IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Another point...

While this cable is nominally a quad core having 4 conductors, the fact that they are individually shield would seem to obviate whatever positive attributes are ascribed to the "quad core" construction.

Actually, the shielding doesn't cover all effects.  Star quad still benefits in rejecting magnetic interference beyond what shields can do, or so says Benchmark: 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/116637511-the-importance-of-star-quad-microphone-cable

Quote: 

ELECTROSTATIC SHIELDS DO NOT BLOCK MAGNETIC FIELDS

There are a variety of different balanced microphone cables on the market. All microphone cables are designed to provide shielding against radio-frequency (RF) interference. The conductors are twisted and then wrapped with foil, a spiral of copper wires, or with a full copper braid. Of these, the braided shield is the most effective against electrostatic RF fields. However, none of these electrostatic shields are effective against magnetic interference. They are not magnetic shields!

Foil or copper shields cannot block the magnetic interference produced by devices that are relatively close to the cable. Magnetic fields easily flow through foil and copper shields causing interference.

STAR-QUAD CABLES PROVIDE MAGNETIC IMMUNITY

• 7 months later...

For those who have been playing with the Buffalo switches, has anyone compared a set of two Buffalos vs just one Buffalo daisy chained via fiber with an EtherRegen?  I have a BS-GS2008 that sounds really good replacing a low cost (John Swenson recommended) Cisco switch (properly grounded to shunt high impedance noise) in between modem/router and endpoint, and I'm thinking of taking the plunge to a double-switch solution.  I'm just trying to decide between the two sets of options above. 

I would have one of the switches powered by an LPS 1.2, and the other powered by a Vinnie Rossi ultracap supply.  Modem/router would be powered by an HDPlex LPS with a MP Audio MD-HPULN PS to lower its noise.  And this may become a Ubiquiti router and wifi access point setup once I have the switches and power supplies all dialed in.

Also, I have seen the comments about the benefits of powering the Buffalos at 10V rather than 12V.  Has anyone compared 9V to 10V?  The LPS 1.2's are capable of 9V or 12V, but not 10V.  Just curious if the 9V would be as good as 10V or if 10V is the best of all.  I have not yet tried 9V from the LPS 1.2 powering my Buffalo 2008, so I should probably do that.

Right now, the UltraRendu and single Buffalo are both powered by LPS 1.2 and my stock modem/router is powered by the Vinnie Rossi, so my network is 100% powered by isolated ultracap supplies already.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.