IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

39 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Hi John,

Total amount of memory will depend on your NUC application.  In my NUC endpoint, I currently have 1x4GB 2400MHz DDR4, but also used 2x4GB 2400MHz DDR4.

Thanks Elan.   Actually my question was about the type, such as 'single rank', than the amount of ram.

• 1 month later...

Can't seem to remove the ethernet cable from the  ports of either of my two NUC7i7DNHE's. Is there a particular knack to pulling it out?  The same Vandesail cable has no problem with other devices around the house: laptop, fibre converters etc..it's just the nucs.  Same thing happened with a Ugreen ethernet cable (interestingly has identical plugs to the Vandesail) on the same nucs a few weeks ago, but that came out eventually.  Don't want to overforce and break anything at this price level obviously 😆

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-VANDESAIL-Gigabit-Network-Plated/dp/B013W0ARNY

One more thing while I'm here:  Do folks here have 'real time performance tuning' enabled in the bios?  (performance/processor/core settings)

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Nenon said:

I was hoping there would be some feedback on the USB Slimrun extender by now.

Tried the USB Slimrun extender in 33ft length. Unfortunately it doesn't work NUC i7 -> RME ADI-2 DAC but does work with the NUC->an old ES9023 USB dongle I have around. The RME says USB (disconnected).

47 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

I have to control myself and for now will experiment with what I have or what is on its way to me (i.e. the Cisco switch I mentioned and a JCAT net card Femto).

FWIW: My chain is control pc ->femto net card ->Cisco 2962CG (incl 2x SFP port) optical -> sonore OM ->audio PC. In other words, part copper and part fibre. Will be interested to read how you get on.

44 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Any reason you chose to put in in the control PC?

I only have one m2 (or PCIE) slot in my NUC i7 endpoint and have opted to fill that with an optane card (for windows). Would you say the femto card is wasted in the control pc? 

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

I would not say wasted: some (f.i. the vendors) recommend to put the Femto card in both the control and the audio PC. I would predict it to have more impact downstream than upstream, but no certainty until tried...

Interesting.. I suppose I could try reversing things, so the OM was at after the control and the net card in the audio, and see how it sounded.  Plenty of time right now;)

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 10:59 PM, KMan said:

I have a MP SlimRun connected directly from a i7 NUC Server to Chord DAVE. I use a LPS 1.2 to power the MP SR

Was that a NUC7i7DNHE?  I tried a MP slimrun to my NHE's (as endpoint) front and rear USB ports, with and without an Sbooster Vbus2 isolator. That was connected to a RME ADI2DAC with USPCB or regular cable, with and without a 2amp PSU connected to the MP. I tried reversing the female end of the MP to be near the endpoint, as reported by @ray-dude, using adapters. It didn't work in any configuration but often weird knocking noises were audible. The assumption is that the RME DAC and MP are not compatible.

This took place a few weeks ago and it didn't occur to me to try the MR with my external USB storage to server, as reported by @lmitche with great results. Maybe next time...😄

1 hour ago, KMan said:

If you are using USPCB, did you make sure the VBUS was on?

not sure but it also didn't work with a regular cable with VBUS active. Did you cut the VBUS from your NUC USB output in order to achieve galvanic isolation (in conjunction with the LPS 1.2 powering the Slimline)?  

4 hours ago, KMan said:

No I did not, my understanding was that by powering the MP SL, VBUS of the NUC is not longer being used

I think it is used, which is why Romaz disabled it via the jumper on his USB card.  And why I used the vbus 2 isolator into my NUC. Failing that, a USB A male to USB A female adapter, with the 5V pin broken might do the trick? You are happy with the sound anyway, so probably not worth sweating over.-)

On 5/15/2020 at 3:22 PM, Peter Avgeris said:

So I found out that there is a ridiculously cheap solution that would outperform many of the highly priced network adapters around. The exact description of the model is TP-Link 3468 v.3, it comes in both tall and narrow mounting bracket and it sells for 6-9.5 Euros. 

No. I am using Euphony Linux. Not a conflict in 4 systems!

Just wondering if the various net card comparisons you made also included s/w using Windows or Server OS?  In particular with the intel based cards versus the TP-Link, bearing in mind you preferred the latter.

5 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

What was it about the newer model that lead you to want to try it?  Or maybe the better question is what about it makes you suspect that you will favor it over the old version many of us purchased?

The other version, praised on WBF, was FTLF1324P2BTL-MC LW?

There are currently refurbished ones going for less than 8 euros on ebay (EU), if anyone wants to try.  

I just bought a pair of new FTLX1471D3BCV 10GB/1GB for even less than that, just to compare. 

It's hard to keep up 🙃 

On 6/8/2020 at 12:58 PM, John769 said:

Buffalo BS-GS2024

Does the larger model have the same magic sauce as the 16 port one?  Thanks

On 6/8/2020 at 4:16 PM, Nsxturbo said:

I have one and other than the extra ports, it uses the same Broadcom processor and similar topology.

It sounds equally good here to the BS-GS2016, each running off the same model linear power supply.

I'm just wondering if anyone has opened up a 2024 to visually check they are essentially the same, other than the ports?  Thanks a lot for the feedback on SQ.

1 hour ago, tgb said:

Has anyone tested the GS2024 ? and compared vs GS2008/2016 ?

Straight out of the box, with its internal SMPS, that's quite harsh...

Yes, as I stated just a few posts up, @Nsxturbo compared SQ and found them 'equally good' (link below)

Your photos do show some differences compared to the GS 2016, so thanks for confirming. No great surprise that it sounds harsh straight out of the box, tbh. Does modding the unit to accept LPS require soldering or any other 'challenges'?  (speaking as a non-diyer)

Edgerouter ER-X SFP

Chaps, there a lot of positive opinions about the SFP model. I purchased the non SFP version a few weeks ago but the ER-X SFP is available again in the EU currently. I'm just wondering if there's any difference in SQ between them, bearing in mind that I have two switches ahead of the router (Cisco and Buffalo) where finisar/planet SFPs are used, to an OM at the endpoint.

I don't mind at all taking a small hit by swapping over edgerouter models.  Any opinions appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

They should be the same except for the SFP port.  If you want to galvanically isolate using fiber then that's the use case for that model.

I understand that. But I'm sure quite a few ER-X SPF users are also galvanically isolating further up the chain with their switches, so don't quite understand such a positive opinion towards the SFP model.