IGNORED

CEC TL0-X vs Berkeley Alpha USB

amir57bs

Yeah, I am just considering trying many options, so far I have not liked ROON's sound engine alone, and HQPlayer alone is no fun for browsing the library.

If I build a minimal DSD DAC like the variations of Jussi's DSC-1 now available, i would want the capability to oversample to DSD 256, but dealing with big PC is another PIA. I doubt the ROON guys have developed filters as good as Jussi's for their PCM-DSD conversion. IME the folks designing good filters have been at it for a long while.

We (Sonore) have some stuff in the works as well, way too early to know what will come of it though...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Yeah, I am just considering trying many options, so far I have not liked ROON's sound engine alone, and HQPlayer alone is no fun for browsing the library.

If I build a minimal DSD DAC like the variations of Jussi's DSC-1 now available, i would want the capability to oversample to DSD 256, but dealing with big PC is another PIA. I doubt the ROON guys have developed filters as good as Jussi's for their PCM-DSD conversion. IME the folks designing good filters have been at it for a long while.

We (Sonore) have some stuff in the works as well, way too early to know what will come of it though...

So on mac your options for high rate DSD upsampling are to get a powerful mac (duh!). Your options for cuda are very limited, specifically a mac pro tower. Again not made anymore. My main computer is actually a 2010 xeon mac pro tower with a pcie ssd and 18tb of internal storage (more than music plus time machine).

I actually don't know how much processing power is required for DSD256. When Edward brought over the SGM for audition, he also brought a TAD DAC and used Roon to HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512. The SGM runs a fanless i7 (quad core?) and it looked like it was doing just fine - and sounding great. So I guess we are OT already... There's likely an HQP thread on this.

I think a Windows 10 machine is actually not a bad option for a server to run Roon core in, rip, and generally manage the library. YMMV.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Hi Barrows,

How is a big PC a PITA? Is it the physical size? Mine is easy to operate, is in a nice manageable HTPC case, and only has three cables, AC power, 5 volt DC power for the ssd, and a USB connection.

Windows is a bit of a PITA for sure, but not horrible. Linux is always an option as well, but dicey with native DSD.

I would be surprised, and very impressed, if Roon can find an PCM to DSD upsampling Algo that beats HQplayer sound quality that works on low performance PCs. You can move complexity but not eliminate it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I am surprised by that poster's findings. microRendu vs a tweaked Mac Mini and the differences are small?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hi Barrows,

How is a big PC a PITA? Is it the physical size? Mine is easy to operate, is in a nice manageable HTPC case, and only has three cables, AC power, 5 volt DC power for the ssd, and a USB connection.

Windows is a bit of a PITA for sure, but not horrible. Linux is always an option as well, but dicey with native DSD.

I would be surprised, and very impressed, if Roon can find an PCM to DSD upsampling Algo that beats HQplayer sound quality that works on low performance PCs. You can move complexity but not eliminate it.

I would just rather not bother with additional computers, that is all. Additionally, I agree on ROON conversions as I mentioned in another post, I doubt they have any chance of equaling Jussi's considerable work on this.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a good low power cpu/mainboard to install ubuntu(rt kernel)/mpd

it seems Intel Pentium Processor N4200 (Goldmont based Pentiums – Apollo Lake 14 nm Socket FC-BGA 1296) is good.

mainboard : Supermicro X11SAA

i think TDP 6 watt is good for cpu.

adding Sotm PCIe to USB to this mainboard with external power supply is not bad idea.

any idea?

• 5 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 12:40 PM, Nikhil said:

Amir, you are not the only one who has come to this conclusion.

If you are still interested in pursuing computer audio I would recommend the Aurender N10 or W20.

The Aurender devices are reference level network transports with support for NAS and library management apps.

I think the only Music Server could replace our Transports is Wadax Reference + PSU + optic Cable

Taiko Extreme is second to Wadax but i think Computer playback needs Wadax Music Server