IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

36 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Incidentally, when DIYing copper cables for AC, DC or speakers , when using stranded copper cable it is a good idea to make sure that the copper strands at each end are nice and shiny without oxidisation, and then solder the ends together at both ends of the cable using a suitably rated soldering iron .  If you have any silver content solder , then you could use that too.

I wonder why soldering the strands together is not permitted for connections in mains power distribution networks?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Pray tell ?

Solder cold flows over time, loosening the connections. Don't use it for any terminations relying on pressure, such as crimps or screw terminals. That's why it's banned in mains terminations. A properly tightened connection will be gas tight at the points where the metals actually touch, so it doesn't matter if oxidation occurs elsewhere.

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

I learned the no solder rule in my NZ Telecom (then NZ Post Office) training some 50 years ago, then again in my Registered Electrician training.  I saw the problem often when I did hardware servicing at IBM. Many systems had power supplies where huge screw-terminal electrolytic capacitors were screwed to massive printed circuit boards. The tracks were tinned to improve current handling, and over time the tinning would cold flow, loosening the screws and causing intermittent problems.