IGNORED

Focusrite 2i2 keeps pooping out

Just got this thing less than a few days ago. The site has been down since christmas and so I haven't gotten the software yet, so that might be the problem.

Basically it's just randomly turning into this grinding popping sound and it's all distorted.

No clue what to do.

Agreed with Apes'. What software do yuo use to play your music? JRiver, Foobar, Media Player....? Does "whatever Windows has installed" mean you're using Media player? If so, Foobar 2000 is free, and fantastic. I highly recommend you download, install it, download the ASIO.dll for it, and then choose your ASIO Focusrite interface within its config. Then let's see how it goes.

Suspect you have driver and OS issues. They may release another driver. These are way more complicated than expected.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

1. Download and install latest drivers.

2. Make sure to use ASIO whenever possible in your programs. Try ASIO for Winamp plugin, or better yet, use Foobar2000 instead.

3. Set latency a little higher so that it does not drop out, cutting sound. Try something like 256 samples or more.

Hope this helps.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Mine did something similar on my Macbook Pro, then I changed the USB cable from an ordinary USB cable to a dual head red Kingrex (costs some 4-5x times more :)) and works like charm since, no popping, no problem at all and there is a much better sound.....

Mine did something similar on my Macbook Pro, then I changed the USB cable from an ordinary USB cable to a dual head red Kingrex (costs some 4-5x times more :)) and works like charm since, no popping, no problem at all and there is a much better sound.....

Mine works even with a cheapass $2.00 cable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I took delivery of a 2I2 yesterday (downloaded the very latest drivers) and have since recorded a few songs using Vinyl Studio software. No problems with the quality so far. I set the software gain to the max and used the gain dials on the 2I2 to control recording volume. I use a PC running windows 10 64 bit.

The one thing that does intrigue me though is that Vinyl Studio suggests that the 2I2 is limited to 24/48 not 24/192 as claimed. Also, when I check the advanced tab for the device in the Windows Control Panel the max non-exclusive mode is also 24/48. I must confess that my aging ears could not distinguish between recording attempts at 48khz and 96khz but this could also be because the software is simply bit padding.

Has anyone struck a similar issue?

Thanks and regards

Are you using ASIO drivers?

Hi,

I took delivery of a 2I2 yesterday (downloaded the very latest drivers) and have since recorded a few songs using Vinyl Studio software. No problems with the quality so far. I set the software gain to the max and used the gain dials on the 2I2 to control recording volume. I use a PC running windows 10 64 bit.

The one thing that does intrigue me though is that Vinyl Studio suggests that the 2I2 is limited to 24/48 not 24/192 as claimed. Also, when I check the advanced tab for the device in the Windows Control Panel the max non-exclusive mode is also 24/48. I must confess that my aging ears could not distinguish between recording attempts at 48khz and 96khz but this could also be because the software is simply bit padding.

Thanks and regards

Hi,

Thanks and regards

did you get the v2 version? (v1 versions are still out there and cheaper -- v1 does not support 24/192)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100