IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Larry, I am using the pico-itx in replacement.  Obviously minus the three other clocks on the sclk ex.

1503163908177-1236906178.jpg

1503163976301675051539.jpg

I must say, the s-clk ex (2nd photo) is the key to the magic of the txbexp pcie card (1st photo)

To me this is very interesting, it seems like the ( s-clk ex clocked) txbexp card is an improvement, even though it is earlier in the signal path than the iso regen ... ?

4 hours ago, oilpaint said:

I thought this post would be helpful to those people who lurk on CS but don’t have the full grasp of all the issues and terms discussed here (that would be me). My system had evolved over the years to include the following MacBook Air - SOtM 200Ultra Neo - SOtM tX USBultra - Mutec MC3+USB - Devialet 1000 - Magico S3s with a Mutec REF-10 clocking the 200, tX, and MC3. Sounded great - but what a lot of boxes and cables!

Always looking for better sound, I had been following discussions about the dCS NETWORK BRIDGE and arraigned to demo one in my system. I also starting following the NUC thread here on CS. I am not a computer person so much of the discussion was over my head and, quite frankly, confusing - Linux, BIOS, Commands, etc. Much of it seemed to be for the CS DIY crowd - which I am definitely not a member of. But, I was intrigued because the sound quality was supposed to be great (hold on, here I go again..). So, I kept an eye on the discussion while I awaited the NETWORK BRIDGE demo.

In the meantime, I read of lmitche’s service (NUCkleadaudio.com) to build NUCs for computer-challenged folks. Still not fully understanding what a NUC is and what it does I contacted NUCklehead, explained my system, indicated I was about to demo a NB, and asked what NUCklehead could offer instead. Larry got back to me right away. After multiple emails - mostly me asking questions about how a NUC would work for me based on the way I listen to music and Larry responding and saying “keep the questions coming” - I decided to go for it. Basically, in my system, it would replace the SOtM 200Ultra, and if it really sounded great, maybe a few other boxes???

Ten days later (and before the NETWORK BRIDGE demo) Larry actually hand delivered a NUC to my house (not sure he does this all over the world...). It requires a power supply so I used the SR4 that was previously powering the SOtM 200. The first time you power up the NUC you insert a USB stick - either one for ROON (if I am only listening to ROON) or one for NAA (if I am listening to HQP through ROON). After a couple of minutes - the NUC shows up as a Zone in ROON - and you are good to go.

My word it sounded great. "Clearness', 'Bigness', come to mind (if those are musical terms) - in particular, voices and the bass were outstanding - and this was all with only the NUC in play - an ethernet cable into the NUC and a USB cable out to the Devialet. His work done, Larry got back on his magic carpet and left - and I continued to listen and enjoy the music.

The next day I decided to put the other components (tX-USB, MC3, and REF-10) back in to the chain. I found it sounded great (as in the same with just the NUC) which made me think the NUC was really bringing something different to the system. So, one by one I removed the other components. Still the same great sound. So, as near as I can tell I have improved the sound and I have removed the following from my system:

SOtM tX-USBUltra (with Master Clock input)

SOtM 500 Power Supply

SOtM 500 Power Cable

SOtM 500 DC Silver Power Cable

1 USB Cable

1 BNC Master Clock Cable

Mutec MC3+USB (with Master Clock input)

Mutec MC3+USB Power Cable

XLR Cable

1 BNC Master Clock Cable

Mutec REF-10

Mutec REF-10 Power Cable

1 BNC Master Clock Cable (had gone to the 200Ultra)

I am very happy with the sound quality first, and second, the simplification of the system. So much so that I asked Larry to build me a NUC Server that has now replaced my laptop - once again with a bump up in sound quality. The Server concerned me a bit because it is 'headless' but so far - no issues.

This is what I have in place now:

NUC End Point (replaced the SOtM 200Ultra)

1.9-4.2Ghz Turbo Intel Core i7-865OU Quad-Core Processor/motherboard

4 Gb low latency ram

Akasa X7D Fanless Case

Audiolinux Headless Ramboot installed with NAA

NUC Server (replaced my laptop)

1.9-4.2Ghz Turbo Intel Core i7-865OU Quad-Core Processor/motherboard

8 Gb low latency ram

32 Gb Optane SSD

Akasa X7D Fanless Case

To be clear, I have no relationship with Larry - just a very satisfied customer. I can't say enough about his responsiveness and level of service. For example, early on I had 5 HDMI zones showing up as ROON Zones. I mentioned it to him and he Team Viewer-ed into my system and made them go away. Poof! At another point he emailed me he thought he found a setting in the BIOS that should be changed. So he called in and talked me through the change in the BIOS - who knew I would be (or should be) mucking about with the BIOS???

I am very happy with the NUC sound quality and simplification to my system. I cannot think of any other tweak that improved the sound as much as this move. It’s interesting - I started years ago simply with a laptop to mRendu to Devialet and I am kind of back there - but with a massive sound improvement.

Never did have that dCS NETWORK BRIDGE demo….

Dan

Dan, Thanks... this is a very interesting point of reference..

Quick question..... What is the OS on the NUC Server?

• 1 month later...

Maybe this storage performance problem is related to the software involved.

In my recent experience:

StarTech 2-Port USB3.1 (10Gbps) Card with 2x USB-A PCIe Interface