IGNORED

microRendu & USB devices - isolators / regenerators etc.

I've seen bits of discussion in a number of threads, but nothing dedicated top the subject of what people have experienced with the many and varied products that aim to improve the quality of the USB connection between microRendu and DAC.

The list, off the top of my head, includes:

- Uptone Regen

- Intona Isolator

- Ifi iPurifier 2

- Wyred4sound Recovery USB reclocker

Obviously, the first question to ask of those who have experience with these devices is whether they make a difference?

Second, has anyone had the opportunity to compare any of them?

Third, are there other devices that should be on the list?

I have most of those you mentioned:

- Uptone Regen

- Intona (Jcat) Isolator

- Wyred4sound Recovery USB reclocker

I don't have the Ifi iPurifier 2, but I do have the iFi 3.0 USB + bunch of PSUs (ifi, LPS-1, JS-2, SOtM mBPS-d2s). Didn't have the time to do much testing yet.

I will start after I'm done with sonore microRendu vs SOtM sMS-200 testing.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I would add the Mutec MC3+USB. OK, this is not improving the 'USB connection' to the DAC as such, it is replacing it with AES/EBU. However, in my case using a Devialet amplifier the AES/EBU input is generally reckoned to be superior to the USB input. So I get the benefit of isolation, reclocking, and replacing the USB with AES/EBU. Is the Mutec any good? In my experience it is superb, I would say the best 900 Euro's I have spent on hifi kit in very many years, the improvements are in all areas, more accurate bass, clearer, more detailed, more realistic / analogue sounding, it's all good, nothing bad. From what I have read of the experience of others, it works well with many DAC's, so I don't think improvement in switching from USB to AES/EBU is unique to the Devialet. In addition it will output via BNC or S/PDIF. If it has one negative, it cannot cope with true native DSD, which might matter to some.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I would add the Mutec MC3+USB. OK, this is not improving the 'USB connection' to the DAC as such, it is replacing it with AES/EBU. However, in my case using a Devialet amplifier the AES/EBU input is generally reckoned to be superior to the USB input. So I get the benefit of isolation, reclocking, and replacing the USB with AES/EBU. Is the Mutec any good? In my experience it is superb, I would say the best 900 Euro's I have spent on hifi kit in very many years, the improvements are in all areas, more accurate bass, clearer, more detailed, more realistic / analogue sounding, it's all good, nothing bad. From what I have read of the experience of others, it works well with many DAC's, so I don't think improvement in switching from USB to AES/EBU is unique to the Devialet. In addition it will output via BNC or S/PDIF. If it has one negative, it cannot cope with true native DSD, which might matter to some.

For the last sentence, which 'it' are you referring, the Diavalet or the Mutec? The Mutec can cope with DSD256 native and DoP (like from OSX).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

For the last sentence, which 'it' are you referring, the Diavalet or the Mutec? The Mutec can cope with DSD256 native and DoP (like from OSX).

I was referring to the Mutec. I guess I could have been clearer, the Mutec will accept native DSD, yes, but the Mutec's output will be PCM.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 1 month later...

Since adding microRendu + LPS-1 to my system I preferred streaming Tidal and Qobuz over the music on my Sylogy ds112 NAS. So I was thinking on upgrading my network. Fortunately I decided on upgrading my NAS first. I did replace the Synology ds112 for ds116. This really makes a difference. The CPU load now is well below 10% while transcoding flac to wav24. Where as the ds112 wasn't able to do wav24 transcoding (CPU load at 90% when transcoding to wav). The sound is clearer and at least as good as streaming Tidal/Qobuz. I'm really happy about this. I don't feel the need for a ethernet isolator anymore. At least not at this moment ;-)