IGNORED

Focusrite Clarett 4 pre

Hi everybody, I've just bought an external thunderbolt sound card to record myself: the focus rite claret 4 pre (max res 192 Khz)

I'd like to take the sound card benefits when I listen to my music too.

The first question is: 1) it it a good thunderbolt sound card?

2) Speaking of software, I use vlc, but want something better (also to keep 92 Khz or more res)

I've read about Nirvana, tried the trial and don't like the fact that you must create playlists in order to listen songs. Very disappointing. Is there another in which I'm not obliged to create playlists and play songs directly from the folder?

3) Shall I get any else software to make the sound better?

Thank you.

I have had one for a couple months. Being normal playback mainly I had a few issues with multiple inputs live. Learned to turn off unused inputs in the Control to prevent bleed through. Normally have a radio stream running on a RCA spdif input and files from my Mac on the Thunderbolt.

I have been a Pure Music and Pure Vinyl user for a long time. Not sure when but 6 - 7 years. Tried A+ for a while and went back to PM. I find playback from ram with playlist function is great.

Looked inside the 4Pre to see what makes it tick. Two AKM AK5388 4 channel ADC chips and one AKM AK4413 4 channel Dac chip. Also only saw one clock chip. Assume it is optimized for 48/96/192k.

Playing around with sample rates I preferred 44.1/16 upsampled by PM to 176.4/24 and my 96/24 ISO file conversions at full 192/24.

I think there are more optimizations for the 4Pre playback. It is great now.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.