IGNORED

Will USB 30 really make a difference

Planning to connect a WD NAS to my USB 2.0 router to stream music. I assume the

WD NAS will have a USB 3.0 port in addition to the USB 2.0. TBD. Since I really don't plan to stream video, is it really worth it for me to upgrade my router to USB 3.0?

NAS means Network Attached Storage which means the communication is done over the network, USB is not used. What will determine speed is whether the network interface is gigabit or not. Most newer devices will be gigabit. And all your other devices in the path need to be as well - it will be as fast as the slowest device in the chain (unused devices' speed is irrelevant).

But even 100 mbps should be fast enough.

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s > vdH The Grail

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

NAS means Network Attached Storage which means the communication is done over the network, USB is not used. What will determine speed is whether the network interface is gigabit or not. Most newer devices will be gigabit. And all your other devices in the path need to be as well - it will be as fast as the slowest device in the chain (unused devices' speed is irrelevant).

But even 100 mbps should be fast enough.

Good info thanks. I guess I was actually asking if accessing the audio files through USB 3.0 would be worth upgrading the router from USB 2.0 to 3.0. It may help if I clarify that the plan was to hard connect the NAS via USB directly to the router rather than a hard Ethernet connection. But I am not committed to the USB. I could easily go with the Ethernet option since I have an available Ethernet port on the router.

I wonder if you are suggesting a wireless network connection with the NAS. Someone on this forum suggested that I go with a hard connection (USB or Ethernet) to the NAS that contains the source material. Did I misunderstand?