IGNORED

Bench-type Linear Power Supply Any Good?

kilroy

Will a bench LPS like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009622HC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KV19AYUKS3X0 offer any advantage for powering USB cards, SSDs etc over motherboard power? And for external devices like Regen, etc. Not the typical audiophile LPS but surely it must offer some improvement over mobo and SMPS power? This particular one has one fixed 5V/3A and two variable 0-30V/0-5A taps. Seems more than enough to take care of the typical array of devices.

I use a BK Precision 1730A bench-top supply for a Regen, which also supplied a few USB powered DACs (Concero HD, Korg DS-DAC-10R) and a SOtM sMS-100 server in HQPlayer NAA mode. The BK has no fan, makes no buzzing noises, has good PS 'specs' and was a step-up audio performance-wise to the various wall-warts it replaced, but I haven't compared it to an 'audiophile' supply, so have no comment on how it compares.

Roon + HQPlayer on Win10/i7-6700K Skylake > SMS-100 (HQP NAA) > Uptone Regen with benchtop linear PS > Concero HD DAC (sometimes Audionote Kit 2.1). Dedicated room, VPI/Zyx TT, Sonic Frontiers phono, Joule-Electra pre-amp, DIY 2A3 amp, DIY Altec 604-8G & 416A woofers on HK SS amp.