IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I have the same issue with Roon and my MicroRendu plus Windows 10 in bridged mode. I have reported on the CA Roon-forum. There are some people on the Roon-forum reporting the same problem. it has to do with the new 234 Roon build. I deistalled Roon and did a clean istall without upgrading to the new 234 build. 

On Roon they haven´t detect the exact problem yet but they assume that it has to do with the bridged mode.

I would like to ask if there are people on this forum which have upgraded to build 234 with their PC in bridged mode and don´t have issues.

Tom75, after reading your post again I am not sure anymore if your issue is the same as mine. Roon stops playing after 2 seconds and is skipping to the next song and saying "a music file is loading slowly" or "network or connectivity problem". But it´s not about Tidal.

Thank you, austinpop, I may try that in the future. Yes, I run Windows 10 from a "Silent-PC" with two ethernet ports. The thing that surprises me is that everything worked fine before I updated to build 234. At the moment I just use the older Roon version. That is the easiest way.

Somebody who knows if it is possible to order the SOtM tX-USBultra with upgrade path (reclocked switch)? I just can see the upgrade path for the sMS-200ultra. My plan is to upgrade my mRendu (when the upgrade becomes available) and to go with reclocked switch>mRendu>Iso Regen>SOtM tX-USBultra.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I cannot shake off the feeling that the first clock is most important one. This means for cloud content like Tidal the router should be the main target and for NAS content the clock closest to the NAS is where the main efforts should be made. I cannot imagine several clocks would make a difference for the better. One clock rules them all.

In my setup with Tidal as the only source the Aqvox switch-8 have the best clock and it made a truly great improvement. When @mozes used the same switch it did'nt improve much for his NAS content. Make sence to me to improve the first clock and just make sure that the remaining clocks is'nt too bad so it will fuck up the chain.

I am not so sure about that. I also own the Aqvox switch and like it quite much. But the Iso Regen gave a massive improvement in my chain despite that (more so than the Aqvox switch). Ordered a tX-USBUltra and one more LPS-1 today. And will get the V1.4 update for my MicroRendu (probably in august). Will see if many good clocks will make a difference.

My chain with bridged connection will be > Aqvox switch > MicroRendu V1.4 > USPCB > Iso Regen > USPCB > tX-USBUltra > JCAT USB cable > Chord Dave

I was first thinking about selling my MicroRendu and getting the SMS-200 Ultra instead of the tx-USBUltra but I haven´t done that for some reasons:

- it will be hard to sell the MicroRendu at a good price at the moment

- the tx-USBUltra is more flexible than the SMS-200 Ultra if I in the future should decide to go the USB-path

- I suppose the MicroRendu will give me a more meaty sound and it will be a good balance in the chain with the IR and the tx-USBUltra

At the same time I think it was a bit crazy to order the tx-USB Ultra with the LPS-1. After changing the sound filters in Audiophile optimizer to 1C to get more details, my chain with the Iso Regen already sounds fantastic. But you will get a bit crazy after reading the whole thread.

And just while I was writing this I get a notice that the ultraRendu is about to hit the market very soon. You never know if you do right...

@Cornan

I get some content via the SDcard of my "silent PC" and some via Tidal. One never know why the Iso Regen sounds so good. Because of the massive improvement I suppose it even has to do with its clock. I hope I will know more when I get the tx USBultra.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to mix to get the best of two worlds:

Silent PC in bridged mode > Supra Cat 8 cable > Aqvox switch > Sablon Cat cable > MicroRendu (to be upgraded to 1.4) > USPCB > Iso Regen > USPCB > tx USBUltra > Curious USB > Chord Dave > Focal Utopia, HE-1000 V1 headphones

As to mix different grapes to get a well balanced wine. I got a fleshy but at the same time airy sound with huuuge soundstage. I hope I will get yet more details with the 1.4 upgrade of the MicroRendu.

4 hours ago, hols said:

But in my system it still gives me a too full bodied sound so much so that the violins are too heavy to make it fly. The character of the violin moves more towards the mid range. the silky violin is no longer evident. The character of the cello also moves more towards mid range rather than the mid bass range. The layering of the soundstage is not as good as before. In other words the transparency is not as good as before.

@hols, I think this is an important observation. When I included the Iso Regen in my chain - it sounded better to me in nearly every aspect. And I still think that the IR(+USPCB!) is one of my best hifi-purchases I ever made. But I admit that it caused some change in the tonality of my system. I got much more bass (more quantity and definition) and that made my system sound darker.

In contrast to you I think I got more transparency and details due to the IR but with certain music the midrange and the bass could sound too thick (with the result that it got harder to hear treble detail). It became much better when I integrated a tx-USBUltra in my chain - behind the IR, and I hope to get the sound yet more transparent and detailed by getting the microRendu 1.4 upgrade. The tx-USBUltra (after long burn in) added more air and transparency. I think I would have missed that in the long term.

With other words - and as we all know - it is the whole chain that matters. And a mix of Sonore, Uptone and SoTM products should be taken into account (even if some SotM-products are for expensive compared to what a much cheaper IR can add to your system).

I own a Cybershaft OP13 which specifications are just a tad from the OP14 specifications. The sound with the tx-USBultra (to Chord DAVE) is fantastic. The Cybershaft clock elevated my system more than my tx-USBultra did (and I really like the effect of the ultra). I am more than satisfied with the Cybershaft clock. No need for the really expensive SOTM clock.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the user experience with the NUC dual setup and AL. If I want to shut down the NUCs or reboot them. How long does it take to actually get them playing music? With a Zenith SE everyting is very comfortable. What will be the difference? Using extreme mode - is there a possibility to have som kind of energy saving mode while not using the NUCs?

5 hours ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop and I tested his NUC versus my ZENith SE.  In blind testing, he picked the ZENith.  However, the NUC was not on the Synergistic Research Tranquility UEF base.

Can you please give more details! jean-michel6 already asked some important questions. When did you make the test? Was it with the new 1.41 firmware of the Zenith?

4 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

This all lead to me buying a digitally orientated system which comprised speakers, amplifiers and DAC and an Innuos Zenith MkII SE.  

Thanks for the nice report! Have you tried the new experimental feature in the new Zenith firmware? This would be another significant upgrade - even if it´s not completely stable. Another step could be to replace the fuse of the Zenith.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Given that ECC is unsupported in the PJYH NUC (Pentium J5005 officieally doesn't support ECC) yet is still reported to work, has anyone tried ECC in DNHE NUC?

I am wondering which is of most benefit - ECC, Wide Temperature or both?

What is your source that ECC work with a PJYH NUC?