IGNORED

Music Server / Streamer upgrade - Sonore SonicOrbiter

j-mo

Hello,

New to this great site!

I am looking to upgrade my streamer soon and wanted to ask a couple questions. I currently have a 1st gen Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. I want to have better hi-rez / DSD capabilites and was thinking about the Sonore SonicOrbiter SE. Initially I would get the Sonore and utilize the DAC on the CA Stream Magic - I believe it has DACMagic in it. The CA DAC does not accept USB input - this is why I'm looking at the Sonic Orbiter, as opposed to the MicroRendu.

In terms of the rest of my setup, I have all my audio files on my windows desktop and use Jriver Media Center and JRemote on my IPAD. I have Bryston B60 intergrated and Thiel CS 1.6 speakers.

I'm assuming I can still use my Windows / JRiver / IPAD setup correct? One thing about the Cambridge I like is built in Pandora. I like to stream jazz and some classical at times. I know quality isn't great but I discover a lot of great new material. What is best way to play Pandora with the Sonore SonicOrbiter and my Cambridge DAC? Do I just bypass and get an external device and plug it into my amp?

One other question. I do like how the Cambridge displays what is playing. I'm guessing that can't be transferred to something else? I should Just rely on the JRemote display on IPAD?

thanks a ton!

Hi, welcome to CA

The Sonicorbiter has several selectable output modes, including the DLNA Output for use with UPnP/DLNA control points such as the one built into JRiver Media Center (and therefore controllable by JRMC's remote control app, JRemote) to control the streaming and playing of audio files from UPnP/DLNA media servers, (again) such as the one built into JRMC.

Similarly, another of the output modes, the Squeezelite Output, allows the Sonicorbitor to be controlled by Squeezebox controllers (such as the renowned iPeng iPad app) to stream and play audio files from the Logitech Media Server. The good thing about LMS is that it has plugin components available to it that allow you to extend its capabilties to also stream from online music streaming services, such as Pandora.

Yes, unfortunately there's no display on the Sonicorbitor, so you are completely reliant on the streaming software you using to controlling it with for the output mode its in, if you require viewing playback type information.

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi, welcome to CA

The Sonicorbiter has several selectable output modes, including the DLNA Output for use with UPnP/DLNA control points such as the one built into JRiver Media Center (and therefore controllable by JRMC's remote control app, JRemote) to control the streaming and playing of audio files from UPnP/DLNA media servers, (again) such as the one built into JRMC.

Similarly, another of the output modes, the Squeezelite Output, allows the Sonicorbitor to be controlled by Squeezebox controllers (such as the renowned iPeng iPad app) to stream and play audio files from the Logitech Media Server. The good thing about LMS is that it has plugin components available to it that allow you to extend its capabilties to also stream from online music streaming services, such as Pandora.

Yes, unfortunately there's no display on the Sonicorbitor, so you are completely reliant on the streaming software you using to controlling it with for the output mode its in, if you require viewing playback type information.

This is great info, thanks. So for the Squeezebox output, I would have to use Ipeng or something other the Jriver? When you say, 'play files from LMS' Where is that? Is that installed on my Windows Desktop?

thank you