IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, mozes said:

Will be interesting to see if @austinpop Zenith SE will beat the Trifecta!

I hope this is the right place for this:

I have not seen any info here regarding how the Bricasti M5 competes with both the Zenith and the SOtM Trifecta.

Has anyone compared it to the SOtM Trifecta?, it seems to offer excellent performance for its asking price:

"Using RAAT and any server running Roon Server, M5 not only offers more sonorous bass and a more luscious midrange, its overall sound quality is all the way at the level of the four times as expensive Aurender N10 music server, and that makes it almost a bargain!"

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/bricasti-m5-network-player/

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Then cut the spades off.  They will impact performance.  Do you have (2) duplex receptacles in a wall box or just one.  See photo.  I want to send a picture demonstrating how I would wire them.

Can you pull, the face off your transformer and send a picture.  Need to see that too.  This one is hard wired with wire nuts. My other had a terminal block. I want to look at the screws.  See photo. 

15161604807851723482733.jpg

20180116_192918.jpg

I have the same model which looks exactly like this one you are showing,  compared to my TOPAZ- 1KVA - .001pF the latter performs cleaner quiter and less hot, it is just better, the music is more natural and organic, i purchased the 91002-32 excited for what the smaller was doing and if a 1KVA with .001 was performing so well, the 2.4 with .0005pF was supposed to be a lot better, for my surprise it was the other way around...it sounds cold and dirty

Is there any way to put in these 91002-32 what they are missing inside for them to work as they should?

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

13 hours ago, KingRex said:

What are you powering. I don't like the transformer on front end gear, but it was great with my CJ amp. 

I have a TOPAZ 91001-22  (1kva/.001pF) connected to the wall and a DIY bar with OYAIDE plugs connected to the TOPAZ. 

DAC, PREAMP, AMP and MACmini are connected to the power bar, so yes all goes to the Topaz, so far it makes the sound a lot cleaner than with the TOPAZ 91002-32 which i believe it needs to be fixed to achieve its best.

Any suggestions to fix it? Inside it looks exactly as the one you showed

88E31DD2-F18E-4ECA-BC59-7F9DCB2F9536.JPG.thumb.JPG.456cfd58e4cc47cfd0effcf91cf62d89.JPG

51 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I don't understand that the 91002-32 needs to be fixed, can you explain further?

The 91002-32 is a 2.4kVA device, by fixed, do you mean fixed wiring, given the 20A rating? Mine isn't wired in permanently at the moment (has the correct protection on it though), and it works fine. The difference between a 0.0005pF and a 0.001pf should be audible since the attenuation for common mode noise is double. 

I don't know what is going on with it, but i can say that the 1KVA .001pF makes my system sound better, i am suspecting the 9100-32 when refurbished they did not ended up as it should be, it makes the sound thin, noise and cold

I took it to an electrical engineer, but he is waiting for me to bring the "good" one to compare inside

I read you did not like what it did to your end, Have you had this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, austinpop said:

That’s great to hear. The question that remains, though, is how it performs relative to the other choices.

if you ever get a chance to compare, please let us know!

I am still wondering about the SOtM Trifecta of course, i would love to try it, but i would need to buy the gear, i live in Mexico and believe me that i have spent lots of money on shipping and Customs Taxes and restocking fees, not to easy here...if i have the chance to try it i will and let you know of course, but lets be honest, at this price level and to just plug & play with this SQ, believe my system is reaching a level of performance very very good although i am using an OPPO 205 as a DAC which i purchased after i sold my Auralic VEGA while i was deciding which better DAC i was going to upgrade, i needed a 4K player anyway so that also was going to do as a DAC tasks in the meantime i reach other choices that actually are:

VEGA G2

DENAFRIPS Terminator

SCHIIT Yggy

PS Stream JR

But let me tell you that even with the 205 the DAC is showing how good can be  and now i can wait to choose the DAC upgrade patiently.

Cheers!!

Is any ethernet cable out there that betters the Blue Jeans CAT 6A at reasonable prices, i know WW, SOtM and others are better by reading different experiences but those are way out of my acceptance of spending that kind of cash...so far :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, d_elm said:

You could put a JSSG braided shield on what you have to lower RF interference, if any.

Do you mean on the Walmart Switch or how specifically?

On 12/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, d_elm said:

The shield goes on top of the existing cable, is not connected to anything, and solder an insulated wire, around 20 AWG or thicker, at each end one or two spirals down the outside of the shield.  Then add a sleeve on top of the shield.  Ends of shield and slieve are secured with heat shrink.  1/2" braid and shield can be installed over an ethernet connector.  If one connector is not installed 1/4" braid and sleeve can probably be used.

DSCF5026.jpg

DSCF5030.jpg

DSCF5031.jpg

DSCF5032.jpg

Does this cable comes already with this treatment? it is the ET02 Belden 1303E CAT6A Metz Ethernet(JSSG) Cable

Hi, i just pull the trigger on a Yggy DAC and i am wondering if any on this forum know what DCC would be best for convering from USB to AES.

I have read that Yggy is best with AES input

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Cooler said:

The best is berkeley usb converter :) 

Thanks Cooler, is there any other less expensive, how about the SOtM dX-USB HD, is it good for that?

47 minutes ago, Cooler said:

Hmm, i didnt know they had such a product. 

I read about (didnt hear in person) Singxer SU-1 is good for its money, and the cheapest is Gustard u12, i had it as a temp solution before i got berkeley, i would say its ok for that money, but not in high level setup for full time :)

ps. you have Bricasti M5, which has AES, why you need additional box then?!

I don't have the M5 anymore, i just can't take it out from my profile, i have tried it 

30 minutes ago, Cooler said:

Oh :) Top right corner, click on your name -> account settings -> signature -> save

I suppose you are changing Audio System in Profile, which is different thing, but for me, its also confusing :))

Thanks!! 

34 minutes ago, limniscate said:

I use the SOtM gear and Yggdrasil with AES. I've compared the dX-USB Ultra and SU-1 with LPS-1 mod and couldn't really tell a difference. However, I haven't compared the dX-USB Ultra with master reference clock to the SU-1 yet but will soon since I'm getting a Mutec Ref 10. 

Did you mean dX-USB "Ultra" or you meant tX-USB Ultra? i am trying to look at the dX-USB Ultra in SOtM page and i don't find it

Does anybody have experienced the Roon Rock solution? i am confused NOW regarding having a Roon Rock which i have been reading that it is a huge step over a Regular PC/MAC, so how much of a difference would someone experience having a Zenith MKII instead of a Roon Rock Nuc? price is way cheaper with A Ronn Rock NUC.

i know the PS on the Zenith is very good and so, but as a person who is going to extract the best possible SQ from Roon, a NUC Roon Rock seems to be a great alternative too and a lot cheaper is not it? also you can put more RAM, processor and bigger SSD for less and keep it flexible for future updates...

What am i missing here?

On 15/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, Johnseye said:

ROCK is the OS unless you're referring to a NUC sold by Roon, which I'm not aware if they are selling those or not.

There are many ways to skin this cat.  If you want simple and great sound, get a Zenith.  If you want to build your own for great sound you can use ROCK.  If you just want simple, buy a standard NUC with ROCK on it.

Thanks Johnseye:

So much BUZZ about ROCK, i thought that yes it is a ROON OS but in a way that makes it better/dedicated

So if i build a NUC with ROCK, it should be the same like having ROON on my Mac mini?

14 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

ROCK OS is Linux based and Roon customized it for Roon music listening.  Whether it sounds better or not is up to your ears and what else you're doing. For example if you want to use HQ Player you can't install it on ROCK. You also can't bridge NICs with ROCK. 

The Mac and NUC hardware are different and will have their own influence on the sound. 

There are a lot of variables to consider. I had been using ROCK for a few months and went back to Windows. I can use HQ Player with Roon and bridge my NICs again eliminating the switch. I think it sounds slightly better. 

Excellent thank you for clearing that for me!!

Cheers!

Hello Guys,

For those with more and vast experience than me (mostly all of you) :D

What do you Guys feel is the better first step for upgrading components if you were in my shoes? (DAC or SERVER)

I am considering upgrading my DAC (OPPO 205) and my Mac mini as well: 

But i need to do it one step at the time: either begin with DAC upgrade or Server Upgrade...

If going with DAC in first place:

I could mod my OPPO or get another DAC like DenafripsTerminator or a used Bricasti M1SE (more investment)

1.-NEW Denafrips Terminator: $4,400

2.- Used Bricasti M1SE: $5,500

3.-Sending my OPPO 205 for Modification ($850):

1.- Linear Power supply SE
   2.- OCXO clock mod & TCXO clock mod
   3.- DAC mod

--- DAC BOARD: "The main stereo balance and unbalanced output should be modified mainly.
The electrolytic capacitor is now used, they should be replaced with OSCON(SANYO or Panasonic) and Wima film capacitor ( MKS2 1uF/63V)

Coupling capacitors are a very important part where the sound signal passes directly. The function is to cut off DC voltage and pass only music signal, which is very directly related to sound quality."

Send only main board and 2 channel stereo DAC board .
 then It will be mod to those boards for OCXO & TCXO clock mod and dac board mod. ---

If going with SERVER in first place and keep the OPPO in the meantime while i save founds for either modding the OPPO or getting another DAC and using the OPPO as a transport (CDS and SACDS):

Zenith MKII ($3,400):

So what are your thoughts: SERVER or DAC?

Cheers!!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am wondering if this approach of using a SD CARD as music library instead of the MacMini HD that runs OS and more programs...Has anyone tried this to avoid noise?

• 1 month later...

While i still in the hunt for the Streamer which fits best with my system to put aside the 2012 macMini and can make a significant reduction in noise, i had the chance to purchase the last upgrade from Louis Motek´s LessLoss the Firewall 64X, i juts received mine two days ago with the suggestion of leaving it for at least several weeks before it can show its fully potential, oh man this little magic thing has put my system so far in another level of clarity, blackness dimension and easy to hear even my records that just could not hear them before, only 3 days and this thing is a HUGE improvement at least in my system which i consider is already a good one, i am going to ask another which i will use on the DAC, this one i put it in the MacMini and to be honest i never thought it could made a lot of difference in the Mac mini, really wow! very recommended!

I have to say that i have no agenda with Mr. Motek, only the fact that every time i have had something from him is a hit and i don't have a lot from him

I suggest this little piece of magic!!

image.thumb.png.4d54e134a30a8c57103eca42e497c189.png

7 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Does this plug into the standard MacMini power inlet?

No i have a special adapter which Louis made for me 3 years ago, look:

In this case it has the first generation of firewall attached (don't get worry about that), important thing is to make the adaptor, then you can add the NEW firewall 64X (wood one) as you see in the picture...

IMG-1106.thumb.JPG.f639c71397b169d4df1513b25a8764a3.JPG

IMG-1105.thumb.JPG.1ed88c37d5acc760fd46b95ee8570fce.JPG

Hi Guys,

Is this the same Pentium board or if not, can it be used instead of the one that comes with the NUC7PJYH:

ASRock J5005-ITX Intel Quad-Core Pentium Silver Processor (Up to 2.8 GHz) Motherboards

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-J5005-ITX-Quad-Core-Processor-Motherboards/dp/B079G91MQ1