IGNORED

DAC > amp > speakers

gradier

Speakers (and room correction).

To a first approximation, DACs sound quite similar. (Some people maintain they all sound the same). Unless it is built intentionally to add coloration, a good amp should be neutral gain.

Perhaps Amps should sound the same but in practice certainly don't ... the crossover and speakers are part of the amplifier circuit and response to complex loads can be surprisingly different

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Sigh, this again. (Sorry :-( )

OK:--

Speakers and room will have the greatest effect on the overall sound of the SYSTEM (because different speakers and rooms can sound radically different), but *not necessarily* on the quality of the sound or the enjoyment of the music. While DACs, preamps, amps, cables, ..., can sound remarkedly similar on casual or short-term listening they can make major differences to long-term satisfaction.

As the signal travels from the source to your brain, once something has been lost it can't be regained, so there does need to be some balance within the SYSTEM. It's up to you to find the balance that you want.

Finding the best balance is a journey, and depends on YOU and your preferences. It's important to enjoy the journey.

Good luck.

Greg

Which is why your budget goes a lot further if you use active speakers such as these-

https://techcrunch.com/2014/12/22/devialet-phantom/

One of my he reasons this hobby is fun is because there are many different approaches. I know of well engineered products such as DACs, amps and speakers that have different sonic signatures, even products from the same designer at the same price point. Transparency is indeed a goal. Just like glass being transparent, there can be different shades of transparency -- in some cases antireflection coatings can help, in other cases they can hinder.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

One of my he reasons this hobby is fun is because there are many different approaches. I know of well engineered products such as DACs, amps and speakers that have different sonic signatures, even products from the same designer at the same price point. Transparency is indeed a goal. Just like glass being transparent, there can be different shades of transparency -- in some cases antireflection coatings can help, in other cases they can hinder.

Have you tried immersive audio yet? That's a much different approach than stereo.

Haven't but it looks really interesting!

Well all of this stuff is subjective and if you are a movie buff and like to buy BRD then Atmos is good. If you like to watch movies that were not mixed in atmos or listen to music then I prefer the Auro 3D upmixer. Whichever way you go the choice of speakers you use for height channels should match your bed channels as close as possible. With a setup like this you have the flexibility of two channel or can use immersive.