IGNORED

Does Tidal HiFi work thru AirPlay?

arcman

AirPlay always transmits audio over the network to the AirPlay receiver using the Apple Lossless audio codec (ALAC) at the CD quality resoltion of 16/44.1 kHz. Of course you have to make sure your music playing software at the AirPlay sender end is producing 16/44.1kHz lossless audio in the first place, such as setting the Tidal iOS app to the HiFi output mode you mentioned.

Incidentally, if HDTracks did start a hi rez streaming service and a higher than 16/44.1kHz audio stream was made available, then you'd have to use a different method to AirPlay to use that hi rez stream with (such as industry standard UPnP/DLNA) if you wanted to receive that higher resolution on a networked device, since AirPlay audio streaming is fixed at 16/44.1 kHz.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Yes. For 16/44, then Airplay is fine until I happen to purchase a component with it built in. For 16/44, there's no need at this time ( for myself).

If a good Hi Rez streaming service with the selection of HD tracks ever comes into being, that alone would motivate me to purchase a separate component with HD trackss( or whatever service) software built in.

If you have access to a $35 Chromecast Audio device you can stream Tidal lossless that way. It's much better than AirPlay because the audio doesn't route through your phone.

Google Chromecast Audio isn't capable of gapless playback. A severe disadvantage for classical music.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The gapless on phone is really good. As long as the digital signal is not modified on phone, I'm happy. The ATV will upsample to 16/48 but that's no real issue
AirPlay depends entirely on the sending app to produce the audio on the device the app is sending from (eg your phone). So if an audio producing app on your phone supports gapless, using AirPlay with that app will of course also be gapless.

The Google Chromecast Audio on the other hand has the ability to receive (& therefore itself play) audio files, as well as (like AirPlay) the ability to the receive audio produced by the sending device. It's in the audio file streaming mode that the Chromecast Audio doesn't currently support gapless when it's receiving and playing audio file tracks one after the other. Unfortunately, this is also the mode you have to use it in for the audio not to be routed through the phone.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Good point Kelly. I wonder if it's the Chromecast, the casting technology, the casting device / app, or something else that's the culprit.
It's an issue known to the Google Cast SDK developers, which they appear to be unwilling to fix:

Issue 745: Add true gapless playback support to Chromecast Audio

-- Jo Cox

Indeed and hence the obvious frustration of the OP - M. Pujos aka Bubbleguuum, developer of the BubbleUPnP Android app.

Yes, it is a real shame, and I thought Chromecast Audio was the answer to my prayers, streaming via TOSLINK to an external DAC. That was, until I tried to steam/play Solti's Ring cycle! lol

I'm now using a Lumin D1 and haven't looked back :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that's some upgrade, can't see anyone looking back from that!

Yes, I suppose so :-)

I was always a 'die hard' physical format listener, and have loved listening to SACD & Vinyl. I have ' dipped my toes in the water' with computer-based audio/FLAC/DSD files over the last few years, and have owned streamers from Chromecast (Audio), Cambridge Audio (NP30) and Denon (DNP-720AE), but have always been left underwhelmed by either the sound quality, user experience (poor apps), or lack of gapless playback.

Thankfully, the Lumin is the very first streamer I have owned to address all of these issues. The Lumin offers full gapless playback, has an absolutely superb iOS app, and sounds absolutely phenomenal.

For the very first time I have a streamer that sounds better than my Denon DCD-A100 SACD player, and is a darn sight easier to use to boot. I'm now a file-based music 'convert' and couldn't be happier :-)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk