IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 minutes ago, welldone said:

I'm intending to buy a new HDplex 200 to feed 2 Lps1 (1 for SMS200, 1 for TX-USB Ultra). Is that a good idea? Please give your recommendation. Thanks.

After the first 250 LPS-1.2 orders are shipped, we will begin offering our 7.5V/4.8A/36W adapter separately for $15 to those who want one.  Until then, there is a CUI brand 12V/2.5A/30W unit available in the US from DigiKey and other distributors (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=102-4104-ND.  This is one that I personally confirmed connects AC ground to DC output "ground." 

Hope this helps.

--Alex C.

I recently purchased and received the CUI supply that Alex mentioned above and the results have been fantastic. I am powering two LPS-1's, which in turn are powering my sMS-200 and HDTA Serenade Pro Dac respectively. My system has never sounded better and they were only $17 each. UpTone will be offering a similar item in the future. FYI!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, manishex said:

Any recommendations on what to upgrade that lps-1 meanwell SMPS to? 

Having checked a bunch of Mean Well units, including a couple of the their "medical" ones, I can tell you that the odds of the one you are looking at being designed with its DC zero-volt output "ground" common to the AC inlet ground are very slim.  For whatever reason, Mean Well does not seem to do this with any of their units.  I tried for months to get an answer from the factory about this--and to get them to make us 1,000 units with the change--and got nowhere.  That's why we moved to a different supplier for the LPS-1.2 charger.  Even then, the shunting is not something that is found in the spec sheets--we had to buy lots of samples to find one.

After the first 250 LPS-1.2 orders are shipped, we will begin offering our 7.5V/4.8A/36W adapter separately for $15 to those who want one.  Until then, there is a CUI brand 12V/2.5A/30W unit available in the US from DigiKey and other distributors (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=102-4104-ND.  This is one that I personally confirmed connects AC ground to DC output "ground." 

Hope this helps.

--Alex C.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Anyone else powered their DSL router using a linear power supply?  I am also wondering what effect it might have if it's so far downstream...  

I am using the "El Cheapo" to power my Actiontec C1000A for Century Link, working and sounding excellent.