IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, lmitche said:

If only things were so simple.

My head hurts when I think of the permutations of upsampling, power supply quality, galvanic isolation, protocol and format conversions, current demand, OSes and playback software configurations, network devices . . . UGH!

I agree that the complexity and concomitant headaches can definitely be overwhelming. For that reason, I decided to reach out to Nenon regarding commissioning a build, but he couldn't take one on. However, he's been extremely generous in offering advise on picking out a power supply and parts for my build. I'm actually replicating the AMD build posted above, but I believe my LPS configuration will be different from his, and I'll be rolling without the Ultra OCXO for the USB and motherboard until a later time when everything is burned in and I can ascertain the degree to which the clocks benefit the system.

I'll also be using a Seasonic Titanium ATX 750W power supply while I wait for the Sean Jacobs DC4 to be completed and shipped over the pond. Here again, I'll get to see what it brings to the table - not that I doubt it at all.

Nenon was gracious enough to accept a commission on building some of the cabling for my project, and I'm eternally grateful. 

Based on my experience regarding power supplies - in the past I've used a JS-2 powering LPS 1s, then LPS 1.2s, and then Sonore Signature LPS, and currently I have 3 Farad Super 3s in my system. They power UltraRendu, etherRegen, and Orbi Satellite. Based on these progressive LPS introductions into my system, I am of the mindset that the LPS is paramount to the sonics of any build. Start from there and everything else falls into place.

18 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

What made you decide on this Seasonic?  Has there been a consensus on it being the best sounding, mass market PC designed power supply?

Not really. Mainly because it's fanless and, therefore, quiet. I've also seen it mentioned here in the forums. I'm basically only using it to tide me over while I wait for the SJ DC4. 

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Is this the PSU you were referring to?

Seasonic PRIME-FANLESS-TX-700

Sorry, allow me to correct myself. I got the Prime Titanium 750W, but it is not fanless. It has a hybrid mode, that keeps the fan off until it hits somewhere close to 70% of a temperature threshold. I was initially going to go with the full fanless option but decided against it because once the DC4 LPS arrives, I would like to be able to replace the 7 year old noisy Corsair in my workstation where I do a bit of gaming with the Seasonic.

If this was to have been a permanent power solution for my build, I would have gone completely fanless. Apologies for the confusion.

In the attached image you can see the hybrid switch for the power supply.

IMG_20200422_125251.jpg

On 1/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, bodiebill said:

No, for the server I only use the Seasonic. This is a regular (nonlinear) power supply, but high quality with low ripple and voltage variance.

I wouldn't know how to let the Seasonic power the HDPlex as the latter needs 19V and the Seasonic only delivers 12V and downwards. 

For SQ I slightly preferred the Seasonic but the difference was hardly noticeable -- perhaps even imaginary. What I do know is that I did not like the extreme heat of the 200W HDPlex.

This must be what drew me to the Seasonic as a decent regular ATX supply.

• 2 months later...

@kennyb123I'm assuming the SFP modules being used in your chain are transferring the signal from a network device towards your endpoint/DAC. Could you please clarify whether this is the case? I'm my situation I use the fiber SFP from my router to the rest of my network to isolate my music from the network and I'm wondering if different SFP modules will make a noticeable difference when the fiber connection isn't used for the audio signal chain.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, austinpop said:

Part of the point of going to the Extreme is to leverage Emile’s tuning and optimizations, so I don’t  see this box as a test bed for experiments like I would a DIY server! So no, I haven’t tried the JCAT Net Card Femto.

One of the reasons for the minimal network penalty during local playback is that Emile has tuned the driver settings on the Ethernet adapter to achieve this. I risk losing this by going to another card.

As for trying the Fiber NIC on the Extreme, yes I did compare early on and preferred my fiber further upstream. :) I’ve found Emile’s advice of using fiber on at least one leg of the chain to be very sound.

Speaking of fiber, rumor has it that the Finisar SFPs are better than the Planet Techs. Any intention to give them a shot?

On 6/29/2020 at 6:22 AM, John769 said:

The other version, praised on WBF, was FTLF1324P2BTL-MC LW?

There are currently refurbished ones going for less than 8 euros on ebay (EU), if anyone wants to try.  

I just bought a pair of new FTLX1471D3BCV 10GB/1GB for even less than that, just to compare. 

It's hard to keep up 🙃 

I may have missed it, but have you done this comparison yet? 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Just installed the 1321's over the 1324's I had and I would say, without doing A/B the top end is less harsh. Playing violins now and sounds great. Perhaps a bit less detail but seemingly a bit more musical and less in your face. They'll stay in place. 

Thanks for the update. Kindly provide more impressions as you get a better handle on what's going on.