IGNORED

Egg cartons vs soundproofing foam

Akoto

Egg boxes only absorb and scatter high frequencies, not recommended unless you have many layers, the best acoustic foam is superior in every aspect and looks better.

Are they comparable? Are egg cartons REALLY as good?

I don't mind paying the money, but where I'm putting it nobody will ever see, so if they are pretty much the same I'll do egg cartons.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Are they comparable? Are egg cartons REALLY as good?

I don't mind paying the money, but where I'm putting it nobody will ever see, so if they are pretty much the same I'll do egg cartons.

Better get some glass fiber or equivalent and some acoustically transparent tissue and build your own frame to go with it: it's going to be better in every way, not just aesthetically (and that's important as well even if not seen).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Meh. I'm just going to egg carton it all. Just went to the dollar store: <$10 for everything.

After you get it setup, let us know how you like it and if you found it worth the effort.

And, if it falls short, you may want to augment it with treatments for corners and first reflection points.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

The other posters have it right. With wall treatments, there are three factors: density, shape, and thickness.

- Density. The more dense it is, the more it will attenuate some frequencies. However, at shorter wavelengths, the more dense it is, the more it will reflect. Think about it this way - a thick brick wall will reflect all frequencies. A piece of tissue paper will pass al frequencies through and reflect none. A curtain is somewhere in between - it will pass bass frequencies but absorb higher frequencies.

- Shape. Flat surfaces reflect all incoming waves in the same direction. Irregular surfaces scatter.

- Thickness. The thicker it is, the longer wavelengths it will absorb.

I doubt if your egg cartons will do much. At most it will scatter and absorb the high frequencies, and that's it. You need something with more density and thicker. Perhaps you could consider filling your cartons with foam. Or stacking your cartons one on top of the other.

Then do it at least 5 times stacked on top of each other.

Fibre glass loft insulation is also very cheap, In my studio I made my own frames filled with insulation and sheets stapled over as covers to keep the fibres in.

Meh. I'm just going to egg carton it all. Just went to the dollar store: <$10 for everything.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

do you want absorption, diffraction or both?

at what freqs.? at what angles?

I think that, from Akoto's other thread, his problem is sound proofing, not room acoustics.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/foam-31041/

If you want less noise to leave the room, you should seal the door first, and cover it if it's a thin door.

Making walls more soundproof is much more difficult and costly. Egg carton won't make a difference in that respect. That's just a budget solution to dampen wall reflections, i.e. for the acoustics in the room.

Claude