IGNORED

well, where to begin

watts

I have done plenty of quality reading over the holiday break. Firstly thank you all for sharing the wealth of knowledge and experiences regarding computer hi-fi. I am finally involving myself and my system with computer files to a semi-serious extent.

I have been using a Wyred DAC-1 from my Linn player for quite a while, but have not seriously considered using the laptop until reading about this DSD stuff lately. With a little extra Xmas cash I ordered a DSD capable Exasound e22, and hope to dabble with some high-res tracks after sufficient burn in.

So I downloaded JRiver and ordered some familiar classic rock albums in 24/96 and 24/192. I planned on using a HD tracks 15% holiday discount and browsed some albums but to my surprise received a nice message stating "not available in your territory". Gudamm Canadian protectionist Cacca again. Upon further investigations I found ProstudioMasters where I could actually order some hi-res tracks.

Trying these 24/96 files out the first time with the Wyred took a while to figure out how to have the unit accept the higher sampling frequency, but after realizing the computer needed to reboot while attached to the usb for the 96 khz display to show I finally compared the sound vs. the redbook with the Linn. A few tracks were demoed, and the 96 files had a little more shimmer and natural decay on the cymbals but surprisingly the difference was not huge. Jazz fans are probably wondering why I wouldn't use that; I understand classic rock is not the best source material to make comparisons, but this is the material I have listened to extensively, and will continue to do so. Maybe the next hi-res purchase might be Norah Jones; I don't know....

Now these are remastered CD's, and the Linn is an excellent transport, (it blew away my older OPPO when I tried it as a transport), so I imagine people trying a computer high res for the first time compared to lesser equipment would be presented with a bigger wow factor.

My thoughts, which I hope some could comment on, are how much better would the 24 bit files have sounded if I optimised my laptop? I don't know how much better some other computer might sound compared to this HP Elitebook 2740 using Windows 7 , i5 M560 @2.67 Ghz, 4GB Ram. The USB is a Wireworld Starlight.

I assume the Exasound will sound better (otherwise why the extra $$$$?) with the simple 24/96 files. George is a native resolution advocate, but have others upsampled (DSD) with success? if so with the DAC or with JRiver?

Lastly I have read that DBPoweramp is the best ripper, that may be the next item on my agenda. Could I use an older XP Hp laptop for the sole purpose of ripping, and then transferring these files to the Player Elitebook? As the Elitebook does not have a optical drive, and the older laptop is essentially a paperweight.

And Happy New Year to everyone!

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>optical>EtherRegen>Audio Sensibility Supra>Antipodes K50>JormaAES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

Yes, I understand I could do this, but reading between the lines, with XP not being supported by antivirus programs, is the simple process of downloading DBPoweramp opening me up for potential problems?

And will it continue to be supported by DBPoweramp in the future?

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>optical>EtherRegen>Audio Sensibility Supra>Antipodes K50>JormaAES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

Free works for me. I'll give it a go. Thanks guys.