill.  That's just the kind of info I needed.

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, bit01 said:

Anyone heard from Ghent lately? Hope all is well with him (he has not responded to my inquiry for quite a while).

More than 20 yrs? ago I had a DAC (ARC DAC3) hooked up to a CD player (Revox 126). The setup was sensitive to the 'digital' cables  i tried. I ended up liking two of them for different reasons. Curiosity more than reason led me to try and combine them- and sure enough I liked the result. I remember thinking, it shouldn't be - but it was. I used something like these connectors to combine the two:

1pc Adapter RCA TV male plug to 2x RCA female jack T Splitter ...Monoprice BNC Male to RCA Female Adaptor - Gold Plated

I haven't been able to get in touch with GhentAudio lately either.  Does anybody have any news?  I too hope all is well with him.

4 minutes ago, str-1 said:

I just received some cables from Ghent following a few exchanges to discuss my requirements.  Replies were just as quick and helpful as they’ve always been.  Ordered cables 31st May with express delivery, told they were dispatched last Friday, delivered to me in London 11am Monday morning.

I placed an order May 8 and haven’t heard anything from them ever since.  I have emailed requests for tracking information but have not gotten any reply whatsoever.  I have made many purchases from them and recommend them to friends, and everything has always gone smoothy before, including special orders for combinations of connectors and cables not shown on their website.

• 1 month later...

What is the part number and source for the Evox cap?

Does the Evox cap not effect the voicing too?   I see SoTM uses them in this position sometimes, but I have never been able to find out the value they use and where to get them.  What value did you use and where did you get it? 

Thanks.  I haven't been able to find this type of Evox caps from my usual suppliers, only from FleaBay, where the ones I got look authentic, but are probably fakes.  Are these unobtanium?  

I have accounts with Mouser and DigiKey, but my searches didn't find these particular parts.  That's why I was asking for the part number you used and the where you found them.  Please advise.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Soul Analogue said:

Indeed on the buffalo, turning off the leds does sound substantially better than keeping them on...

much less harshness and having more clear and holographic image

so i purposely put a toggle switch to turn off the leds...

468886250_WhatsAppImage2021-03-03at10_09_01AM.thumb.jpeg.5f97e01df19f3b7308d49f36c808c5a2.jpeg

Very interesting!  Please provide a photo of the point in the circuitry where such an interrupter switch is connected.  Thanks!