IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:17 AM, bodiebill said:

For some time my setup has been:

modem/router => MikroTik SFP switch => fiber => Intel fiber NIC => server PC with HQPe

same MikroTik => fiber => Intel fiber NIC => audio PC with NAA

The last few weeks, after changing to a Denafrips Terminator DAC, many things improved, but I was not totally happy with the sound for classical music. High strings were a little thin and strident.

Inspired by this thread I changed the setup to:

modem/router => MikroTik SFP switch => fiber => Intel fiber NIC => server PC with HQPe

modem/router => copper ethernet => audio PC with NAA

and I like that better. Strings are fuller. The bloom is back.

I do not think it is the fiber as such but maybe the Intel fiber NIC in the audio PC is adding noise/jitter?

I could go all-copper, but maybe keeping the fiber upstream to isolate the audio system from the rest of the house is better? Like in:

modem/router => MikroTik SFP switch => fiber => Intel fiber NIC => server PC with HQPe

MikroTik => fiber => 2nd MikroTik => copper ethernet => audio PC with NAA

Any ideas?

(PS I just ordered a Cisco 2960G-24TC-L to experiment with.)

I've been using a very similar setup to your last model :

Mac Mini => Mikrotik RB260GSP => Mikrotik fiber => Mikrotik RB260GSP => Cat6A copper => SOtM SMS-200 => SOtM tX-USBHub => DAC

Each of these devices are plugged to LPS.

The Cat6A copper is a deliberate choice : the one sounding best.

On the 2nd Mikrotik switch the Sotm is the only device plugged in ethernet.

I wouldn't comment on the sound because the DAC and amp and speakers are doing a lot after this chain of devices.

All I can say is this is the best SQ I've managed to get, and I like it very very very much : it is natural, full, and brings a lot of joy in my home.

My 2cts advice : try, try and try again, change your cables, change the order of your installation, etc. not only it is fun to try new ideas, it provides a better understanding or control of your audio installation. :) 

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, BigAlMc said:

IKEA just refunded me for two of these, ordered on the 6th of July but now mysteriously out of stock 🙄

Mysterious my ass, I blame you lot!! And Mr Darko!

Worse still I mentioned to my girlfriend and she now wants two for the kitchen and you know, food duties 🤔

Cheers,

Alan

You can grab some here in Paris : there is an IKEA shop in the city center (direct subway line from my home !!!! )
I use this one upside down with rubber feet under it : https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/p/laemplig-planche-a-decouper-00394380/

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2