IGNORED

Pi3, BBB , Odroid? Or ID pi? Which SBC to use as Endpoint or Music server for Jriver?

Just came back from Munich, where i have now a dependance at my old friends place. In order to enhance our shared musical experience, I'd like to build an easy to use renderer/endpoint/ music server that runs linux and jriver, has usb out for dragonfly (or a dac board alternatively) and wifi. The source will be either a hd connected to the wifi router or notebook w/jriver w/in the wifi network. I have seen different approaches here on CA and was wondering which one might be actually the most easy to use and stable way to go. I was also thinking about a mini comp with Windows 7 but that would be rather the route of last resort. Ah yes, not sure others than flac 16/44 up to 24/96 will be pushed through the wireless network.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and your considerations with me.

Cheers and Happy Xmas

Tom/France

Hi Tom, my personal experience is that volumio is a great way to start. It is free, has a large community, easy to set up (just follow the steps explained on their site) and sounds superb.

Most people use the pi2 or 3, which I started with too. Then I moved to the hummingboard edge, it sounded better, but is more expensive. You can choose what processor and memory you want. Mine has a quad-core with 2gb memory which is much faster then the pi and makes it more future proof. It also has a pci-e port so you can later add an audiophile USB card like Paul pang V2. And there's a sata port. The optional metal case looks really sexy.

Powering sbc with a lineair power supply is the way to go. For 150 euro you can buy an Teradak 30w, they build it at your required voltage.

The next big step is using an USB reclocker like an uptone regen. Powering it with a lineair power supply makes it even better.

Eventually you could buy hqplayer, install it on your notebook and use the sbc as an NAA, which is the way to go I believe.

Dacs make a huge difference, I have good experiences with Schiit dacs and the bifrost is quite affortable and can be upgraded.

If you want to do things right the first time buy a Sotm sms200, its the renderer of all renderers and costs 550 euro.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Thank you for your replys and your suggestions!

I have looked further into the subject, and decided i will follow the volumio path, where the newest version does not support the bbb yet.

So rpi 2b with dragonfly red will challenge rpi 3b and hifiberry dac+ (or pro). Need to order the parts today and test a bit ... But the idea looks convincing at the moment.

Cheers Tom

Hi... Then I moved to the hummingboard edge, it sounded better, but is more expensive. You can choose what processor and memory you want. Mine has a quad-core with 2gb memory which is much faster then the pi and makes it more future proof. It also has a pci-e port so you can later add an audiophile USB card like Paul pang V2. And there's a sata port. ...

Hi,

Have you successfully operated the USB PCIe card (PaulPang, SOTM,...) with Hummingboard Edge ?

CD40s (3DLab) - EDEL NMR (Engineered) -or- DAPHILE (Q1900itx (Asrock) + LPS 100W (HDPLEX) + tX-USBexp (SOtM) - HYDRA-Z (Audiobyte) + LPS-1 (UpTone) - BLACK DRAGON (Audiobyte) - 2 x Ncore NC400 (Hypex) - M4 (P. E. Léon) - Cables: (Mapleshade, Audioprana, Nordost, Referenz1017, Pangea, Zavfino, Elecaudio, Tomanek) + FMC (TPlink) & NAS (OMV)

Thank you, Jim, for responding!

Yes, I had noticed, that the fully baked ID Pi is not yet available. As a customer of a Windows Installation of JRMC22 I was wondering what would be the options?

From my point of view, an upgrade to master licence and a downloadable image for the RPi ID would suit, but I could not find this solution in the jriver universum. Can't see the necessarity to ship a microSD with image to France for that.

Cheers Tom.