IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I'm so pleased that, after taking a leap of faith and implementing the NUC solution, you are hearing, and happy with, the SQ improvements you described. And I'm glad you evaluated Miska's NAA, AL, and Euphony for yourself, and picked the one that sounded best - to you. That's what it's all about!

Thank you, Rajiv. Little more on NAAs. Each of three I tried and compared would be an excellent choice, and the difference is very small. Also, I tried it with HQP desktop on server, what might be not the best combination for AL and Euphony which may sound better with AL and Euphony software on server too. At the same time, given the difference is not dramatic, I am slightly hesitant to buy Euphony when Miska's NAA is free, and AL is roughly three times less expensive. Comparing two left, I found Miska's NAA very "honest" in its sound, and it should provide excellent combination with Miska's HQP on server. Nevertheless, AL has very small edge over it in sound (in one word it is slightly more coherent), and AL gives also a plenty of settings variations to play with. Still, after trying some (acpi, ramroot, hyper-threading, etc) I returned to default, it gives most neutral presentation to my ears in my set. 

On 7/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, Superdad said:

After loads of careful comparisons (related to AL, Roon, server, etc., my current system nirvana chain:

Headless 2012 quad-core i7 Mac mini (powered by JS-2), booting AudioLinux from thumb drive with HQ Player Embedded and Roon Server >>

Cisco Catalyst 2960 100Mbps switch >>

Custom NUC (powered by UltraCap LPS-1.2) set to low speed running AudioLinux and NAA >>

ISO REGEN (LPS-1.2) >>

Lush^2 USB cable >>

Heavily modified Singxer SU-1 (LPS-1.2) >>

I2S over HDMI to Holo Spring Level 3 >>

Intact Audio 47-position Slagle/Elnaformer autotransformer level control (currently the copper version; silver wound version on may desk waiting to be wired in).  

Player/control via Roon from 27" iMac on my desk.  Music storage dives also on desktop--shared/watched via SMB with Roon.

A huge thanks to @lmitche (nuckleheadaudio.com) for many hours of patient work getting all the Linux stuff working and tuned (with a bunch of his own special tricks) and for making various sticks to make my comparison work easy and valid.

My SACD rip of the fabulous Ryan K. Smith/Analogue Productions remastering of Nina Simone's "Little Girl Blue" (don't even bother with the awful 24/96 download version done it Europe or any other version) continues to amaze and move me as my system advances. I only wish I had more time to listen to music. :D

Would you elaborate and tell more about your AL settings? For example, how you set low speed running for AudioLinux and NAA?  What else you set for SQ benefit? Thank you!

2 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Personally I wouldn't believe Pinocchio Hynes until someone is actually receiving something (in a timely manner / responsive to questions AFTER payments are sent) with 10A output, and then good luck with warranty if stuff like regulator modules were going south.

I received my SR5 from Mr.Hynes after couple of month wait (it was several years ago). After that I was sending it back for check/upgrade – it was done very fast. I've been communicating with Mr.Hynes couple of times by email, he is answering very fast (after couple of hours) with all required info/details. Last exchange of mails happened couple of weeks ago.

3 hours ago, your momo said:

Lucky man, may I ask you to pass him my greetings and tell him if possible he could be so kind to reply to my e-mail from mid June. All regarding SR7 paid in advance build progress...

Feel free to do it yourself. It will not harm to be nice and polite while writing and entertain your irony somewhere else. I am pretty sure it will help expedite your order as it did in my case. Paul Hynes is not a factory, it is one-person production by a man who may have all daily life issues, also with health, as me and you too. If you want boutique item you just can not apply the same expectations as in the volume production world.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

Lucky you. This would be the exception rather that the rule these days.. I have emailed multiple times and received no replies. Last year my experience was more like yours i.e. replies within a few hours.

I can not comment on this. Maybe, try fewer mails?) Be kind, it moves mountains.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks for the advice. I am very kind and always encourage others to do like wise... :).

Anyways I have reluctantly had to move on from PH's great SR4s since not getting any response  (I have 2x 12v max ones, and wanted to buy a 19v version). I  have since found John Kenny's Ciunas Supercaps 7v PSU to be equal (i.e. effect on SQ) in quality to the SR4 driving a Sonore Ultradigital. I tried John's 5v Supercaps PSU powering my Aqvox switch which convinced me they are equal to the SR4. John is developing a variable 3amp 12-25v version which I will be trying out when it is available.

You welcome. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Just chuckling at the way you phrased that! I'm picturing her sitting in white robes in the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, surrounded by pairs of Buffalo switches. :D

No offense intended whatsoever. I'm actually just reminiscing about a memorable driving trip in your beautiful country 2 summers ago, and hoping to go again after this Covid nightmare is over.

Everyone knows that the most important gurus live in India and they do not need to use switches to transmit ultimate truth through all kinds of networks... 🙂