IGNORED

CEC TL0-X vs Berkeley Alpha USB

amir57bs

i think no other usb to spdif converter is better than berkeley alpha usb.

no PSU upgrade is possible .

i just feed 14/44.1 bit perfect I no analog no digital filter. i use bit perfect setting. i do not use upsampling in any way.

A PSU upgrade is possible. I am using a Paul Hynes SR7 EHD-9v for 2 years now.

IMG_1036_zpsoytspfne.jpg

IMG_1035_zpstohett05.jpg

MicroRendu is not a USB filter. MicroRendu is a music renderer. So your laptop will go somewhere else in your home running Roon. MicroRendu will replace your laptop, plugging into an Ethernet connection and your laptop can choose what music will play from Roon and make sure MicroRendu received the music stream and the MicroRendu will play the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

listen me, audio world is not digital, it is analog even in digital domain we should think analog . in analog design i am minimalist.

minimalist design in digital domain mean no extra device should be connected to chain. MicroRendu is an extra device. i am sure it kill sound

OP's DAC supports USB input. Suggest trying microRendu with whatever computer config is desired (running Roon). HQPlayer upsampling is even better, but simple Roon to microRendu is the first thing to try. This is the best I have heard in my system (details in my signature are up to date).

i know audio game. microrendu and HQplayer are not good solutions

This is a Windows 10 based server running Roon and HQPlayer. Fully tricked out, massive physically, with fanless cooling. It is a gorgeous piece.

I auditioned one in my system, Edward was very kind to bring one over during a trip to NY. It sounded fantastic.

However, I would deem the sound of the microRendu as good, IN MY SYSTEM. This is hard to say precisely as we didn't switch back and forth. I will say it sounded better than my mini connected directly to my DAC.

One more comment: the CEC might sound great in your system and to your liking. Every component has a sound of it's own, all of them getting closer together as you increase the component quality. Best transport in the world? Hard to say.

dear miguelito

CEC is far from other transports.

if i say my macbook/berkeley was not good i mean my macbook/berkeley is better than over 50k$ transports but it is not better than CEC.

i am bit perfect guy. i do not like upsamle i do not like any digital filter

Your convictions are not supported by science nor by the listening experience of many if not most.

Have you tried HQPlayer or is it too hard to bend your self-imposed dogmas?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Your convictions are not supported by science nor by the listening experience of many if not most.

Have you tried HQPlayer or is it too hard to bend your self-imposed dogmas?

audio is not science , audio is black art.

a 1% distortion audio note amplifier ouperform 0.000001% distortion solidstate amplifier.

many subjective experience is their experience not my cup of tea

audio is not science , audio is black art.

a 1% distortion audio note amplifier ouperform 0.000001% distortion solidstate amplifier.

many subjective experience is their experience not my cup of tea

Your example makes no sense.

But moving on, did you try upsampling?

If you don't consider that audio is science then the other way is to try...

You've not been posting here for long but I have seen your posts in goodsoundclub.com and it looks like you are playing a Romy...unsubstantiated.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Your example makes no sense.

But moving on, did you try upsampling?

If you don't consider that audio is science then the other way is to try...

You've not been posting here for long but I have seen your posts in goodsoundclub.com and it looks like you are playing a Romy...unsubstantiated.

i heard upsample but did not have extensive test on upsampling.

yes, i am member of goodsoundclub forum.

i respect romy , he is very smart in audio. i found DPOLS concept just in romy site, he use CEC and purist cable , we tested many cables and many transports but non of them were as good as CEC and purist. i am not romy follower but his idea are really useful.

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=6&postID=22899#22899

my english is not good , what means "playing a romy"?

many users in this forum prefer uptone regen but i do not like it. many use audio quest diamond but i prefer purist , many use upsampling but i prefer bit perfect. i like emotional sound not hi resolution sound. sound should be dynamic in both micro and macro with beautiful tone.

90% of market give you low noise high resolution sound but not emotional sound.

this is my website about audio :

www.hifi.ir

i heard upsample but did not have extensive test on upsampling.

yes, i am member of goodsoundclub forum.

i respect romy , he is very smart in audio. i found DPOLS concept just in romy site, he use CEC and purist cable , we tested many cables and many transports but non of them were as good as CEC and purist. i am not romy follower but his idea are really useful.

GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - My revision

my english is not good , what means "playing a romy"?

many users in this forum prefer uptone regen but i do not like it. many use audio quest diamond but i prefer purist , many use upsampling but i prefer bit perfect. i like emotional sound not hi resolution sound. sound should be dynamic in both micro and macro with beautiful tone.

90% of market give you low noise high resolution sound but not emotional sound.

this is my website about audio :

www.hifi.ir

Ok, cat's out of the bag.

Please do tell us what a great computer audio system is. I'm actually interested, maybe you have some information that I'm unaware of.

On the CEC being the best transport inthe world, we will have to disagree.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Ok, cat's out of the bag.

Please do tell us what a great computer audio system is. I'm actually interested, maybe you have some information that I'm unaware of.

On the CEC being the best transport inthe world, we will have to disagree.

i do not know what a great computer audio is but i know how it should sound.

use your DAC as pre if it has volume control then put a pre in chain. without pre the sound is alittle empty and with pre the sound live up and you hear fuller sound with better micro dynamics. this is exactly the difference between CEC and macbook/berkeley.

CEC is full of micro dynamic shading but my macbook/berkeley is alittle empty in comparision.

one of most important difference between LP and CD is the same micro dynamics and fullness. CD could not be as linear as LP in micro dynamics.

if you want to judge CEC you should have a good DAC and high transparent emotional system.

i do not know what a great computer audio is but i know how it should sound.

use your DAC as pre if it has volume control then put a pre in chain. without pre the sound is alittle empty and with pre the sound live up and you hear fuller sound with better micro dynamics. this is exactly the difference between CEC and macbook/berkeley.

CEC is full of micro dynamic shading but my macbook/berkeley is alittle empty in comparision.

one of most important difference between LP and CD is the same micro dynamics and fullness. CD could not be as linear as LP in micro dynamics.

if you want to judge CEC you should have a good DAC and high transparent emotional system.

I suggest you try the microRendu directly into your AMR USB input. You can have Roon play directly to it, no HQPlayer in the middle.

As for the transport, I'm sure your CEC sounds great into your AMR. In my case, the connection between transport (Esoteric) and DAC is more direct, as there's no SPDIF step.

Finally, emotional connection to the music - meaning a system that ultimately makes me want to play music and forget about the system - is the most important thing to me. In this regard I have tried to make my system as simple as possible. See the description in my profile. Best system? There's no answer to that question.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

could you send me some pics from inside of berkeley?

I used a switchcraft dc power jack and furutech hookup wire with the same plug that berkeley used. I found the plug parts at mouser.com.

I do not have any inside photos presently. I found this photo on line.

Alpha_USB_inside_zpstjfiirj1.jpg

Disconnect the factory plug move it aside and plug in the new one connected to the switchcraft jack.

I suggest you try the microRendu directly into your AMR USB input. You can have Roon play directly to it, no HQPlayer in the middle.

As for the transport, I'm sure your CEC sounds great into your AMR. In my case, the connection between transport (Esoteric) and DAC is more direct, as there's no SPDIF step.

Finally, emotional connection to the music - meaning a system that ultimately makes me want to play music and forget about the system - is the most important thing to me. In this regard I have tried to make my system as simple as possible. See the description in my profile. Best system? There's no answer to that question.

i like your kondo

I used a switchcraft dc power jack and furutech hookup wire with the same plug that berkeley used. I found the plug parts at mouser.com.

I do not have any inside photos presently. I found this photo on line.

Alpha_USB_inside_zpstjfiirj1.jpg

Disconnect the factory plug move it aside and plug in the new one connected to the switchcraft jack.

Thank you.

what about sound after upgrading PSU?

Amir, you are not the only one who has come to this conclusion.

If you are still interested in pursuing computer audio I would recommend the Aurender N10 or W20.

The Aurender devices are reference level network transports with support for NAS and library management apps.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I was just about to recommend Aurender... beat me to it.

If you are still interested in pursuing computer audio I would recommend the Aurender N10 or W20.

The Aurender devices are reference level network transports with support for NAS and library management apps.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

You can greatly improve the sound of your BADA USB converter by using a quality PC server. Not all computers have been created equal - as most CA readers already found out. Servers like SGM 2015 or Aurender W20, eat MacBook for breakfast.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

aurender sounds hifi , it is not good to me . it hate high resolution sound , i love emotional sound like Audio Note.

You can greatly improve the sound of your BADA USB converter by using a quality PC server. Not all computers have been created equal - as most CA readers already found out. Servers like SGM 2015 or Aurender W20, eat MacBook for breakfast.

i use macbook pro 2014 retina core i5 8gb ram. the sound improved by using Roon labs and turing off unnecessary process by CAD optimization script (all EQ off and bypass all digitAL volume ).

i use sudo renice to improve coreaudiod priority. i also used uptone regen and iusb 3.0 , both were not good.

i also used external battery to get 5v usb .

many extensive listening test have done and i think my sound is good very good even better than many high price transports.

it just could not beat CEC TL0-X.

be sure my macbook eat Aurender W20 .

i am not sure using fanless intel NUC as you use (CAPS v4 Pipeline) will beat CEC or not. i think both PC and berkeley need better power supply and maybe using inter nuc help but i am not sure to outperform CEC.