IGNORED

Tidal/Google Chrome / USB / Chord Mojo = no sound. Any ideas

Hi all. changed my desktop setup and I am having problems. Tidal HIFI is my preferred source. Running in Chrome on an IMac. USB out to a Chord Mojo out to powered Dynaudio monitors.

I am not getting any sound though. I can use itunes and the setup works fine. I can access Tidal via Safari and the system works fine (just lower res as the only way to get what tidal calls "hifi" is via Google Chrome.

Am I missing something obvious ? (i hope!)

I tried connecting via M2Tech HIFACE so that the usb was converted to spdif and then ran that into the berkeley dac from my main system and that worked with Google Chrome and tidal hifi so I am thinking that there is some sort of problem with tidal / google chrome and the usb connection to the mojo.

I will try and track down a mini spdif to try running from the hiface to the mojo and see if that plays but if anyone knows of a setting that i need to change or a simple fix to get google chrome / tidal to output usb to the mojo I would be grateful!

thx

beeeeeeeeecauuuuuuuse

up until the exact moment that i read your post i didn't know that there was such a thing. Found the app and all fixed now.

sounds pretty good through the mojo. not as good as the berkely though. bot for the price it sounds just fine.

might be giving something up with the digital volume control on the mojo. Right now I have the vol all the way up on the tidal app and am controlling sound level with the mojo's vol as I don't have any other sort of pre in the system.

Anyways thanks for pointing out the app. I looked a while back in the app store and didn't find it. Honestly, I am amazed that i can get a computer to play music at all. I'm too old!

beeeeeeeeecauuuuuuuse

up until the exact moment that i read your post i didn't know that there was such a thing. Found the app and all fixed now.

sounds pretty good through the mojo. not as good as the berkely though. bot for the price it sounds just fine.

might be giving something up with the digital volume control on the mojo. Right now I have the vol all the way up on the tidal app and am controlling sound level with the mojo's vol as I don't have any other sort of pre in the system.

Anyways thanks for pointing out the app. I looked a while back in the app store and didn't find it. Honestly, I am amazed that i can get a computer to play music at all. I'm too old!

Glad to help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

sounds pretty good through the mojo. not as good as the berkely though.

might be giving something up with the digital volume control on the mojo.

You can probably get the sound quite a bit closer to the Berkeley if you buy an Audioquest Jitterbug to filter the USB noise from your iMac into the Chord Mojo. I usually listen to the Mojo with my iPad/iPhone but whenever I connect it to my noisier laptop or desktop, I find a sound quality drop but adding the Audioquest Jitterbug significantly ups the sound quality back.

And you should always feed the Chord Mojo with bit-perfect signal if possible, that means keeping the Tidal app and iMac volume at maximum and using the Chord Mojo for volume control. Mojo digital volume control has less distortion than your iMac digital volume control.

If you press the both volume buttons and then the powerbutton on the Mojo you will get a higher output.

Putting Mojo in "line level mode" by pressing both volume buttons before power up, it would actually simply fix the Mojo output at 3V with both buttons being light blue (I would call that light purple, unlikely the manual). But you can actually just use the Mojo volume control and change the color of the balls to light blue and the Mojo would still put out 3V. Moreover, you can continue to crank up the Mojo volume beyond 3V without clipping. Mojo can go up to 5.3V maximum without clipping. You can get there by pressing the volume up button 5 more times after you get to 3V with the balls both light blue (light purple). Also, some preamplifiers cannot take 3V input signal so if the input sensitivity of the preamplifier is 2V, I would click the Mojo volume down buttons 4 times from the 3V line output mode to get to 2V (which I would say is more dark purple).

You can probably get the sound quite a bit closer to the Berkeley if you buy an Audioquest Jitterbug to filter the USB noise from your iMac into the Chord Mojo. I usually listen to the Mojo with my iPad/iPhone but whenever I connect it to my noisier laptop or desktop, I find a sound quality drop but adding the Audioquest Jitterbug significantly ups the sound quality back.

And you should always feed the Chord Mojo with bit-perfect signal if possible, that means keeping the Tidal app and iMac volume at maximum and using the Chord Mojo for volume control. Mojo digital volume control has less distortion than your iMac digital volume control.

jitterbug is on the way. Thanks of the idea.

Now that I have the tidal app running these is noticeably better to my ears than iTunes or iTunes / tidal from my phone. might be the source quality though. Tidal app on the desktop seems like a better quality source than the iPhone app on my phone.

It is certainly growing on me. And the vol control on the mojo seems fine even at lower levels.

Makes actually getting work done at my desk a challenge as I find myself zoning out. Good stuff.

playing more with the desktop app, mojo seems to think that it is getting 192kHz from the computer on tidal vs standard 44kHz from desktop iTunes or anything coming from my phone.

Do y'all have the same experience?

Putting Mojo in "line level mode" by pressing both volume buttons before power up, it would actually simply fix the Mojo output at 3V with both buttons being light blue (I would call that light purple, unlikely the manual). But you can actually just use the Mojo volume control and change the color of the balls to light blue and the Mojo would still put out 3V. Moreover, you can continue to crank up the Mojo volume beyond 3V without clipping. Mojo can go up to 5.3V maximum without clipping. You can get there by pressing the volume up button 5 more times after you get to 3V with the balls both light blue (light purple). Also, some preamplifiers cannot take 3V input signal so if the input sensitivity of the preamplifier is 2V, I would click the Mojo volume down buttons 4 times from the 3V line output mode to get to 2V (which I would say is more dark purple).

With powered monitors like the dynaudio X14a, I can just turn the mojo up till the sound quality suffers or the wife complains right?

playing more with the desktop app, mojo seems to think that it is getting 192kHz from the computer on tidal vs standard 44kHz from desktop iTunes or anything coming from my phone.

You should set Tidal to play bit-perfect to Mojo. Not being a OS X person, I'm not sure how to approach this. In the Windows Tidal app, there's a place to set which audio driver to use to play Tidal under settings and then streaming where you get to choose your sound output.

But in OS X, my understanding is that you want to set the Audio MIDI setup to 44kHz so that all applications would feed the DAC at 44kHz. But since I don't have a Mac, I can't troubleshoot further for you. Maybe someone else on the forum can.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile