IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Also I haven't checked if NUC's has dual RJ45. Which I suppose is a must, unless a USB to Ethernet dongle is a good working solution.

my nuc6i5syh (tall case) does not have dual ethernet inputs -- nor is there really room for it. haven't really checked to see if the i7s are different.

edit: the nuc6i7 seems to come in a different case. still no dual ethernet, though. nuc5i7s come in a similar case to mine -- also no dual ethernet.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 weeks later...
You would install AO first, Fidelizer Pro second and Process Lasso last. At least that is what was recommended to me and that is what I did. While they do some things that are redundant, they each also supposedly do some things that are unique and what is nice is that all play well together.

i owned fidelizer pro first and installed audiophile optimizer second -- they don't interact with each other so i don't think it matters. no experience with process lasso . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 3 weeks later...

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize outs not expensive

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

Any reason to not try AL with a NUC6i5 I currently use running Win10/AO/Fidelizer? I understand the concept of using a powerful CPU and having it operate without strain, but wouldn't the i5 have plenty of HP as a Roon endpoint with AL?

Also is there a trial period for AL? I realize outs not expensive

Sorry.  Probably not the right thread for this.  Cross posted in the right thread, I think.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, davide256 said:

If you forced me to use AL at one end only, I would choose the server.

i agree that AL seems to provide the optimal benefit at the server -- in comparison with ROCK, AL is much better.

at the endpoint, i'm struggling much more -- the detail with AL is nice, but in my system it just seems lacking in the lower registers.  i've just switched back (again) to win10/ao/fidelizer/dirac -- it's more involving to me.

37 minutes ago, valveboy said:

Hello, I'm new here so I hope it's OK to ask and on topic? If not(?) then just delete this please.

I was wondering if a NUC can be used to clone a Sonic Transporter at a more reasonable cost?

Thanks!

i think you'll find that you can't really do it for much cheaper -- nuc, case, memory, drive.  you also get their software that isn't sold separately.  finally, the people that run small green computer are real stand-up people and are there for support.

imo, you build one yourself because it's more fun, not necessarily to save money.

• 6 months later...

@sandston -- the directions for installing rock include a few comments about the bios -- i'd check that out first.  if that doesn't get you anywhere, then i'd reset the settings (there's a f-key for that) in the bios on the nuc and try again.