IGNORED

Just purchased Yamaha HS7 monitors, now what?

Untitled

After an incredibly long period of researching this I finally settled on Yamaha HS7 monitors for my home office for music listening. I'm now ready to figure out how I'm going to hook them up to my MacBook Pro.

As I understand, I have several options; for instance, buying a USB audio interface seems to be a common solution. But since I'm using this solely for music playback from my MBP I would prefer a more minimalist approach.

Would I have any issues connecting XLR-to-RCA cables to the back of something like the AudioEngine D1 DAC and then going USB to my MBP? I'm still not 100% certain I understand the concept of balanced vs. unbalanced cables but this setup I'm describing seems like it would work?

If not, could anyone suggest a simple (e.g. affordable and compact) alternative?

Best regards

Do a search for headphone amps with pass through XLR out, including a DAC.

RME ADI-2 Pro has a HP amp that accepts to DSD256 via USB and outputs XLR to +25db..(~ from memory, but at least +4dbV) gain.

It does the job of output XLR to speakers, DSP, Param EQ, plus bonus use of 2 headphones of any electrical design. EUR1875.

OR SPL director, combo preamp out with DAC inputs. Priced a little higher.

XLR (balanced) cables reducee common mode noise by at least 25db, so their use is without question compared with RCA connectors.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

My comments in bold type.

After an incredibly long period of researching this I finally settled on Yamaha HS7 monitors for my home office for music listening. I'm now ready to figure out how I'm going to hook them up to my MacBook Pro.

As I understand, I have several options; for instance, buying a USB audio interface seems to be a common solution. But since I'm using this solely for music playback from my MBP I would prefer a more minimalist approach.

What do you mean by a USB interface? A pro-audio device that has ADC functions to get audio into a computer as well as DAC functions out of the computer?

Would I have any issues connecting XLR-to-RCA cables to the back of something like the AudioEngine D1 DAC and then going USB to my MBP? I'm still not 100% certain I understand the concept of balanced vs. unbalanced cables but this setup I'm describing seems like it would work?

You need a pair of RCA phono to XLR adapters like these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SAXFRM-2x5-Patch-Cable/dp/B00AFEMMVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482733727&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+to+xlr+adapter

The standard for balanced audio levels (voltages) on pro audio gear is higher than the standard for unbalanced audio levels on consumer gear. You might not get enough volume with the D1 DAC and the Yamaha monitors. If so, you could use an active device like this one to amplify the output from the D1 DAC. The Yamaha has a level control so this extra device will probably not be necessary.

If not, could anyone suggest a simple (e.g. affordable and compact) alternative?

The simplest thing is to look for a USB DAC that has balanced outputs. Connect the DAC to the Yamahas with balanced cables with XLR connectors.

Comments in bold below.

Thanks for you insights. Would this TEAC UD-301 work?

I have no experience with it. It has a XLR outputs and a volume control which fits. If the volume control works i the digital domain, find out whether it works on 24 bit samples (OK) or on 16 bit samples (not so good).

TEAC UD-301 (Silver) DAC/headphone amplifier/preamp at Crutchfield.com

Only thing is, the YHS7's are already powered.

I talked about input levels being different. That might require an active (powered) device to boost the voltage from consumer DAC levels to pro-audio levels. Not a consumer power amp or integrated amp or receiver. Something like this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ELXDVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If a DAC has balanced outputs, the output levels should be a good match for what the Yamahas need.

I like the Emotiva DC-1 Dac/pre. For $499 it's pretty good.

I've had one since they came out - it's fabulous, and nothing I've heard since makes me even consider moving away from it. With balanced XLR outputs and a great remote, it's a wonderful choice. I'm not a novice & have had numerous DACs - the Emotiva's a great choice and my primary DAC since I got it.

Thanks to all that replied. I received my TEAC UD-301 today and hooked up the HS7s via XLR connections to the back and plugged into my MBP via USB and voila... Valhalla.

Aural bliss.

Aural bliss is a good state of being, eh!

JJinPDX