IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Instead of Rufus I would recommend Etcher. Nothing else to do but chosing the Audiolinux image.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rickca said:

On a Windows 10 system, I downloaded the .gz file, extracted the .img file using 7-zip, then used etcher (which is dead simple) to put the .img file on the flash drive.

No need to extract the .img file. Etcher does accept the .gz file. Makes it even more dead simple. ?

Important is to have a clean USB flash drive.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

BBB is for the Beaglebone Black, you need the headless version for the NUC. The LXQT version (with GUI) is included in the $ 49.

16 minutes ago, Iving said:

OP also says , " If anyone ... attacks people ..."

1. Anyone interested to venture into NUC/AL will read avidly here, finding Windows comparisons highly relevant.

2. The "shootout" link looks relevant enough to me: much of what ostensibly accounts for SQ here is AL vs. Windows.

Why neg on Keetakawee/Fidelizer (not that I have it) if you are secure enough in your convictions re NUC/AL?

It's just an OT conversation, right?

to 1. I find comparisons much more interesting and valuable the way as Rajiv has described: made by "direct listening impressions". So the link from diecaster was not that useful (imho). At least not to me. Ok, I already knew the neighbor thread where Keetakawee has posted the same. I will give the Windows Server 2019 a try by myself when Phil's next version of AO is ready.

to 2. When you quote someone you should set the link to the source. Keetakawee has forgotten about this for some reason and therefore the "opinion" of Mr Unknown is rather valueless.

Btw, I use Fidelizer.. lol (pls have a look at my signature) and have tried Audiolinux headless and ramroot as server and endpoint. The main reason I keep with Windows Server 2016 core is because I already had this rockstable Windows server running with all the software as AO, Fidelizer and especially HQPlayer. Without the HQPlayer I probably would have changed to Audiolinux as server. Or now to GentooPlayer? *scratching my head*

47 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

How does one load the Euphony into  M2 ?  I only know how to create it via USB attached to the SATA SSD. Would the same work for optane ?  

I did the install of the trial on my Optane stick this way: with help of an Ubuntu USB stick but as you already have paid for Euphony it should work via the Euphony USB stick.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-941032

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

A quick question. I like to test out the NUC endpoint option, while waiting for my opticalRendu. 

Is is is so easy to just download Audiolinux and then instal Roon Brigde http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall ?

USB out to Singxer SU1 will work and Roon will discover?

Roon Bridge is already part of Audiolinux. No need to install it. You just have to enable it.

16 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

OK, my stupid Dell screen is too blurred to see what you did. But I presume you have the Optane M2 internally attached to the PC and then copy the euphony image to it ? (from the USB stick or just make a new image). I don't have a PC with windows that I can attach the optane. I may need to attach the optane externally to my Mac and then copy the image that way, liek I did with my SATA drive ?  There is also an Optane Sata 2.5" but it is way more expensive!!

Yes, I have a 32 GB Optane stick in my "music server". You must unpack the Euphony image from the euphony.img.gz file before so that you have an euphony.img file. This file you move to a normal USB stick. Then you must boot your pc with a Linux Live USB stick. I used Ubuntu. It comes with useful tools as Gparted and Disks.With Disks you can restore the image. Just choose the euphony.img file from the normal USB stick.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Hi Bob - Any feedback on your findings of the Element H USB card, and comparisions with SoTM txUSBultra?

Not Bob but my two cents or impression.. the Element H works on Windows much better than on Linux (Euphony). Euphony and also Audiolinux give realtime priority to 'USB' by default but this does address the USB ports of the mainboard not the irq which the Element H card is using. Maybe a general thing for such USB PCIe cards. The Element H didn't really convince me on Euphony. Neither when I changed the rt priority from 'USB' to the from the card used irq via the rtirq.conf file.