austinpop

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Also if anybody is interested I could set up our sonicTranspoter i5 with a USB Ethernet port in bridged mode.

If you are interested in any of these solution click the contact us button at the bottom of our home page

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

I have only read this tread as far as here.

Is there any USB to Ethernet converter you recommend ?

Can you offer this modification done via TeamViewer ?

Or since we know that the SonicTransporter only can use one USB port anyway for storage, why not offer the solution by a firmware upgrade ?

Please take the time to give us a proper answer Andrew.

Bummer! In the end I gave away my Qnap-251 and built a LPS powered NAS machine for $300, running Linux, sans HDDs.

Anyway, just don't execute the ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 line.

Would not that Qnap be perfect as it has two rj45, and even the possibility to create a virtual switch ? (The HS-251 has)

A'm I missing something here ?

I tested it here and the performance of the USB Ethernet controller is not that great. Puts a high interrupt load on the sonicTransporter.

A better solution would be two built in Ethernet ports. I may look into offering something like that.

I suppose you will use the available mini pci-e slot for such a modification ?

So in theory an upgrade may be possible ?

For those struggling with their machines because of lack of dual native LAN ports or for those looking to start from scratch and are looking for a relatively inexpensive and simple solution to run Roon (and possibly HQP), this device might be an elegant solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-industrial-processor-wireless-Windows/dp/B01CQL9GKK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1484513553&sr=8-8&keywords=qotom+i7

This device is interesting to me because of a few features:

1. It utilizes an i7 4500U processor with a fairly .........

6. Incorporates 2 mini-PCIE slots which is huge for me because storage on the PCIE bus (whether it be OS or music storage) results in better SQ compared to SATA (possibly due to lower latency). Also, this obviates the need for expensive audiophile-grade SATA cables (which do make a difference with SATA drives). In my own listening comparisons, PCIE SSDs result in improved detail retrieval, greater immediacy and potentially less noise compared with a SATA SSD. Of course, SATA SSDs have the potential for greater capacity (which isn't a big deal for an OS drive).

Very interesting.

If mini PCIE slots makes better SQ, then there is also room for future improvement of the SonicTransporter as it at the present is using only one SATA interface for all its offered options.

Will be interesting to follow Andrew's product development, as I think we need the SonicOrbiter as well for the ultimate Roon server.

With Roon 1.3 I'm not sure if HQPlayer is that interesting any more.

You just need a device that can do the planned Roon DSD 512 up sampling as well.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

There is no hole in the case for another Ethernet port even if you had a PCIe card.

I would build a new unit with a different board and a new case.

I actually have one already. I put in a quad core i7 so you can use the new Roon up-sampling to it's full potential.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/custom-units/products/sonictransporter-i7-for-roon-1-3-dsp

-Andrew

Can we start a new thread and discuss new products and possible modifications of your existing one.

That link open up for some interesting questions.

Here is how I've done connection by using my Qnap. However I have no idea if this actually utilizes the suggested tweaks [emoji3]

The connected devices are a switch (of cause), MicroRendu, and a SonicTransporter i5.

IMG_0444.JPG

My only concern is that I'd have to give up Roon. Having to manage nearly 5k albums without Roon would be a real joy kill for me but I do like how you get Tidal and Spotify access + CD

Not sure if I'm pointing you inn the right direction, but you know about ROCK ?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-optimized-core-kit-previously-reported-as-roon-os/14175/191?u=r1200cl

Can someone tell me what AO is ?

Yes, I'm interested to hear how ROCK sounds. Unfortunately, it doesn't lend itself to end-user tweaking and so you can't bridge your LAN ports within ROCK.

I'm thinking if several people ask the Roon developers, they may add such an option in the web interface.

Also I haven't checked if NUC's has dual RJ45. Which I suppose is a must, unless a USB to Ethernet dongle is a good working solution.

It supports thunderbolt.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/rock-what-linux-distribution-answered-there-is-no-3rd-party-os/21613

https://ark.intel.com/products/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

The guy respond is not part of Roon team, I think Roon will listen to reasonable requests.

But yes, only NUC. So soon there will be Sonore or others making NUC's with better PS, clocks or whatever [emoji3]

(As intel sells NUC oem boards).

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

So now I get it. To build a good audio PC, take everything you know about building a modern gaming PC and do the opposite. High resolution display ... bad. NVMe PCIe SSD ... bad. Tons of fast memory ... bad. OK, I'm kidding you guys but really it's kind of funny.

So now we only need Asus or any another manufacturer to build such a motherboard [emoji3]

I wonder what the minimum number of estimated sale would be for them to consider ?

And what would such a number be ?

(Which would depend on price)

I would love to be part of something like this. Perhaps we create a wish list, present it to someone like Asus, and organize a group buy where they will be guaranteed a certain minimum volume of sales! This now happens all the time.

It's worth trying. Maybe John Swenson can help us with specifications ?

Can you start a tread ?

You seems to have a good overview already [emoji3]

On 17.3.2017 at 10:56 PM, lmitche said:

Well the 3.5 HDD just sounds better. First they run off the 12 volt bus away from the USB 5 volt power. Second they are much quieter electrically. My jaw hit the ground when I first heard my machine without an SSD.

But if one power the SSD separately  with an LPS-1, shouldn't that be the best solution ?

Have you or anyone tried ?

I'm wonder if HD/SSD Regen will be an upcoming product ?

26 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I replaced an lps-1 powered SSD with the HDD prior to the jaw drop.

Oh, I suppose a technical explanation is hard give. Maybe John can help ?

The SSD a Samsung EVO 850 ? And the HD ?

On 4.5.2017 at 5:58 PM, seeteeyou said:

I dunno where to put this but many of us should be interested in replacing DC cables with even better ones

FYI - recently there's yet another audiophile DC plug available in Taiwan

They should be able to ship internationally and here are their contacts

http://www.atl-newcablestudio.com/Contact.html

DC plugs from Oyaide are only good for bulk wires with 6.3mm diameter or below, however ATL ones are good for anything up to 8mm. Basically that's good for CrystalPower Special and the genuine bulk wires are available in Hong Kong as well as China

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=23058296058

http://www.audiofile.nl/sites/default/files/2014-07-01 R6 Crystal Cable Retail Pricelist.pdf#page=3

Of course we could also find a reputable seller on Audiogon etc. and then get one of those genuine Crystal Cables Power cables for cheap, then we could simply replace the IEC plugs on both ends with DC plugs accordingly.

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc01.html

Several versions available. 

3 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

This is interesting.  Since this is the clock in the ISO Regen and SU-1/I2S.  Although I've never heard someone express the SU-1 I2S as being bright and harsh.  Good power supplies can go a long ways also.  Guess will find out soon how the ISO Regen performs with this clock.

No it's not ISO regen use Crystek CCHD-575

I have a hiFace EVO. Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the clocks ? 

Or any other modification ?

On 27.6.2017 at 1:48 AM, greenleo said:

Too bad that LPS-1 cannot be used.

Be patient, and you can even use two of them;

6 hours ago, austinpop said:
  • Once again, a component is more that just the clock. Clearly, DDCs are not created equal, and the SU-1 shines.
  • I was really impressed with the SU-1. 

Think how interesting this will be when John's new DCC will be available ???

(...that is if he is doing one...)

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I wondered about contacting Tim at Kitsune given they already offer a modded version of the SU-1 to see if this was something they might consider.

I've asked him some time ago, and the answer was very negativ. 

I think you will have to ask Singxer.

Actually I've asked Ghent if he could do a deal with them ?

Just now, greenleo said:

Still cannot because 1.5A output is needed.

Well we don't know the power requirement of UpTone audiophile switch yet. Nor if they actually will make one.