IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

32 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well if you guys really want an LPS (to energize your UltraCap LPS-1s)... the JS-2 can produce 7.2 amps at 12V all day long, you could set both outputs to 12V, use 2 'Y' cables, and power 4 LPS-1s.  

My assistant just finished building another 14 units.  I'll be testing/burning in over the weekend, yet only 11 of the 14 are pre-sold and slated for shipment on Tuesday.  Are you tempted Rajiv? B|

Sounds to me like what we need is an UltraCap JS-4 that employs all the fancy tricks of both in a single box with 4 outputs... for the best of the best of the best!

8 hours ago, sadekkhalifa said:

Does anyone have any idea about the following Streamer 

http://www.lessloss.com/laminar-streamer-sd-player-p-207.html

it costs 91,181$ O.o

Sounds like they wrote a real-time operating system to handle playback concerns and clocked it off of the audio sample rate, which probably why it taps out at 192kHz PCM rather than stepping into the wild-and-crazy realm of DSD.  (Not that modern CPUs lack the frequencies required).

This is not as novel as they try to make it sound (e.g., check out ARTOS from 1994:  http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=6374 ).

Either way, it is probably off-topic. ;-)

P.S. Real-time Operating Systems are a pretty foreign concept to most . You can read a bit about them and how they differ from general-purpose systems like Windows, OSX, and Linux here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3938/en/

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

@romaz wrote:

Can someone explain how I might apply this to my situation?  My HMS and TT2 are both powered by PowerAdd batteries running at 12V.  These devices prefer 15v. It sounds like Romaz is saying that I would just need to feed the dual stage regulation model with 20V from the battery - though I assume I’d need to order it configured to output 15V.  Do I have that right?

Also why the dual regulation model with a battery?  Is this necessary because the battery is unregulated?  Should their single stage regulation model be powered only with a regulated supply?

Great questions. In addition, I'm hoping @romaz or @seeteeyou can shed some light on the purpose of the "Pre-Regulator Out" setting on the DSC model...

Is it better to set both the pre-regulator out and the output voltage to the same value, or should the pre-regulator out be higher / lower by some factor to achieve the best result?  What's the rationale behind the selection?

Thanks!

1227876611_whatsthis.thumb.png.cb409604f843387aa5e0b471e96c6d7d.png

On 12/16/2019 at 11:32 PM, seeteeyou said:

Let's say the "final destination" requires 5V / 1.5A (e.g. JCAT NET Card FEMTO) while we're choosing PP2 with 9V output, "Pre-Regulator Output" could be 7V while "Output Voltage" must be 5.0V accordingly. Each stage of regulation requires the same -2V increment, the 1st stage is going from 9V to 7V while the 2nd stage is going from 7V to 5V respectively.

That's pretty much how we're getting one of those DR (double-regulated) rails in order to maximize PSRR as explained above.

Thanks, @seeteeyou! I'm curious, earlier up you said:

In theory we could also pay more for DXP-1A5DSC so that we're getting a double-regulated rail from 16V to 15.5V, and then 15.5V to 15V. That -0.5V increment is the bare minimum for LT3045 and that's why we better check with @[email protected] just in case he might be aware of any potential issues.

I'm scratching my head a little about the difference between the -0.5V and the -2.0V. That's a big swing.

I'm looking to shore up the power for a Chord Qutest with one of these. At present it's receiving 5V 1A on the supply side (via an LHLabs LPS4 Linear PSU), and there's an ISO REGEN on the data side being fed at 7V by an UltraCap LPS-1.2.

Looks like both of these regulating supplies top out at 1.5A, and the LPS-1.2 outputs 1.1A, so in theory I could add extra regulation to both of ends... (though I'm inclined to wonder just how much extra regulation either of these supplies need, if any).

Thanks for the clarification, @elan120!  Looks like the graphs you found stop short of the actual amperage requirements (although one could extrapolate). Assuming each device is consuming ~1A, and there are three of these in parallel on each board, then it stands to reason that we'd be looking at ~330-350mA per IC, or 250mV typical drop-out voltage at 125C which is crazy hot. I'd much rather see temps peaking at 40-50C on my "warm" electronics (but 25C is way better if ambient temperatures and passive dissipation will allow for it). That's closer to 220mV dropout... which maps to the blue line on the left graph and the green line on the right graph.

Am I reading that right?