IGNORED

Sometimes its not so obvious what impacts sound...

jabbr

Thanks! This is fascinating stuff....

Information about another study with a different take linked from the page you reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/science/earth/sweetest-violins-explained-holes-fill-in-blanks.html

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

In before

"Any wood that measures the same with this ruler will sound the same".

Or

"There has never been a double blind ABX test that proves that violins sound different"

Or

"Differences in violins are miniscule compared to the effect of the concert hall"

Or

"Any difference in violins is expectation bias from the price of the Stradivarius. It's placebo"

In before

Or

"There has never been a double blind ABX test that proves that violins sound different"

Or

"Differences in violins are miniscule compared to the effect of the concert hall"

Or

"Any difference in violins is expectation bias from the price of the Stradivarius. It's placebo"

I think we did have an interesting study summarized previously here where folks in a blind test couldn't tell a carbon fiber violin from a Strad or liked the carbon one better, can't recall which.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I think we did have an interesting study summarized previously here where folks in a blind test couldn't tell a carbon fiber violin from a Strad or liked the carbon one better, can't recall which.

Just emailed the head of the research team asking whether there was a scientific basis to claim there was indeed an audible difference in light of the 2015 blind test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In before

Or

Or

Or

Violins are instruments used by humans to produce music.

Hi-fi systems are composed by electronic and electro-acoustic equipment and their purpose is to reproduce recorded music.

With a higher accuracy or fidelity there's more of a chance that the reproduced sound of a recorded violin will sound like a real violin.

There are limitations both in recording and playback but the best will be able to produce a reasonably credible reproduction.

Comparing audio equipment and systems to instruments makes no sense.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

yes, but of course afterwards all sorts of holes started getting poked in the methodology of the test, putting results in some doubt.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If I played, not only would the fiber perhaps sound better but the control, when nothing is played, would undoubtedly win.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

If I played, not only would the fiber perhaps sound better but the control, when nothing is played, would undoubtedly win.

I think the fiber is really a cool idea. Even if it isn't as good as a Strad, it's very interesting that in blind tests it was agreed it sounded fine. Good way to keep instruments relatively affordable.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Many top soloists like playing on particularly expensive instruments. It boosts their egos. Touring with a Stradivarius puts you in an exclusive club, populated mainly by the best of the best. Personally, when I've been struck by the exceptional beauty of a violin in a recording, it's generally been a Guadagnini, an Amati, or a modern instrument, rarely a Strad or Guarneri.

I find it amusing when I read that a certain flute soloist has a solid gold flute, or a platinum flute. It certainly adds expense, but given that the air column vibrates and not the instrument, probably doesn't affect the sound. At least old violins do vibrate, so you can speculate to your heart's content about the effects of exotic characteristics of the wood.

Many posters on the internet like playing on particularly divisive subjects. It boosts their egos. Touting an easily found list of terms within a niche subject nearly places them among elusive company, populated by best of the best. Personally when I've been struck by the ingenuity of a troll account it was the exceptional beauty of their performance. No, I don't question what it takes to stand up nightly in front of large audiences drawn in by the allure of something legendary. Skill, at not revealing their inner failings.

Extorting more wiggle room for insinuation and derisive commentary as personal opinion is an overly used tactic on the internet. Stick to burden of proof and informed rationalizations that further the conversation. You could start with naming another survivor from Stradivarius' working period still in constant use within any field other than music. Truth of the matter is it takes the very rare studious person to exact consistently pleasing sound from instruments that old. The effects of time and repair adding to the complications and possibly rendering them nearly inferior to all that have come since.

If there is this much interest in how sound changes from the material composition of the instrument, should there not be as much interest in the material composition of the loudspeaker that plays it? The criteria would obviously be quite different as at the instrument end you are intentionally coloring the output toward a more euphonic result, whereas at the speaker end you ideally would want no coloration at all.

In box speakers this has guided the thinking of folks like Magico with their massive amount of internal bracing. But it has also long been a part of the discussion for Magnepan's as some folks add bracing to the wooden frames. That being said, it is obvious many of us prefer the "colored" version even if it is imparting its own new voice to a recording...

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

No doubt someone could demonstrate that. On the other hand I've had the opportunity to listen as a concert violinist tried out several including a strad at a violin shop. There is no question in my own mind that in the right hands the audible differences are apparent.

Thanks! This is fascinating stuff....

Information about another study with a different take linked from the page you reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/science/earth/sweetest-violins-explained-holes-fill-in-blanks.html

So we see that in the scientific study of what makes Cremona violins unique there are different theories [emoji6]