IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Greetings, chauphuong,

On my modified sCLK-EX NUC, I have one 5V 2.5" 5TB HDD connected via SATA II to the mobo.  The HDD is powered separately via LPS-1 and is encased outside the NUC, SATA cable is an older PPA version.  Both OS and DATA reside on this HDD via partition.  OS is Windows 10 PRO, DIY optimized, use JRiver 23 64bit. 

If you have more than one SATA port on the mobo, repeat with another HDD for data only.

As far as NAS, you might want to look at Romaz build towards the end of this thread.  I have never used, or found the need, for a NAS.

There are other alternatives suggested by Romaz using a sCLK-EX modified PCIe card the tXUSBexp.  And another if you read his recent posting about his latest sCLK-EX server build.

Hi ElviaCaprice,

I've been following some of your posts and am considering modifying a NUC.  One of your previous posts mentioned discussing with May at Sotm whether it was possible to use a Sata 2 cable to connect to the Sata 3 Mobo; I assume so you could use their Sata 2 filter.  Is this what you have done?

Regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, sig8 said:

So am I correct in assuming that tx-USBexp is installed in one of PCIe slot of your PC, but if that is the case then why not connect DAC directly to this? Why go to tx-USBhubIN, and then connect DAC to that? Thanks.

Looks like Alan is using Tx HubIn to duplicate filtering and clocking to improve the result.  Seem like a lost opportunity to not have reclocked the Mobo though.  Romaz used same components but different implementation.  He had storage to TxHubIn to Mobo to TX Exp to Dac.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a word of caution here.  Small, heavily customised projects generally end up costing a similar amount to commercial off the shelf options; those also have the added benefit of better re sale.  Roy (romaz) did not find much difference in sound between his own customised effort and the Innous Zenith.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

In all honesty, unless your a mobile nut, you would be far better off with separate DAC's for desktop and mobile.  You would tire of the constant switching out of the Hugo 2 from desktop to mobile.  Also it's not so mobile as you think, as far as size and weight, more like semi mobile, car fine.  Also, you would be worried of theft with the Hugo 2 mobile.  

If I we're you, I would have a try out, loaner, Qutest vs. Holo Spring for desktop.  For mobile, go low end for ease of use.

Didn't Holo come out with some other DAC's that do DSD and PCM only separate?

Also a mini mscaler is in the works. 

Music to my ears; the mini M Scaler part.  Is this speculation, wishful thinking or have you seen evidence from Chord that this is happening?

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I have been thinking for some time now too.  Should it not be asked of SOTM, why they don't offer a TX USB with a direct connected 10MHz clock to the card rather than selling expensive upgrade clocks, making the previous ones redundant and adding more and more boxes and cables?

Martin.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the Gotham site, I'm wondering whether the Gac 4/1 Road may give a similar benefit to the Pro.  Road is smaller diameter, almost same size conductors, has polyurethane coating, fewer shields so easier to dress and much cheaper.

Martin.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Beautiful work!  Really nice job squeezing everything into that Takachi case.  Did you have someone local do the mill work for you?

Can you tell us what is housed in the various sections?

Hi Alex,

I thought you would find the case familiar.  Being a one - off, all case mods have been hand drilled, tapped, cut, filed.  The dimensional constraints on the power side come about from the case's previous use to house two LPS1s and a SMPS.  The section with USB cables houses a Sotm Tx USB hub ex and a Iso Regen.  The power side houses three Studer 900 regulated power supplies, each further regulated by Ldover LT3045 boards.  Each supply has its own 30VA Toroidy transformer mounted through the case top lid.

Martin.

3 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Is it better then the sigma 11?

Sorry, haven't tried Sigma 11 but for the cost of the board, a very cheap experiment.  I found voltage requirements to be similar to Sigma 11, about 7V drop for regulation.  Also the board takes less space and has two supplies per board.

Martin.

13 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

Lol,

Yes, I have gone to considerable time and effort because I think the result is worthwhile and I recommend it.  The vendor says a max of 2A.  The max I have used is 17V and 1A.  If your power requirements are in this range, something you may consider.  Having seen your previous threads and posts, I would suggest your best bet is to go for something boxed and ready to go.

Martin.

6 hours ago, mormogi said:

studer warmer , little colored ,syrupy,more micro details.

only lt3045's like hpuln great step forward but more expensive.  

Hi mormogi,

As you are already familiar with the Studer, I'd recommend further improvement can be had by changing out the large capacitor to one of higher performance; I used a Kemet peh200.

Martin.

11 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Did you click on the link to show the item I was referring to?

I just wondered because PeterSt said that all chinese PSU's are junk and will destroy the rest of your gear? I presume that studer900 is chinese?

Hi Doc,

No I didn't click the link so misinterpreted your question,; apologies.  If you Google Studer900 power supply, down the list there is a review of a complete supply with the board enclosed on the 'Audio Asylum ' forum.  It discuses the merits and failings of the supply.

Martin